Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you use Nama Shoyu ?
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: October 05, 2006 10:08PM

So do you?
Is it ok? Is it fermented?
Maybe I should start using it too...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you use Nama Shoyu ?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 05, 2006 10:27PM

No I don't use it.

Yes, it's fermented, made with cooked soya beans.

It contains too much salt for my liking.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 05, 2006 10:35PM

Nama Shoyu is currently the bane of my food. I love the stuff, it tastes great (I never really liked soy sauces at all until I had nama shoyu). I've been unable to find conclusive information on if it's made from raw or boiled/steamed soy beans. So for the time being I use it rarely.

It is fermented, but it's not pasturised after the fermentation (so, it may contain e coli or whatever - shock! horror! - I don't really care about that...).

I want to make my own, I've got a recipe for soy sauce that involves boiling or steaming the beans, but I've been told it's possible to blend the beans up into a paste and use that rather than cooked beans - the fermentation process is supposed to take longer with raw beans. I can't really quote the source of the information since i don't remember who told me about using raw beans (maybe it was in dream or something....).

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 05, 2006 10:37PM

Funky Rob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, it's fermented, made with cooked soya beans.

Could you point me at the sauce, er, source of that information, please?

I've kind of expected nama shoyu to be made with cooked soya beans, but can't find anything that explains how certain brands are made.

Thanks,
Ian.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: October 06, 2006 07:57AM

what about miso? i guess it's the same process. i've been avoiding all soy products.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 06, 2006 09:31AM

sodoffsocks Wrote:
> > Yes, it's fermented, made with cooked soya
> beans.
>
> Could you point me at the sauce, er, source of
> that information, please?

It's just something that many, many people say. Someone who understood Japansese told me that Nama does mean raw but Nama Shoyu isn't. If you really want to know, then try contacting the manufacturers.

rosemary Wrote:
> what about miso? i guess it's the same process.
> i've been avoiding all soy products.

Yes, miso is made with cooked soya beans. It is then fermented and then often pasturised. If you do want to eat miso, best to get unpasturised.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: October 08, 2006 01:33AM

My daughter-in-law is Japanese, born and raised in Japan. Her family grows all their own vegetables and rice, and her mother is an excellent cook. She says the Nama Shoyu and all the other shoyus are made from fermented, cooked soybeans; and she says the only difference between the Nama Shoyu and other shoyus is that the Nama Shoyu is not boiled (pasteurized) again after it is fermented, but the other shoyus ARE boiled again after they are fermented.

I agree with Funky Rob that you might try contacting the manufacturers and asking them. You could very likely send them an email.

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2006 01:37AM by Ally.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: October 09, 2006 02:01PM

What about TAMARI? Is it cooked 2 times also?

So, if the label just say SHOYU, and not NAMA SHOYU, it's cooked 2 times?????

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 10, 2006 07:15PM

Does cooking twice make a difference? Probably not. Soy is toxic anyway, so it is best avoided. Plus all the salt.

I did use Nama Shoyu when I first went raw. Once I realized how bad salt was for me, I dropped Nama Shoyu. For me, when there is salt on my food, I can eat way past the point of being full. All the signs of having eaten enough disappear when I eat salted foods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables