Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Base of Celery Most Nutritious?
Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: November 23, 2011 10:22PM

Hey guys,

This is a silly question, but I read somewhere that Celery is one of the more powerful natural agents for pain relief, and good fiber. Anyways, been making it a point to buy them regularly and I've been munching on them, I'm chomping on one now actually. Thus far I've avoided eating the base of these stalks, the white parts. I'm wondering though, is that the nutritionally good stuff or what? Wow, it helps a lot using a brush & ultrasonic washer to clean off the sand/grit, does not taste so bad now. Hmm anyways, frivolous question I know but I am still wondering =).

Peace,

Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Base of Celery Most Nutritious?
Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: November 24, 2011 02:14AM

hey there!

As far as i know, every part of the celery is good to eat. One of my favorite things to eat is actually celery root and i often add it in raw salads, in combination with carrot and lemon juice. It is a great source of vitamin k, vitamin b6, magnesium, manganese, vitamin C and phosphorous. It's not very popular, but i love it still. The leaves are edible as well and are very flavorful. They can be added to various dishes as a savory herb, along with parsley, dill and lovage. Parsley, lovage and celery leaves are commonly used to season soups in eastern Europe. smiling smiley

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: November 24, 2011 05:02PM

I would guess the greenest part of the stalk is most nutritious. Apparantly the leaves have mild toxins in them, not sure if that matters though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 24, 2011 05:15PM

I Love celery root, it's easily my fave part of a fave veggie.

Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: November 24, 2011 11:04PM

@Vegmichelle

Huh, have not seen celery with roots yet. I'll have to try that sometimes.

@ Workoutman,

Yeah, probably not a big deal.

@ coco

I'm just starting to warm up to celery, it's weird to me to like it now, I think my taste buds are changing from eating more fruits/veggies & my new found love of red peppers (both kinds) and salsa.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: November 25, 2011 12:21AM

celery root is also known as celeriac. it's a little different than regular celery but is also a great treat, esp. shredded on salad. so good. i'm pretty sure, adam, that the white parts are fine to eat. maybe you're thinking scallions or green onions or something. on a different note, i never heard that about the leaves before. the dirt usu comes off easy, and i don't know if everyone does this, but i peel the outside layer to get rid of the strings if I'm not pureeing it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 25, 2011 12:29AM

I'm just talking about the base of regular celery. There's not a lot of it but once all the stalks have been pulled off I trim and slice the bit of hard white root there and it is SO yum.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 25, 2011 02:36AM

i made this the other day and its yummy smiling smiley

Creamy Raw Celery Soup

Ingredients:

2 cups almond milk
6 stalks of organic celery
2 tsp. Celtic sea salt
pinch of Cayenne pepper
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 clove of garlic

Pre-warm the serving bowls with boiling water. Drain when ready to use, pour in the soup.

the warm bowls make you feel like you are having a bit of warm wintery soup .. for some reason its like a Jedi mind trick .. lol grinning smiley try it !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2011 02:36AM by Jgunn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables