Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Maca Root
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: September 24, 2011 11:30PM

I was thinking about adding maca to my smoothies, and read that because it contains glucosinolates, whatever those are, it may interfere with iodine absorption, and cause goiter. I wanted to take it for the high nutritional value and adaptogenic properties, but now I'm a little hesitant. I am looking for thyroid and adrenal support.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Maca Root
Posted by: merry ()
Date: September 25, 2011 10:58AM

personally maca gave me extreme fatigue even when I was taking a moderate dose. But some people seem to do fine on it...just check your bodies reaction after a couple of weeks to make sure it isn't making you more tired (I was very energised by it in the beginning before getting the fatigue) .

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 25, 2011 11:13AM

I suspect you were allergic merry for maca to have done that.

Its true about maca containing glucosinolates but in the amount you would use maca i.e half-1 teaspoon 3 times daily i wouldn't worry. There are better adaptogens though in my opinion such as schizandra berry and jiaogulan. Jiaogulan is much richer in sterols than maca also.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 25, 2011 03:14PM

ok. thanks.

I was watching some David Wolfe videos lately, and he said something really interesting about herbs that I really liked. He said something like they are wild plants that we intuitively take to better our health... something like that. And what I took away with me, was a deep knowing that my body will ultimately lead me to the foods and herbs and things it needs.

The last few times I have been at the store, this bag of Maca just stares at me. I hadn't bought it, thinking that I didn't really need it, and not even truly knowing what it actually was. After I listened to David Wolfe say that, I looked it up, discovered the possible goitrogenic quality, which I definitely don't need, and then became confused, which is why I asked this question here.

However, even before you guys replied, I decided to trust my instincts and buy it. There's something in it that I need and I'm not sure what, but I'm going to go ahead and listen to my body and take it for a while.

Date: September 25, 2011 03:36PM

Thats cool marshsmiling smiley, I suspect myself that im allergic to maca so i don't use it often myself. If a herb that is non-stimulant raises your pulse rate it is quite likely that you are allergic to it. The adrenal glands release epinephrine to counter the allergen, epinephrine constricts the blood vessels increasing heart rate.

Schizandra berry is one of my favorite adaptogens probably i have a higher affinity for as its a great liver herb for speeding up regeneration etc. Jiaogulan im also very fond of as its one if not the richest herbal source of sterols which have alot of benefits on there own.

At the moment though im using a great product by Jing Herbs known as STR-12 its a blend of 12 medicinal mushrooms and it is really supportive to the adrenal glands. Many of the mushrooms are adaptogenic and adrenal supportive such as reishi, cordyceps etc. Only problem is that using it at the max dose is quite expensive.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 25, 2011 04:42PM

I love schizandra also. When I first started on it a month or so ago, I could hardly tolerate it. It made me so nauseated. I reduced the amount to just one cap, which I felt fine with, now I take 3 in the morning. I love ashwagandha alot also, which I take in the evening. I have not yet delved into the world of mushrooms, but I hear they have many great benefits.

I have a new appreciation for herbs and superfoods these days, and am going to slowly add more to my diet. In a David Wolfe video, he showed how he made an herbal decoction from various herbs and used it as a base to smoothies. Kind of an interesting idea to increase nutrients.

Another interesting thing I heard him say, was that when we take herbs or powerful superfoods, it's good to take a rest from them after a feew weeks. I knew this, but the term he used was great. He said that the body responds to the "pulsing" action: ...using them and then taking a break, and then using them, and taking a break, etc... great concept.

Date: September 25, 2011 05:31PM

Some herbs need to be used continuously for effects though such as vitex chastle berry but yeah taking a few weeks break every now and then is a good idea.

I would look into the herbal powders in there raw form marsh, not only are they cheaper, many herbs such as the ones with bitter taste offer more benefits by coming in contact with the back of the tongue(digestive/liver cleanse). I also feel the raw powders work better than the expensive encapsulated formulas. Plus there are no flow agents etc added to the capsules.

David Wolfe is ok although i don't agree with alot of the information he comes out with at times. With most herbs i prefer to take them on an empty stomach at least 25 minutes before meals so that food doesn't block the absorption of the beneficial nutrients and compounds they contain.

Do look into medicinal mushrooms they have a wealth of benefits and many are very well researched. Chaga, Reishi and Cordyceps are amongst my favorites.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2011 05:32PM by powerlifer.

Date: September 25, 2011 05:49PM

Hey, Pl- About the caps, I buy my own powdered herbs and then make my own capsules. I have a great little capsule maker that I purchased years ago. Much cheaper and much fresher herbs that way. Some bitters, like bupleurum, I take directly without a cap, Sometimes I take ashwahganha that way, too. Just depends.

I hear what you're saying about the bitter herbs, and about nutrient absorption when taken on an empty stomach. and I agree. I just thought it was an interesting idea to utilize the water base of a smoothie by substituting a decoction of herbs. They'd have to be fairly mild tasting, though, or it would ruin the taste.

I do really like David Wolfe, although he is pretty far out. I have to disagree about this position on cocao, however, For me, it is way to stimulating, and I can't see the health advantage of caffeine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2011 05:51PM by marsh.

Date: September 25, 2011 05:58PM

Ahh thats great about making your own capsules and taking the right herbs such as bitters via powdersmiling smiley, im sure i now remember you saying that a while back to me when i said about it.

I agree cacao is not something you would want to take daily anyway, moderate cacao use for those with normal functioning adrenal glands would probably be ok.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: merry ()
Date: September 26, 2011 02:59AM

I may be allergic to maca root and thats why it made me tired - its strange though that I felt super energetic in the beginning before the fatigue set in. I had a similar reaction with noni juice. In both cases I was told that if I went through a few weeks like that I would come through it and start to feel better but I had to work and couldn't do so with such strong fatigue...
I wish maca could work for me because its supposed to be great at balancing hormones.

Date: September 26, 2011 03:21AM

merry, I'm curious about noni. Did you like it? What does it taste like?

Date: September 26, 2011 09:21AM

Did you feel a pulse increase merry?, that would give you a good idea if you were allergic due to the epinephrine release.

As for balancing hormones if thats still something you need to do then bitter herbs on the back of the tongue are a great start in cleansing the liver. A good functioning liver can metabolize and break down excess hormones.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: September 27, 2011 11:29AM

Hi Powerlifer...should the bitter herbs be taken seperately from others for the liver, or is it ok to mix them in with water and other herbs?

februarygirl

Date: September 27, 2011 11:37AM

Februarygirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Powerlifer...should the bitter herbs be taken
> seperately from others for the liver, or is it ok
> to mix them in with water and other herbs?

Hey Februarygirl, you can take them at the same time.

Although if you are using the bitters primarily to increase digestion then you only need a pinch on the back of the tongue pre meal. If you are using the bitters to cleanse the liver then it would be ok to mix with the recommended dose of liver herbs and as usual around 25-30 minutes before meals so none of the actives are blocked for absorption.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: September 27, 2011 11:50AM

got it...thankssmiling smiley

februarygirl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables