Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kale is awesome!
Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: October 01, 2006 11:39PM

I have been eating one leaf of Kale everyday, and my bruises have disappeared! smiling smiley
Just thought I'd share.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kale is awesome!
Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: October 02, 2006 03:35AM

Cool! For a while I did one leaf of khale a day processed into a soup and I consider it very cleansing!

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 02, 2006 03:51AM

Can someone tell me how to make raw kale taste good?

Posted by: jono ()
Date: October 02, 2006 05:22AM

>>Can someone tell me how to make raw kale taste good?<<

you can put it in a green smoothie and be sure to use lots of parsley. parsley covers up the bitterness of other greens like kale, and adds it's own pleasant flavor.

here's what ive been doin:

2 large handfulls of parsley (usually 1/4 of a bunch)
1 to 2 large leaves of kale
1 to 2 diced pears
1 cup of water

--> blend to a smoothie

Date: October 02, 2006 06:16AM

Many thanks for your recipe, jono. It sounds, well, unique. What is the difference between puree-ing these items in a blender, and making juice of them in a juicer? I recall reading in a juicing book that parsley is strong in its effects and should therefore be used only in small amounts. In any event, I am going to try your recipe!

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: October 02, 2006 06:39AM

Here is a kale and chard salad reciipe that i've been eating lately. it's sooo good! it's from elaina love's recipe book..

SALAD:
1 bunch fresh kale
1 bunch Swiss chard
1 medium red onion, sliced very thin
2 cloves garlic, cruched (optional)
2 medium avocados, cubed
1 medium zucchini or summer squash, julienne or 10 shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
dash of dried jalapeno or cayenne pepper

MARINADE:
3/4 cup olive or flax oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. Celtic sea salt

Remove the stems of the kale and chard, and tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Pure the marinade over the leaves and mix well with your hands. Squeeze the leaves well with your hands to help the leaves become soft and tender.

Mix rest of the saad ingredients into the bowl and allow to marinade for another hour or more.

TIPS:
The longer you alalow the salad to marainade the tenderer it becomes.

The salad will keep, well sealed, in your refrigerator for up to 5 days.

For a creamy dressing, place the marinade ingredients in the blender with one of the avocados and blend. For variety, add a chunk of ginger to the bender.

Enjoy!!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 02, 2006 08:05AM

kale is my best friend
errr. atleast ONE of my buddies

cheers

Posted by: jono ()
Date: October 02, 2006 09:26PM

Horsea,
to answer you question, juicing removes fiber from foods. green smoothies retain fiber. and fiber is good for you, or so i hear.
regarding safety of parsley, i just read that its one of those foods (like spinach) that contain oxalates, which can cause kidney stones for people who aren't well-hydrated or who eat lots of oxalate-containing foods. in the amounts in my smoothie, which i consume several times a week, i dont think it should be a problem.
more about parsley: [www.whfoods.com]

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: October 03, 2006 01:38AM

Horsea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can someone tell me how to make raw kale taste
> good?

I guess you can say Kale is an aquired taste. Three months ago I hated it, now I like it just the way it is.

Date: October 03, 2006 05:49AM

Thanks again, jono, and to you, also, shep252 for your comments in reply to my question on how to make kale taste good. I made juice today from parsley, Russian Kale fresh from my garden, and juice of one orange. It was actually not too bad. Russian Kale is the less-frilly green with nice pink ribs. It keeps on growing until a mighty frost comes along.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables