Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Gum Recession
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 05, 2006 07:21PM

I am 20 years old and currently 75% raw. I feel great, but recently I have been experienceing gum recession! What should I do and/or eat to remedy this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gum Recession
Date: October 06, 2006 11:24AM

I used to be a dental nurse and the main cause for gum recession is brushing you teeth too hard. If this is the case you may notice that it is worse in some arrears of the mouth. For example a lot of people have gum recession to the left of their top teeth, especially if they are right handed as this is where they start brushing their teeth and brush the hardest. If this is the case for you, use the softest brush you can find and be more mindful when brushing your teeth. Do not be scared of brushing your gums though! as plaque is the main cause of gum disease and so gum recession – do your gums bleed if so then you will need to deal with your gum disease?

If it is more general your diet may be lacking something. I know that eating green leafy veg is a great way of strengthening your teeth David Woolfe is always going on about it’s benefits for teeth. I have noticed that after eating fruit eating green leafy veg neutralises the acid. It also has a lot of calcium and works from the inside out if you like – strengthening the teeth and gums from within.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: October 06, 2006 02:05PM

75%guy,

how often do you floss your teeth?

a dental hygienist once told me that flossing was more important than brushing.

Posted by: mimi ()
Date: October 06, 2006 02:47PM

dental hygienist once told me that flossing was more important than brushing.

Yes, this is true because it's getting what's under the gum that causes the most trouble. The teeth, with a good diet won't decay so easily. But if you brush like crazy and don't floss ever or rarely, the gums will start to recede and continue to do so.
Now, with raw foods,I am sure there is not so much harmful plaque under those gums as with those who eat processed pasty foods but I think I would still try to floss.
I would go get at least a cleaning. You might have a tartar buildup under the gums and that is what is irritating the gums. Some people have alot of calcium in their saliva and get lots of tartar build-up.

Date: October 07, 2006 05:55PM

Thank you everyone

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables