Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Detoxing with raw foods
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: September 28, 2011 03:11PM

Wow. That's what's going on with me, and it seems like it comes in waves. I'm almost 2 months raw, and the last 3 weeks 100% raw, and I went from feeling really good to not so great the past few days.

I've been vegetarian for many years, and my diet wasn't really that bad, although I'm sure too many refined carbs, and the past 2 years due to intense stress, more wring foods and some alcohol to cope, but definitley not over the top. I'm not overwieght, and by American standards, doing much better than the average Joe.

But this detoxing is knocking me over! The past few days, I'm exhausted, my eyes are cloudy, I'm craving crap (and not eating it), irritable, constipated (bowel movements are thick mud/sludge... sorry if that's TMI). And all I want to eat is fruit/greens in the form of a smoothie, which is pretty much what I've been living on.

Seriously, the past week or so, I just have a smoothie with greens, a little fruit, some superfoods... and a glass of seedmilk with raw vegan protein in it. And I really don't want to eat much else. I'm drinking lots of water, now adding psyllium, and still the plumbing is backed up- which I can't stand, it makes me feel so sick. So after one day of nothing, I have to do a quick, low enema to move things. I hope tis isn't making it worse, but I'm running out of ideas.

I know this is a phase, and it will pass, and I'll feel a lot better soon, but detoxing is not that fun, until I look at the upside, and review my progress. No more puffiness (which I didn't even know I really had), I've gotten slimmer, and I have so much more mental clarity. That's a good thing.

There's no real point to this post, other than to see if anyone can relate, I guess. If you've been down this path, how long did it take you to clean out and really start to feel better? I'm not really that impatient, just curious. I am 100% committed to this process, and never want to go back to my old ways of eating that clearly did not serve me well.

Thanks for listening to all of that rambling smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Detoxing with raw foods
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 28, 2011 03:49PM

Watch in my opinion detox is super over-rated especially in the raw food world, at times when you read threads nearly every poor symptom gets shunted off as detox. Often there can be something else going on such as hypoglycemia(headaches, fatigue, lightheadedness etc) or other problems especially if you already have adrenal gland problems or other disorders.

Im still of the opinion that , although providing good nutritious healthy foods can encourage detoxification at cellular level some especially such as broccoli that pending your don't suffer from problems such as heavy metal toxicity, liver disease etc you would likely never feel or know you were detoxing anyway. I know from experience with severe heavy metal toxicity that introducing foods rich in pectins, malic acid, seaweeds/alginate can cause such horrible "detox" effects saying that.

Basically what im trying to say in a round about way keep your wits about you marsh, there was a time when i wasn't very clued up on health and was water fasting and several so called leaders on forums led me to believe my symptoms were detoxing and that i should keep pushing through the fast, when they were actually hypoglycemia and i passed out before getting help.

Increasing your water should help if true detoxification symptoms. Ill also chime in and say there was a time my adrenal glands were so poor and suffering from gut flora problems such as dysbiosis that a diet rich in basically just sugar i.e fruits caused me to feel shakey, excessive fatigue, panic attacks/anxiety, irritable/aggressive mood, reactive hypoglycemia i.e falling asleep or tiring straight after meals etc which was also to do with my adrenal gland dysfunction/hypoglycemia. When i would introduce proteins and fats the symptoms would relieve quickly.

Take care
[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: September 28, 2011 04:03PM

i agree with the water. Are you drinking enough? I find it helps me to have lots of cold green tea - makes it more inviting.

Date: September 28, 2011 04:23PM

Sometimes I wonder if I'm dissolving a tumor. The smell of my bowel movements is like horendous burnt rubber. It is just dark, thick paste. And nothing about them is fresh, like the food that is going in. Cancer goes unnoticed and undiagnosed for many years. I'm 51 and every family member of mine that has passed away has died of cancer. Not me, though. I'll be the healthy exception.

I guess in the end it really doesn't matter what's going on, I'm focused on health, and I can't imagine how my det can get much healthier.

Thanks for your thoughts. It's not that bad. And I am tying to drink as much water as I can.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 28, 2011 04:59PM

Im no doctor but i can refer to the rubber/metallic smell from bowel movements, for me that was severe heavy toxicity.

This happened when i increased fiber which removes metals from the body. If you suspect anything as serious as a tumor always best to get checked professionally mate.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 05:00PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: September 28, 2011 05:13PM

""But this detoxing is knocking me over! The past few days, I'm exhausted, my eyes are cloudy, I'm craving crap (and not eating it), irritable, constipated (bowel movements are thick mud/sludge... sorry if that's TMI). And all I want to eat is fruit/greens in the form of a smoothie, which is pretty much what I've been living on""

^ You arent suddenly immune to these symptoms just cos your a raw foodie and have gone through detox. If you've been feeling good the last few weeks I'd say this is down to either improper food combining or too much fat.

The simpler your salads the better, keep it below 5 ingredients. I had terrible gas and bloating the other day after eating bananas and dates with a radish and red pepper spinach salad. I felt absolutely terrible and depressed. Do not underestimate poor food combining.

Heres some combining charts FYI.

[www.google.co.uk]

Date: September 28, 2011 08:42PM

See, it comes and goes. Now, suddenly, I'm feeling better. And it's only been hours since I posted how bad I was feeling. I am inclined to think it's just toxicity, and when I am throwing off more than I can eliminate, I feel sick. I don't think it's food combining. Things just can't get much simpler diet-wise. I upped the psyllium, and fortunately, it's helping a little.

Date: September 28, 2011 09:14PM

Also-

Powerlifer, check this out...

Let's just suppose that I did go and have a bunch of tests done, and they came up with some terrible diagnosis. What would I do differently than I am doing now? I wouldn't follow any of their "cut, burn or poison protocols," that's for sure. I'd do exactly what I am currently doing.

I am definitely no expert, but in a previous career, I worked in the medical field, in oncology, and I do know this: cancer takes a really long time to advance to the stage where it can be detected and diagnosed. Rogue cells are multiplying and doing their thing in the quiet recesses of the body, and many who have this going on, have no idea. Back when I was in the field, statistics given by the American Cancer Society stated that 1 out of every 4 Americans would be diagnosed with cancer. It's no surprise either, given the lifestyle and SAD diet most adhere to.

So, with all due respect, there is no way that I will go and get some doctor to run tests. I am on a good path, I know I'm doing good for myself and my body, and I am so grateful about the weirdest thing. I am so happy that my hair became alarmingly thin! It forced me to get serious about my health.

I'm going to just ride this wave of transient discomfort, and let my body purge, eliminate, detoxify, and/or whatever else it needs to do to come back into balance.

And...I am so grateful for this board... smiling smiley

Posted by: merry ()
Date: September 29, 2011 04:13AM

some supplements can cause constipation in some people ---spirulina has a bit of that effect for me and I've read that its a possible side effect...
maybe increase salads like grated carrot and beetroot.
I wouldn't substitue water for green tea since its diuretic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables