Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fermneted foods, Opinions?
Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: November 06, 2011 10:06PM

So I am not new to fermenting my foods. I am interested in other peoples opinions.

As i see it our body ferments foods as we digest them, eating foods pre-fermented (not rotten or molded) has a effect of making stuff other wise near impossible to digest digestible.

any other thoughts

i am not happy that other raw food forums have banned me (30bad) for even asking these questions and have confused rotting with fermentation.

tia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fermneted foods, Opinions?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 06, 2011 10:14PM

I like fermented veggies, even though I can have digestive issues those do me no harm. I'm not so sure our bodies ferment the foods we eat though.

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: November 06, 2011 11:00PM

I enjoy some homemade sauerkraut here and there because it's a good way to mix things up in my diet. I like the taste. I know that someone like Robert Morse says don't eat fermented foods because we already produce enough good bacteria. That's fine, but I like my cabbage and prefer it fermented over cooked or non-fermented raw. I know. I'm a horrible person. smiling smiley I do find that at a certain point it's best for my system to back away from the kraut, but I can say that about nearly everything. I've also read some conflicting studies that I'll try to track down if I get a chance. One found that Polish female immigrants to America developed breast cancer at a much higher rate than Polish women who stayed in Poland. A sudden lack of sauerkraut in the diet of the immigrants was cited as a possible cause. Another study claimed that people in a certain region of China were found to develop esophageal cancer at a high rate. Fermentation was blamed. I seem to recall reading that study and remarking that they took zero confounding factors into consideration.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 06, 2011 11:05PM

Our bodies do not typically ferment the foods we eat. Our system is not the same as, say, a miso vat or sauerkraut barrel.

Fermented foods are OK to eat as long as one wishes to eat them and one's digestion responds well to them. Unless they're Natural Hygienists, raw foodists don't usually have a problem with fermented plant foods, since they are not technically cooked and are vegan. Maybe you brought up non-vegan fermented foods over at 30 Bananas? [shrugs]

HeavenHands,

I am guessing the Polish sauerkraut had cabbage and maybe onions in it, whereas the Chinese fermented foods had chilis and perhaps animal tissues?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2011 11:08PM by Tamukha.

Date: November 06, 2011 11:59PM

Chinese study: [www.nature.com]

A reference to the Polish study: [books.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 12:05AM by HeavenHands.

Date: November 07, 2011 12:37AM

thanks for the replies i def didn't bring up non vegan anything

i guess you are correct this sect of Natural Hygienists is on a war path against fermentation

i even sourced Dr Doug Grahams book in my post about it.

oh well no major loss for anybody except the people who stay on 30 bananas site and don't realize how many people are censored.

Date: November 07, 2011 12:55AM

Okay Harley you've gotten your daily dose of publicity for your web-site. You can go away now.

Diogenez Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks for the replies i def didn't bring up non
> vegan anything
>
> i guess you are correct this sect of Natural
> Hygienists is on a war path against fermentation
>
> i even sourced Dr Doug Grahams book in my post
> about it.
>
> oh well no major loss for anybody except the
> people who stay on 30 bananas site and don't
> realize how many people are censored.

Date: November 07, 2011 01:17AM

um Harley or shall i say those who act in tragic ways to 'protect' his site from any discussion that is unwelcome loose followers because of how they treat them.

i was all cool with them until they were uncool with me and when i posted my fermenting crock pot it was all down hill from there, i was name called names, misrepresented and slandered like that crew does to all so many other people.
(a reason they get sued)

i am in no way Harkey HeavyHands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 01:19AM by Diogenez.

Date: November 07, 2011 01:50AM

That seems an extreme overreaction even by overreaction standards, Diogenez. Sorry you were treated that way sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 01:50AM by Tamukha.

Date: November 07, 2011 01:54AM

HeavenHands,

Gee, Asian researchers, that's like 237 references to "pickled vegetables" without once describing what this actually means. I knew I should have studied Mandarin in college smiling smiley

Date: November 07, 2011 02:21AM

I was happy to be present and got a kick out of his kooky videos and the head shaking and the funny accent. But I am glad to find other people to talk about raw foods (which my mom has been doing since 1974) maybe they see me as a threat being a near life long raw fooder idk...

this might help.. [www.chinese-tools.com]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: November 07, 2011 03:07AM

Sorry, I moved this post to a different thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 03:08AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 07, 2011 05:51AM

I often eat my bananas after they've gone soft and fermented into vinegar. I get Thai bananas at my local Korean market. They're delicious.

I'm pretty sure that fermenting a food creates useful bacteria that populate your gut when you eat it. This allows you to more thoroughly digest that food the next time you eat it, due to the help from the bacteria.

Date: November 07, 2011 07:02AM

That is what i gathered from reading 80 10 10 if complex carbs ferment in the gut is not pre-fermenting foods help the digestion of what might not be gained as much from? (aside from the gas jokes)

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: November 07, 2011 02:03PM

I am 52 now and have always had a weak digestive system, even still (I had many many antibiotics as a child). Raw fermented foods are good for me, I like the taste, and I have fun preparing them. I do not consume bottled probiotics. Fermented foods are the way my intestines get these healthful flora.

Date: November 07, 2011 03:21PM

i am so glad to be able to discuss and not be attacked for it and to hear the benefits people get as i do too.

peace love and joy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables