Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw vanilla bean powder
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 14, 2011 08:53PM

I bought this from a raw site a while ago and I think it's about a pound. I find that it's very strong and not necessarily reminding me of the vanilla taste I love so much. It's ground vanilla pods but I can't understand why there is such a strong aftertaste to it. I am a bit disappointed because I want to use it but it is so strong I can only use a pinch before it starts to overpower my dishes. Has anyone used this stuff and do you know why it's so freaking strong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw vanilla bean powder
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 15, 2011 01:43PM

Ah, another example of how crowded the raw food bandwagon has gotten. I'm running out of respect for companies that do business under the rubric of, as long as it is raw and from a plant, you can eat it, amen.

No. Some things are traditionally processed for a reason: Vanilla pods must be fermented[cured] with heat to bring out that characteristic 'nilla flavor. A raw vanilla pod is just an immature bean-like flower willy. The pods themselves aren't technically edible and are mostly insoluble fiber, so I don't know why this mixture contain the entire pod ground up. Unless they sell it by the ounce. If I were you, I'd return it and complain.

Date: October 15, 2011 07:36PM

LOL, Tam. Too late for that! I got it in the spring. So I am stuck with this like soooo immature vanilla pod powder! What.Ever!

Date: October 15, 2011 07:38PM

But on the serious side, you can eat vanilla pods and for the record, you just put a teesy pinch in your food. Don't you ever take pods and chop up the whole thing? I sure did because they are so danged expensive! I am thinking about mixing a bit of this powder with food-grade gycerine that I have and seeing what that does.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 15, 2011 08:04PM

banana who,

I'll put the pods into sugar to make homemade vanilla sugar and into vodka to make homemade vanilla extract, because the pods still have that vanilla scent. The pods aren't pleasant textured nor fully digested, so when the pod no longer has its essence to give up, I remove it from the sugar or vodka and throw it in the compost heap smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 15, 2011 08:06PM

I was thinking a soak in alcohol would extract a nice flavour. If you heat it up doesn't that burn off the alcohol? It might not be raw but you could always gift it to a chefy friend in the end... or wear it as perfume, lol!

I found red sandalwood powder at the health food store today, it didn't smell a thing like Mysore but was interesting none-the-less. I wonder what it's used for, I'll have to look it up.

Shoot, now I wish I'd bought some...
[www.livestrong.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2011 08:09PM by coco.

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: October 16, 2011 01:03PM

Vanilla is just strong stuff. The powder I got from Living Tree Community Foods is amazing. Is that where yours is from?

Date: October 16, 2011 06:08PM

Rawfoodworld.com. I bought it when they had it at-cost. It was around $24 for a pound. Raw, too!

Posted by: merry ()
Date: October 18, 2011 01:37PM

I think raw vanilla powder is normally the Tahitian kind of vanilla . The curing process happens naturally in the pod without the need for hot water treatment like for bourbon vanilla.
Normally it is infusion in milk and sugar that brings out that great vanilla taste.
But I make sometimes a custard type of thing with thick coconut milk, some sugar (or other sweetener) and vanilla powder. You probablly need to heat it to get the taste but I think it would work at lower (still officially raw) temperatures. Otherwise maybe blend with coconut oil and use in some kind of raw sweets, or make it into vanilla extract by infusing it in alcohol and add that to shakes.

Date: October 18, 2011 11:35PM

Merry, you are on to something! I put some powder into a heated drink I was making and it tasted much more vanilla-y that way. I need to correct the amount I received, by the way. It was actually only 4 oz. but that is a lot because you only use very little. What I may do is get some of those vanilla pods in a bundle and just scrape out the bean when I want some raw vanilla and use the raw stuff for cooking (ironically!). I love the delicate flavor of vanilla and it tees me off a bit that this is so freaking strong.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables