Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
So according to Matt Monarch, you have to be 100% raw for 5 years
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 02, 2011 03:40AM

to really claim that title. He says too many people are eating white bread and saying they're 90% raw but they're in denial.

[www.youtube.com]

Hey, I don't claim to be 90% raw but I think if you're 100% and have been doing it a MONTH, then you get to call yourself whatever the heck you want!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So according to Matt Monarch, you have to be 100% raw for 5 years
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: October 02, 2011 08:49AM

I couldnt get past their lovey dovey, hyperactive, zany crap. Annoyed the heck out of me. Matt was saying something about rebuild?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 02, 2011 03:04PM

Eh, one very animated guy's opinion; though he has been at it for a loooong time, true. Also, Angela seemed oddly enervated . . .

Date: October 03, 2011 12:14AM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eh, one very animated guy's opinion; though he has
> been at it for a loooong time, true. Also, Angela
> seemed oddly enervated . . .

Tam, I went to check the definition of 'enervated' because I am familiar with enervation as in losing vigor. Is that what you meant? As for Matt's long-term rawness, yes and it's very impressive. I think it's an amazing feat. But he's made a similar remark in the past about the same thing and the problem is that even though I am posting almost daily on here, I don't pretend to be a raw fooder. And if someone wants to feel like they eat healthier than they do, I don't think that is the worst crime on the planet. I come here to have others who walk the walk rub off on me; not to be a poser.

Date: October 03, 2011 12:22AM

WanderRA Wrote:
> I couldnt get past their lovey dovey, hyperactive,
> zany crap. Annoyed the heck out of me. Matt was
> saying something about rebuild?

He talks about going back to animal products to rebuild a raw fooder's body and how he's been raw for over 12 (13?) years and doesn't need to "rebuild" anything. My point isn't to dispute that at all; he is certainly a poster child for 100% raw. But this isn't a contest and just because some of us aren't raw or even high raw doesn't mean we're trying to be something we're not. And even if he knows people who pretend to be raw and really eat lots of SAD foods, who cares? I don't think that is a crucial thing to mention.

Date: October 03, 2011 11:29AM

banana who,

I think his argument is directed at conventional, or even slightly to the side of conventional, nutritionists and healing practioners that advocate, say, juice fasting as a temporary holistic medical regimen. The patient is typically told after a short while, "Now you can go back to eating regular food, but eat more fruits and vegetables!" I think what irritates people like Matt Monarch is that so many health problems are not going to be ameliorated by consuming a healthy diet for two or three weeks; it entails a permanent lifestyle change. He isn't particularly articulate in the video, and sleepy Angela is little help, but I get that he doesn't like a "faddish" approach to raw, as it isn't sincere or serious enough.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 03, 2011 03:59PM

I just can't watch him, he's too crazy pants for me.

But saying that one must be raw for 5 years before claiming to be raw at all is a bit odd. Imagine that standard for other things in life, having to be at it for 5 years before being able to claim the "title". A job, marriage, being a parent or born for that matter, lol. You don't technically exist until you're 5 years old. Silly that.

Posted by: Coconana ()
Date: October 03, 2011 05:27PM

If you were going to go that far, why not say seven years, as this is the outside life span of a cell. Then you could technically say that your whole body was made from raw food.

Some people have to 'get mad' to achieve. Like in the army when the drill instructor calls you a whining lazy wimp to get you to do more push ups. For some people that works, and you know, here is MM saying, 'I dont know if you have what it takes to be this cool' (not that he ever said that exactly) and maybe for some this is helpful reverse psychology motivation?

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: October 03, 2011 08:07PM

The energy and apparent anger with him makes me most uncomfortable.
I wouldnt last 5 minutes in the room around that.

Vinny

Date: October 03, 2011 09:44PM

I have heard remarks from him in the past in the same vein, Tam. I don't think it's merely those advocating for detox dieting in the shortterm. I actually think he is targeting the sheep who follow him and leave sycophantic comments under his videos (please forgive me if anyone reading this has done so!). I do admire what he and Angela have accomplished and I watch all their videos. I just think that if this is how Cocanana characterized it as trying to motivate people by saying that they are still yet posers then it's going to be counterproductive. Or if it's some ego thing of indirect bragging: "I'm more raw than you wannabes," then it's a hollow victory in the vast scheme of eternal existence. The whole goal of being raw (IMO, of course) is to achieve optimal health, which enhances us on a spiritual level because health is wealth and when you are on SAD you feel like utter crap! It's not to be "better" than others or to have more self-control. Our perfectionism finds that appealing but it shouldn't be the prime motivation for going towards raw, IMO.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: October 04, 2011 01:47AM

he looks a bit rough (pale, straw hair, physically weak)
coming from him, not exactly a title i want to go chasing for 5 years.

Date: October 04, 2011 02:46AM

Jeeze
Charles Manson comes to mind watching him.
The mannerisms.

Date: October 04, 2011 02:47AM

Totally creeped out
Time to move on

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 04, 2011 06:58AM

It seems that after 743 episodes they have run out of things to say on their videos.

The dramatized upset about "rebuilding" is just boring.

(Did he really sing a song about "rodent poo" on a desk?)

It's either time to stop winging it or to just stop.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: October 04, 2011 04:28PM

rufio Wrote:
> he looks a bit rough (pale, straw hair,
> physically weak)
> coming from him, not exactly a title i want to go
> chasing for 5 years.

I have been to three raw restaurants in my lifetime. One of them got a lot of good press and was owned by a couple and so one winter's day my bf and I went there. As soon as I stepped into the joint and felt the vibes, I sensed something was off. The space was lovely but the man seemed somewhat unhappy, at least not the vibrant raw food yogi practioner that I was expecting from the article. And that was actually the best thing I could experience because it made me less interested in some nebulous ideal and more interested in being healthy as a realistic goal. As I have stated before, I have seen raw fooders that do not look like the picture of health, 100% raw or not. I would never want to aspire to that. And the same applies to the emotional level. If someone is raw and yet still ego-driven, then what is that all about?

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: October 04, 2011 05:29PM

Their vids have always freaked me out. It's just a weird vibe I don't like. I turned it off right after he screamed "Rebuild WHAT" and hurt my ears. :\

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 04, 2011 09:17PM

I kinda enjoy some of the weirdness from Matt and Angela. Angela is really quite a bit stronger on vids when she is alone.

They are young and so I wouldn't take everything they say to heart or as gospel. They will go thru their own learning experiences and we'll get to see them grow and mature if they continue their outspoken viewpoints on raw foods on videos.

I think Matt is a cutie pie and of course Angela looks so much healthier and vibrant than before she went raw and lost the weight.

I just figure that people can call themselves what they want when they want. I like other people's opinions as it also gives me new insights.

Some of the stuff Matt and Angela do is sometimes a little unplanned or silly but I like them.

Ah..to be young, in love, and have so much going for you..those were the dayssmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 05, 2011 05:34AM

I think the reason for all the drama is because Matt and Angela have probably run out of material. Angela looks very not present in the video.

Posted by: Hathi4 ()
Date: October 05, 2011 02:28PM

I've been 100% raw for 10+ years and I say call youself whatever the heck you want whenever the heck you want! Do you have to wait five years after your wedding to call youself married; five years after embracing Islam to call youself a Muslim; five years after turning 13 to call youself a teenager? "Bah," I say! :-D

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: October 05, 2011 03:26PM

I agree, people should call themselves whatever they want. There are no rules.

Date: October 05, 2011 10:58PM

Prana Wrote:
> I think the reason for all the drama is because
> Matt and Angela have probably run out of material.
> Angela looks very not present in the video.

LOL! You are the second one to say that. I didn't notice any spaciness in her or whatever but Matt? Oh well, let me just be silent. Aum...winking smiley

Date: October 06, 2011 12:08AM

On a more positive note,

What this shows is that when you get healthy, you never really lose your character.

People come to think of healthy people as boring. They come to think of vegans and raw foodists as washed out, pale, tired, distant versions of themselves with little pasty smiles, all spaced out and "happy" all the time.

But as people get healthy, they grow into their personalities, and if you dont like someones personality... at least they've got one. And that's a good thing, that raw fooders come in all types.

We can have loves and hates, passions, excitements, and we can still be rawtarded sometimes! Its not that nobodys perfect, its that we are all perfect just by being.

For all their percieved faults... arent you at least happy that theres other people out there eating raw food all the time!? Because I dont personally know anyone who eats all raw food, for as "popular" as it may be as a trend right now. I think theres a whole bunch of people out there right now who have almost decided to go raw. As for people who have actually decided to go all raw and actually DO it... where are they? They don't live near me! So I kind of don't care what they say or what kind of emotions they are having or what theyre phasing into or out of, I'm just grateful to have some company in this thing. And some elders.

Personally my favorite is Dan Regenerator, and Philip. But I am honestly grateful for them all, just that they are there making some noise!

Matt is a very lovely being! He is unique and therefore sometimes misunderstood. Youtube. One take. Boom, there it is. It aint always perfect. It's just a reflection of what was going on at the time. I'm sure the whole episode made sense in context.

Date: October 06, 2011 12:59AM

Cocoana, if this was a one-time thing, then fine. He's said a similar thing before. I am not tearing down Matt just by mentioning this. And I am happy for anyone even fantasizing about eating raw, let alone doing so. Because it's like anything else we do to improve our lives: if we become more puffed up because we live a certain way, then that's not cool. Not saying that this is happening to Matt, but I just don't see what purpose it served for him to say that. Did you watch the video? See his facial expression when talking about these "posers" (my word, not his). In any case, I respect him for being 100%, the same way I respected David Wolfe for the same. But who would I "follow?" It would have to be someone I felt was humble enough not to showboat, as well as tolerant enough to understand that we all come from different places and are movtivated by different things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 01:00AM by banana who.

Date: October 06, 2011 01:10AM

Ya, but it's just an emotion. What if someday I go thru that emotion, and I can see how silly it looks on someone else, and immediately check myself. At least he's putting it out there honestly.

If you take right brained comments in left brained context, then you miss the real sentiment behind the thing. He seems to me to be just tired of all this almost. And sometimes I get tired with my family and friends for being almost. But then I can say, hey heres matt calling me almost, and here i am calling my best friend almost, and what sense does it make? none. So you know its emotional stuff, because it doesnt really make any sense.

Ida know... but I do know this. When we get on a public support forum and then take down other raw fooders, we look bad. To other people who just think its funny to watch raw fooders in-fight. Sure, he might be seen as doing that, but that doesnt mean everybody has to join in on it. The fed-up-ed-ness. With eachother. It's okay for people to be themselves and speak openly without us getting in a bunch over it.

This fuels the perception of raw fooders as in-fighters.

Date: October 06, 2011 01:12AM

If he loses subscribers and attention, he might ask himself, "Do I offend?" Its the silence that hurts the most. That golden silence.

Date: October 06, 2011 01:18AM

"It's okay for people to be themselves and speak openly without our getting in a bunch over it."

Does this apply to me, too?winking smiley Because I reserve the right to mention his comment and video on here and state whether or not I agree with the sentiment. You didn't hear me call him a name. I merely brought up his video and what I thought.

I have ordered from Matt's company three times this year so I give him business. I don't think anything I wrote rises (or sinks) to the level of "taking him down." Not at all. Just speaking openly...

Date: October 06, 2011 02:00AM

you're so raw,

I bet you think this song is about you

you're so raw

(you're so raw!)

I bet you think this song is about you, don't you don't you

I had a dream there were soaked chia seeds in my coffee,

Seeds in my coffee aaand...

Date: October 06, 2011 02:03AM

LOL!!! You should make a video out of that one. Very clever,darling!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: October 06, 2011 09:13PM

I lost the bet that we would know who Carly Simon meant in "You're so Vain" before we knew who Deep Throat was (Mark Day). To this day, she won't tell. Leading speculation is Warren Beatty, but who care. smiling smiley

Date: October 06, 2011 09:40PM

That Carly, what a tease smiling smiley

On further consideration, I think Matt maybe was having "one of those days" and just needed to rant. In this self-indulgent age, unfortunately, some people take it to the public with YouTube vids . . .

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables