Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

GT's Kombucha, HELP
Posted by: pineapplegirl ()
Date: October 27, 2011 01:53AM

I also posted this in recipes section. I hope it is ok to post it here, if not, much apologies.

I realize a lot of members on this board are against kombucha and I respect that, so

only those who are into kombucha kindly respond, please.

I am not yet ready to make my own kombucha.

I want to take a bottle of GT's Kombucha and ferment it even longer.

I don't want to take the lid off of it, I want to keep it sealed.

I want to ferment it long enough so that it is sour and more of the sugar is

finally fermented.

Can this be done? If I leave it sealed, will the bottle explode? I really do

not want to unseal the bottle.

I also hear that GT is coming out with a new formulation that has been fermented longer, and you have to be 21 or over to buy it. Sounds great, I haven't seen it at the stores just yet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GT's Kombucha, HELP
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 27, 2011 01:58AM

It will explode. The over 21 must have a higher alcohol content. If you look you might be able to find someone making it locally, I had a home batch from neighbours once that was not sweet at ALL but also not boozy, it can be done.

Date: October 27, 2011 03:52AM

thank you so much.

i live in orange county california.

i wish i knew someone who did know how to properly ferment.

i would not mind drinking kombucha that is at its sourest.

i dont like the soda pop sugaryness of the store bought.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 27, 2011 07:54PM

I bought two bottles of GT's ginger flavor many months ago. The first was dated 4/02/11 and the second was dated 4/22/11. I just uncapped both. They are distinctly fermented, beery, even, with barely any sweetness and that likely coming from the ginger. The sourness after additional months of leaving it uncapped may depend on the base flavor; I tried this process earlier this year with the cranberry flavor, and it was quite sour upon opening.

Date: October 27, 2011 09:24PM

so what you are saying is that you uncapped the ginger kombucha, and then let it sit for awhile?

for how long? did you let the caps stay on top, but still opened, or did you just leave the bottle completely uncovered?

where did you leave it? Were you worried about airborne germs or mold getting into it?

thank you for responding, please let me know!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 09:27PM by pineapplegirl.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 27, 2011 09:56PM

I had a sample of the re-tooled version and didn't like it. It tasted like apple cider vinegar to me so I would rather just save money and mix a Tbsp. of raw ACV in distilled water and save a ton of money!

Date: October 27, 2011 11:33PM

pineapplegirl,

No, I came home from the health food store, put the unopened bottles directly into the back of the fridge, and left them there for six months. As long as the mother at the bottom of the bottle is raw and active, and oxygen hasn't been introduced into the bottle by uncapping it, the kombucha continues to ferment. Not all flavors ferment to the same stage, though.

Date: October 28, 2011 05:44PM

thank you Tamukha,

for some reason I was under the understanding that things did not ferment when they are cold.

I don't know if I could leave a bottle of GT's kombucha in the refrigerator for that long, too yummy and tempting.

and if they continue to ferment, I wonder why GT's enlightened kombucha says its reformulated not to continue to ferment, (or something to that effect)

its not like I need a high alcohol content, if I needed that I would just go buy a beer.

Its that I want all the sugars and carbs to be completely fermented out,not just halfway out so that the general public will buy it because it tastes like soda pop.

I don't mind the sour taste, and I like how good kombucha makes me feel.

any more thoughts or suggestions on this? (please, only from those who are kombucha enthusiasts)

thanks!

p.s., I used to prefer GT's Ginger Kombucha, years ago when it was super strong fermented fizzy and awesome. Now it tastes so lame, flat and weak, very disappointing.

Date: October 28, 2011 08:02PM

pineapplegirl,

Like I said, try one of the sour berry flavors and see if keeping it unopened in the fridge for a few months makes it more sour. Really try to leave it there, at the back, where you won't see it all the time, and you may end up with great results in five or six months. Good luck!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 28, 2011 08:30PM

It seems to me that the kombucha would ferment faster at room temperature than in a refrigerator.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 28, 2011 08:45PM

At room temp you'll get mould but maybe not if using an air lock.

Date: October 28, 2011 09:25PM

thanks coco! thanks again Tamuhka!

hey look, its prana! good to see you!

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: November 07, 2011 12:32AM

hello
i do my own Kombucha.

what happened with FDA pulled them off the shelf for having > than NA content was they never had floaties again.

the bottle does not say pasteurized but i suspect they may be and therefor dead like the wonderdrink?

thoughts. oh yea and i was banned from LFRV for talking about this but here seems safe?

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: November 07, 2011 02:22AM

It all seemed to happen when Lindsey LOhan set off her Scam device drinking it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables