Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bananas
Posted by: Nic ()
Date: October 02, 2011 06:29PM

I think I am allergic to bananas...whenever I eat them, I get stomach upset, bloating, gas and pain in my digestive tract. Similar to what happens if I eat gluten (which I am allergic to) although not nearly as severe.

Does anyone else get this when they eat bananas? It is disappointing to find that I cannot eat them. they are so delicious in a smoothie sad smiley

I have tried them in smoothies and by themselves with no other food and I always get the same result. I guess my body is telling me not to eat them.

Also, someone I mentioned this to said I am probably allergic to the large amounts of potassium in the bananas. But I eat lots of fruits and veggies that have potassium in them so I am inclined to think it's just the banana itself that I am allergic to. Any thoughts on this?
Thank you smiling smiley
Nicole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bananas
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 02, 2011 06:46PM

Some people are actually allergic to bananas.

[www.healthaholicz.com]

Shucks! Hope you're not, but good thing there are lots of other great fruits!

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: October 03, 2011 01:10AM

I don't know about having a reaction to Bananas, but I do know that in order for the Immune System to get stronger, certain foods should be eliminated. Bananas and Avocados top the list.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 03, 2011 01:30AM

WheatgrassYogi could you explain why?

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: October 03, 2011 02:13AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WheatgrassYogi could you explain why?
I can only explain the Immune System as it pertains to my own Body. What has worked Best for me (and I ebb and flow) is a Cleansing Diet with a maximum of high nutrition foods (Greens), and a minimum of high energy foods (Fruits).
Bananas and Avocados don't qualify as 'cleansing'......WY

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 03, 2011 03:30AM

Probably because bananas and avocados don't have as much water as other fruits? And avocados have lots of fat, which slows down detox.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 03, 2011 12:14PM

Nic,

I started to get an itchy feeling in my mouth and excess mucous once in a while after eating organic yellow banana about a year ago, I think. I figured this was a sign that something was amiss and that I shouldn't push it, so I switched to red bananas, and have experienced no problems. If I had, I would have cut out all bananas for a while, as WY recommends, to see if I could become desensitized. Good luck smiling smiley

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: October 03, 2011 08:13PM

I too get all those symptoms....but only when I blend them in a smoothie.
Not when I eat them whole.

Vinny

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: October 11, 2011 05:46PM

Someone told me they are in the latex family? Are you allergic to latex? I am severely allergic to latex but not nanas.

februarygirl

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 12, 2011 12:37AM

February girl,
I just looked it up, I find those types of questions so interesting. Bananas and plantains are in the botanic family MUSACEAE. I believe that latex comes from the Apocynaceae family.

Just as a side note there is also an herb or weed which also is called "plantain", not to be confused with the banana like fruit.

Date: October 12, 2011 02:00AM

So we are eating rubber gloves???

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 12, 2011 02:38AM

Plantain herb is wonderful! Can be eaten raw or lightly steamed, is great juiced or added to a smoothie and is the cure for itchy plants like nettles, just chew up a leaf and rub it onto the affected area.

I dislike bananas intensely, even the smell makes me gag with nausea. I feed them to the kids so have gotten less sensitive to the smell but yuck, I still hate it.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 12, 2011 11:43AM

I don't get on well with bananas either, in smoothies especially. I can eat one with little to no bad effects but any more than that i feel tired, shakey and weird.

So i don't tend to eat them often.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 12, 2011 10:53PM

Thats too bad about the bannana reaction, and the dislike. I like bananas a lot, but then again I have never overeaten them.

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: October 13, 2011 12:41PM

Thanks Mislusmiling smiley Cant believe everything we hear!
My 21 yr. old son has always been completely repulsed by bananas.He can't even look at them! Guess he's not alone!

februarygirl

Posted by: Dendrobate ()
Date: October 24, 2011 10:21PM

For many years I was allergic to bananas as well. My throat would get very scratchy and it would swell. Then one day I bought an organic banana and i had no problems. To this day I still can only eat organic bananas.

Date: October 25, 2011 03:02AM

my girlfriend eats about 12 a week
no symptoms

Posted by: wholistic ()
Date: October 25, 2011 11:20AM

There are a lot of sources of potassium and one of it is from almonds. Almond butter would be a good substitute. I would recommend Almondie's Almond butter. It's 100% raw and pure and it has significant percentage of the recommended daily amount of potassium. What's good about it too is it's sugar-free and preservative-free. You can even make almond milk with it!

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: October 27, 2011 03:52AM

I was seriously fine with bananas until about a week ago when they started making me sick. I have no idea what happened other than it's a product of my recent 80/10/10 experiment. Overdose I suppose.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: October 30, 2011 02:16AM

Look up '50 bananas a day: the banana diet girl'.

Bananas and dates are the rice and pasta of the raw foods lifestyle. 100% of the high energy crew use them as their staple when they need to live high energy. Im yet to see otherwise.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 30, 2011 02:32AM

Nicole, have you tried waiting to eat your bananas until they have brown freckles on them, and the skin on the banana is thin? Most people eat bananas when the skins are pure yellow and the skin is thick.

The unripe bananas (yellow skinned) is starchy and for me is harder to digest. But some people do well on these unripe bananas.

And there are some who will not do well on bananas at all, whether they are ripe and sweet or unripe and starchy.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 30, 2011 02:45AM

Prana, I do well with them! I am glad you even acknowledged that because most "experts" say that we shouldn't eat them at this stage. I prefer the firmer texture and less sweeter/more substantial (IMO) feeling they give me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables