Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

gluten free
Posted by: just 4 me ()
Date: November 26, 2011 09:32PM

I get major headaches that always seem to be related to breads. Although I do buy whole grains (like Aunt Millie Nine Grain) they still show up. I have been thinking of going gluten free but I don't get much of a choice at work (I have to eat only what they supply for lunch). How would someone recommend going gluten free and eating grains that do not have the gluten (aside from purchasing gluten free flours and such)? I would like it to be naturally gluten free. Is couscous gluten free?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gluten free
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 27, 2011 09:09PM

Couscous is pasta; it's made from hard wheat and has gluten. Non gluten grains are things like teff, amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat(a seed actaully).

How much fruit do you eat? I find that when I eat enough fruit, I don't want grains at all. This is good because I don't like the hassle of sprouting grains and making them into some sort of raw bread, and I prefer the taste of fruits to the taste of raw grains.

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: November 27, 2011 10:21PM

I have a major allergy to any wheat products, and craved and ate them for many. many years. It was really a huge life-changing event to finally be off of them completely. Food allergies are the basis for so many health related conditions, and eliminating known allergens can improve one's health dramatically. If you suspect an allergy to wheat/gluten, it would be wise to do whatever you can to just get off the stuff completely. It is a highly addictive substance, and just cutting back or switching to whole grains will just taunt you into wanting more. This has been my experience with wheat. Good luck to you.

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: November 28, 2011 03:11PM

Like buckwheat, quinoa is also a seed.

I can't recommend eliminating gluten and grains highly enough. I consider Doug Graham's book "Grain Damage" to be his most important and useful work. Going gluten-free is a great way to eliminate all kinds of health issues and to start eliminating a wide-range of bad foods from your diet. It's not easy, but it's 100% worth it. Gluten-free was my gateway to raw. Once you master that you might as well go all the way. I've also ditched rice. I don't believe that anyone is gluten tolerant.

Date: November 29, 2011 04:38PM

I totally agree with HH. It wasn't easy, because I used to be the biggest carb junkie ever, but I have completely eliminated ALL grains from my diet, even the "good" ones. Wow. What a difference in my health. If you can do it, you'll be amazed at the results in how you feel.

Posted by: gems ()
Date: November 29, 2011 06:55PM

hey! smiling smiley im gluten free too. i have had digestive problems and probably candida. and i think alot of people do have problems with wheat, but chose to ignore, and live with feeling not that great out of habit and routine.

for a while i was fighting with finding what i can and cant eat to feel ok, and i agree with marsh, in my experience, I found it better for my health, mind and body to cut out wheat, and wheat subtituties completly.

At first, I was doing a candida diet, but making wheat/sugar/dairy free breads and cakes, i still felt rubbish, now i have cut out wheat completly, and eat mostly raw, still on the way to healing whatever is going on in my digestive system but i feel alot better than i did.

so good luck! but it is a hard one to cut out. espicially as we are surrounded by these foods. so my advice is to go gentle on yourself, its very easy to say you want to cut it out, but can be hard to do.

what ive tried to do is to stay as aware and concious of my eating choices as i can. eat a certain food, then really FEEL how my body responds to that food. so every time you eat bread, you get a headache, really listen to this... it might take 10 more times to feel that! and learn that! but your mind really has to believe and know that cutting out the bread will be good for you, or your mind can talk you around anything! ha smiling smiley

so good luck! and dont be hard on yourself when you do have some bread, its just a feeling, and a journey of learning smiling smiley to be a healthy happier you smiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 29, 2011 07:20PM

They say there is some chemical reaction with wheat related to opiads; I don't know...I just think it tastes so good (when it's good bread). But I am interested in reading that book, as well as trying it out and seeing if I feel any different.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: November 30, 2011 12:17AM

gluten & grain free here, too.

if you want something crunchy or snackish, maybe try flax crackers. smiling smiley

Date: December 07, 2011 12:08AM

Gluten free is very hard. feeling sluggish today. I do not get many choices at work and working with 17 three year olds leaves me dizzy if I don't eat. I have to keep this job until June but I think I am going to have to start looking around a few months before the job ends and make choices that can support a better health also. Thank you for all the support!!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 07, 2011 12:19AM

Here is one list of things to avoid for gluten
[www.celiac.com]

There is also the UK Celiac society, but you need a membership for services.
[www.coeliac.org.uk]

If you avoid grains of any type and are raw vegan you are very, very likely to be gluten free. I remember looking at the list of things to avoid on a certain webpage, and its surprising how often gluten appeared in prepared foods, ones which one would not suspect.

Date: December 07, 2011 12:20AM

just 4 me-

I can relate to what you are going through. I work in a restaurant, and am completely surrounded all day by smells and foods that are terrible for me. I used to eat some of the stuff there, because, like you, I got hungry- and some things were just really tempting. But I've developed a much healthier strategy now that works much better for me. i bring my own stuff, even water, I literally take NOTHING from that place anymore.

We are never locked into anything. We always have choices, always. For me, it just means I have to put out a little more effort in planning- otherwise, I'll do something/eat something that I will regret later. I'm pretty committed to my health and to feeling the best I can. So for me, that means staying away from all of the foods that I am surrounded by at work all day.

Good luck! Gluten free is definitely not easy- but it is absolutely worth the effort.

Date: December 07, 2011 12:26AM

I am not allowed to bring any food in ( not even water)! That is why I asked if you thought that sneaking some nuts in my smock pocket and eating in the bathroom was so entirely gross and/or risky towards health....bacterias and all.

Date: December 07, 2011 01:28AM

omg... well you definitely have it more challenging than I do! If it were me, I would sneak in food and look for another job asap. Good luck, you are definitely in a tough spot.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: December 07, 2011 07:30AM

quinoa def, i grew allot this year

life vs lifelessness

Date: December 07, 2011 10:25PM

I am being sent to a college class and have no money to pay them back so I need to wait until this season comes to an end. But with the certification I will have I will be able to find another job easier than I found this one maybe. I lost my job and was unemployed in between small seasonal jobs for two years before I was asked back for a new season at this present job.

I just bought some quinoa and I think someone said couscous is gluten free. Is that correct? I like couscous!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 07, 2011 10:28PM

No! Couscous is wheat! Quinoa and millet are gluten-free, though.

Date: December 07, 2011 10:42PM

Do you think if I am eating just a little gluten then with steamed veggies that a snack once in a while may be fine? I just went gluten free and I have a small box of couscous to use.

Also I was diagnosed years ago as a hypoglycemic and they cut bread and corn down to a bare minimum so thats what I am trying. No headache today , that is another reason I am doing this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables