Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I was neither raw nor vegan today : (
Posted by: rad gal ()
Date: September 25, 2011 11:24PM

I had been 100% raw until today...was SO hungry and craved eggs and meat and had both~

Not sure how I feel about this other than I was SO hungry and everything raw just didn't feel like it would hit the spot~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I was neither raw nor vegan today : (
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: September 26, 2011 12:13AM

You might try binging on Fruit when you feel weak. A creamy Avocado hits the spot for me. Only problem....I'm having to pay $2.50 for each one......WY
P.S. When you get through the rough period, you'll feel much better about yourself.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 26, 2011 12:42AM

I wouldn't beat yourself up for not being raw but I am curious about the meat part. Before you went raw, were you ever just vegan? Did you ever eat fake meat products? I can see craving stuff that tastes like bacon or burgers but taking it to the next level of actually eating meat is where I draw the line. But I know that people come to raw/vegan for different reasons so that's why I am curioussmiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 26, 2011 12:48AM

Hope you feel OK after this, mentally and physically, and don't feel the need to berate yourself. Please remember that there is a learning curve with this, and that if it matters enough to you, you'll achieve your optimal rawness in time. Good luck smiling smiley

Date: September 26, 2011 12:55AM

Thank you everyone~

In answer to banana who, I went to a raw vegan potluck in early August and was amazed at the entrees--had no idea about zucchini pasta and raw tacos and that there were such entrees that were so filling and delicious

I took 3 raw vegan classes and was pretty much 100%~

I had not be vegan or even vegetarian before this and jumped in with both feet. I'm moving from St. Louis to L.A. next week and have been under so much stress and I think that all that contributed to everything. My prayer is that once I'm settled in L.A., I can resume raw veganism 100%~

I look forward to when I'll have recipes memorized and not get so overwhelmed with what to eat when I'm hungry as I felt today~

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: September 26, 2011 03:39PM

Each day is a new day.
Never never never never never never never never give up.smiling smiley

Vinny

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: September 26, 2011 04:09PM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might try binging on Fruit when you feel weak.
> A creamy Avocado hits the spot for me. Only
> problem....I'm having to pay $2.50 for each
> one......WY
> P.S. When you get through the rough period, you'll
> feel much better about yourself.

This.

Fruits are where you wanna get your calories from when you hit cravings. Read 80/10/10 by Doug Graham. A lot of people fall from the wagon cos they beleive they've at a lot (vegetables, green smoothies) but feel week cos greens/veg have scant calories in them.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 26, 2011 06:10PM

I've never yet heard of anyone who could go 100% raw and stay that way the very first time they tried. It usually takes a lot of practice, so don't worry!

I like banana who's philosophy about staying vegan. It's for the animals, and it's a very good place to draw the line.

Tofu Scrambler - a packaged mix available at healthfood stores - is a great replacement for eggs. It's possible that once you discover all the great vegan foods (including good old-fashioned brown rice and beans/veggies) you may want to put off going 100% raw for a while. That would be OK.

It would be much better to ease into this in a manner that's comfortable for you than to jump right in and then bounce all over the place. A lot of people do that. It's not their fault, but going a little slower might be more beneficial in the long run.

I would also add that in my experience, eating lots of fruit is great! But it's best to avoid stuffing yourself with fruit, especially past the point where you're enjoying it. There's enough other good stuff out there that won't hurt you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 06:19PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Hathi4 ()
Date: September 26, 2011 07:36PM

10+ year raw foodie living in L.A. here. If you need help when you arrive, just let me know. I know where all the good shops, farmers markets and restaurants are to get you and keep you going on your raw journey. :-)

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: September 27, 2011 01:09AM

ever try pine (pignoli) nuts?
i find them like the pinnacle of proteins. so good.
, you only need to eat like a couple of tablespoons of them to make you really feel like you had a treat.
mmmmmm...pine nuts
i don't do meat but i still have eggs. i try and eat at least one yolk a week. gross to think about but oh well.

Date: September 27, 2011 01:09AM

Rad Gal- OMG, in LA you have it made! CA has the most raw places and best produce markets (I think) in the whole country, you lucky duck!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 27, 2011 02:07AM

I am still transitioning to veganism, so I quite often have these artificial chicken burgers, and fake meat burgers. I found that they are more filling actually, and taste better than the real thing. Who would have thought?

Posted by: Hathi4 ()
Date: September 27, 2011 01:02PM

banana who I'd have to give that award to San Diego. I was living down there when I went raw and moved to L.A. a few years after. I still miss Jimbo's (small HFS chain), Henry's, the Hillcrest farmers market (they had dragon fruit!) and best of all, the Ocean Beach Co-op, which not only had a wide variety of raw food items and organic produce but was also entirely vegetarian; a whole two-story shop and not one strip of dead animal flesh to be seen! grinning smiley

The only thing L.A. has over San Diego is more raw food restaurants, though several have been opened here since my move, so San Diego may have caught up. I am a pretty simple eater; just whole fruits and salads and stuff. So number of restaurants is not important to me but still, have to give credit where credit is due. smiling smiley

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: October 01, 2011 03:51AM

Being angry with yourself or frustrated or what ever is not helpful in your journey towards good and healthy living so you ate something off the charts... tomorrow is another day and move on... I'll tell ya though today i drove by a steak joint and do you know how good it smelled to me??? I've ben mostly raw vegan for almost 2 1/2 years... me... I don't know if you all do this for health or spiritual reasons I'm kind of a mix of both but I had a strange thought the other day which really challenged me ... "If God came down and offered me a steak dinner with all the fixings... would I eat it?" Interesting thought aye?

Happy journeys Might be coming out that way soon myself... don't think i can hack another cold winder!!!

love laugh and dream

Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: October 01, 2011 12:44PM

Hi there,

Don't beat yourself up for this. I read somewhere that sometimes, when the body isn't receiving enough of what it needs, it may start craving very specific foods. Perhaps you craving meat and eggs above anything else may be your body's way of letting you know that you need more protein, or more specific fats. Are you getting your blood work done regularly? It is important to monitor our health, regardless of the dietary choices we make. If there Health is more important than anything else. Try increasing protein intake and plant sources and then see if you still crave eating meats and eggs.

Good luck!

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Date: October 16, 2011 04:15PM

"Try increasing protein intake and plant sources and then see if you still crave eating meats and eggs."

Which plant sources do you find specifically satiating?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 18, 2011 03:10PM

Sounds like you needed some fat. Avocado is a great idea. smiling smiley And greens.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 20, 2011 03:28AM

If I do eat non-vegan I usually imediately regret it and mentally apologize to the animal involved. My only struggle is with cheese and it always has been. When I went vegan I was OK with giving up everything but I was stunned that I had to give up cheese, but I did it for the most part. It's a little harder when you share a fridge with people who eat cheese and it's right there when you open the fridge.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 21, 2011 04:11AM

Make a smoothie out of 10 bananas. That should satisfy you.

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: October 21, 2011 03:27PM

Mislu Wrote:
> I am still transitioning to veganism, so I quite
> often have these artificial chicken burgers, and
> fake meat burgers. I found that they are more
> filling actually, and taste better than the real
> thing. Who would have thought?

Ahh yes, Mislu, filling, but full of GMO tofu which very detrimental to your good health.. and isen't that what being a raw vegan is about? IMO eating an egg or a piece of raw cheese would be much healthier.

To the original poster, do you have a dehydrator? My dehydrator has saved me on this journey... I make so many lucious raw goodies, including "raw" burgers... you will never be tempted to eat unhealthy again (even those chemical laden tofu burgers, yuk!)

Date: October 21, 2011 05:18PM

Do you think a dehydrator really makes much of a difference? I have been wanting to get one but am wondering if it's REALLY necessary (if I don't plan to be 100% raw, that is).

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 21, 2011 07:03PM

Its not really necessary but can open up new raw foods to you like raw burgers, crackers and other treat style food.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 21, 2011 08:46PM

Fake meat burgers can be organic.
Everyone has their own reason for eating raw vegan, for some it's strictly about health and for others it's an ethical and/or environmental issue.
We are all constantly (hopefully) improving and refining our practices so better choices every day, small step etc. If you eat something today that's not on the list tomorrow yay for progress. In the meantime don't beat yourself up or steep yourself in regret, that's worse for you than anything you could eat.

Date: October 23, 2011 06:19AM

Regarding dehydrators, I ordered an Excalibur 3900 dehydrator from Amazon two days ago and it is on its way! tongue sticking out smiley

I am SO looking forward to being able to make the gourmet raw vegan entrees (and ESPECIALLY the flax crackers) my mentor showed me how to make in the 3 raw vegan classes I took from her~

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: October 23, 2011 06:52PM

Well said.

Peace.

coco Wrote:
> Fake meat burgers can be organic.
> Everyone has their own reason for eating raw
> vegan, for some it's strictly about health and for
> others it's an ethical and/or environmental issue.
>
> We are all constantly (hopefully) improving and
> refining our practices so better choices every
> day, small step etc. If you eat something today
> that's not on the list tomorrow yay for progress.
> In the meantime don't beat yourself up or steep
> yourself in regret, that's worse for you than
> anything you could eat.

Posted by: QueenC ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:43PM

I'm in Minnesota right now and am finding it increasingly hard to stay raw the colder it gets.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 24, 2011 03:16PM

QueenC,

Do you know why you are having a hard time staying raw when it's colder? That is, do raw fruits and vegetables at room temperature not satisfy for some reason? I am in Michigan, and I'm not 100% raw, so if I feel like having a vegan broth instead of raw veg for dinner, I do, but it's not something I must do or I'll get cold, or something.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 24, 2011 04:58PM

I am too cold, I have no cravings for raw fruit and veg, I am drawn to heavier foods in the cool and colder months. It's a challenge being raw in winter, I'll be using the dehydrator to make breads and crackers this year for sure!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables