Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hexane Free Lecithin
Posted by: nik ()
Date: October 01, 2006 10:30PM

Is there such a thing? I've only seen "GMO-FREE" Lecithin. The problem though is with this and other extracts, is what do they use as a solvent to extract it? Most herbs just use alcohol or water as a solvent. Some things use mechanical extraction. I've heard that for lecithin they always use hexane or acetone (isn't that nail polish remover?).

Are there any out there that don't use any toxic chemical solvents and just use mechanical extraction or something? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hexane Free Lecithin
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 04, 2006 09:44AM

Why not go for a natural source of lecithin, eg raw tahini is high in lecithin.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: nik ()
Date: October 05, 2006 12:40AM

I'd love to go for a natural source of lecithin but I thought the only high sources were eggs and soy. I also heard that sunflower seeds have some and cabbage but not as high, but I've never heard about sesame seeds being high in lecithin. Can you direct me to a source that shows the exact quanties in these raw food sources? That's good to know.

I was also thinking for a few recipes that I wanted to use lecithin to help emulisify them, but that's not as big of a deal to go without. I'm still curious about what extracts and things these toxic chemicals are used to extract for. Either way I heard lecithin powders are all rancid and shouldn't be yellow. I need to find a natural alternative to use as an emulisifier and binder. Is guar gum that bad? I know there's food ones, but I need something that won't change the flavor of the dish to it. Hmmm... I can't think right now... smiling smiley

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: October 05, 2006 07:46AM

I heard that buckwheat baby-greens got ALOT of lecithin. We grow it and eat it everyday. Yum!

Funky, where can I find information about the comparison with buckwheat greens and raw tahini.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 05, 2006 09:28AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 06, 2006 05:59AM

buckwheat sprouts have lots of lecithin.

flax meal is a great binder for recipes.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: October 06, 2006 08:47AM

you can buy organic liquid lecithin at www.mountainroseherbs.com

they say they dont use any solvents and the lecithin is suitible for food purposes.

i dont know why you would want to eat the stuff though... its definately not raw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables