Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

IBS, candida, digestive problems and over eating...
Posted by: gems ()
Date: November 29, 2011 08:25PM

hey! I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on why we over eat, And about over coming this through eating raw,

I have suffered with tummy problems for a while, eating mostly raw is helping so much. but i still feel the need to eat when im not hungry and this oviously doesnt help my tummy. with candida it can be hard and a funny game of your body craving what it doesnt really need.

i know its mind over matter, which is easy to say! smiling smiley but maybe its something to do with the body needing to be nurtured and its not digesting efficiently and taking in the nutrients well so maybe it craves eating... i dont know, and the emotional, psychological side too! smiling smiley

i am not over weight and happy with my body, but I am trying to heal my digestive problems and get my energy and health back. But I am really battling with my mind, as to why I still over eat, obviously helps being raw, so i over eat on fruit, veg and nuts alot ha ha! which sounds fine i know... but it really still puts a strain on my digestive system! h aha! i know im the only one who can chose to stop eating when my body doesnt really need it...

,.. but i was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this? calming done the mind, eating when and what you need to and come back to balance smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IBS, candida, digestive problems and over eating...
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 29, 2011 08:50PM

I've been reading a lot about insoluble and soluble fiber. I've been taking psyllium husk drinks for 3 weeks now and am feeling very good. I don't have IBS, I'm just taking the drinks for help with other health issues.

I have found a number of statements that soluble fiber can soothe IBS and insoluble fiber can worsen symtoms. Fruits and veggies contain both kinds. I would think then to not overeat those things at one time. But here is one of the sites with lots of info. Scroll down their page to read about IBS and fiber. They are promoting their brand of soluble fiber, but you can take or leave that part. Good old and cheap psyllium husk works.

[www.glucomannan.com]

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 29, 2011 09:23PM

The link I provided in above post also contained another link which I followed. It took me to [www.konjacfoods.com] and it's pretty interesting.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 30, 2011 12:37AM

I am wondering what sorts of cooked foods you are eating (gluten being the obvious one). I know someone with some sort of IBS or Celiac thing who hasn't had it diagnosed and she has to go to the hospital sometimes because of her condition. I tried to tell her about some of the alternative theories and she doesn't want to hear it. Well, once she really got mad at me and then later she listened when I talked a little about it. Some people believe only in the establishment health community and what they suggest but the problem is, the average American with Celiac's has to wait about a dozen years to get a proper diagnosis! In Europe it's way less.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:07AM

gems,

Do you have a yoga practice? I find that yoga, especially the deep diaphragmatic breathing, puts me in to a calm and peaceful state. And in this state, I find that I have less need to overeat. Often when I overeat its because I am feeling something that I don't want to feel. If I become aware of what I am feeling and I am able to see it, and I am willing to allow myself to feel whatever I discomfortable feeling I am experiencing, often the need to eat to sedate myself goes away.

Date: November 30, 2011 10:54AM

wow! smiling smiley thank you for all that helpful information, and i will check those wesites out. IBS covers all digestive problems i think, the doctors just don't want to deal with it. physillium husk didnt do very well with me!

i eat mainly raw fruit and veg now, and it has helped me so much. i dont eat sugar, wheat or dairy really. i eat nuts, egg, fish, sprouts, and small amounts of other things. if i eat this way i feel good, but sometimes my mind takes over! smiling smiley but im working with this and feeling my way through.

Prana thank you so much for your words smiling smiley i do practice yoga, and teach it smiling smiley just at an early stage of really listening to myself, and like you said feel the emotions and feelings as they come, thank you for your words smiling smiley most of the time i am fine, but now and then i slip, so i am trying to stay aware as much as i can, and work with the feelings, bringing them up, and releasing them smiling smiley

Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: November 30, 2011 11:13AM

As far as i know, a lot of our digestive problems stem from the fact that we have not developed a proper gut flora. This leaves us vulnerable to opportunistic pathogens, such as candida. It's a good thing you started eating raw foods, i would recommended that you consume homemade coconut or water kefir to help strengthen your gut.
You can eventually overcome food cravings by changing some of the routines associated with eating. Eat in a different room, arrange your meals differently, and nibble on a carrot or celery stick when you feel like having a snack. Good luck!

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Date: November 30, 2011 06:44PM

thank you for your advice smiling smiley

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: November 30, 2011 07:29PM

What kind of water do you drink? Are you getting enough minerals? Mineral deficiency always creates what appear to be unwarranted cravings. Check this out: [www.youtube.com]

Date: November 30, 2011 07:54PM

thanks ill have a look... i live in london and drink tap water! ha! but i think one thing at a time. i will check your youtube video out thou! ... its just money to buy other water, and i dont have much money at the moment.

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:15PM

The video is actually of one of your compatriots showing how and why you should re-mineralize your water with a Himalayan salt brine. You won't get any minerals from tap water and should probably take that as seriously as you do the other stuff you put into your body. Do you get enough water? Stomach issues are often symptomatic of dehydration.

gems Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks ill have a look... i live in london and
> drink tap water! ha! but i think one thing at a
> time. i will check your youtube video out thou!
> ... its just money to buy other water, and i dont
> have much money at the moment.

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: December 02, 2011 05:43PM

BACK TO THE BEGINNINGS.

Eating is the biggest free radical stress we put on our body and that is why caloric restriction prolongs life, as long as we maintain super-nutrition. The variability in life span, or the rate of aging, is determined by insulin levels. The so-called chronic diseases of aging are symptoms of insulin resistance due to our modern diet, which has an excessive of carbohydrates (starches and sugars) in relation to proteins and fats. When our insulin receptors get sluggish and lose their sensitivity to insulin, the body’s insulin levels go up. The sugar from carbohydrate’s in the diet depresses the immune system and since 80% of the immune system is in the GI tract we can readily see how a high carbohydrate diet will cause an inflammed leaky gut which is unable to maintain healthy intestinal flora. Insulin also causes the retention of sodium and fluid, it stimulates the production of cholesterol by the liver; plus spikes in insulin over-stimulate the sympathetic nervous system. The evolutionary purpose of insulin is that levels are raised in times of plentiful food in order to store excess nutrients for potential famine in the future. The extra glucose is stored as saturated fat, ninety-eight percent of which is palmitic acid. Over time this stored fat turns rancid and the excess sugar caramelizes (glycates) proteins.

The building blocks of the body are proteins and fats, as the body can make all the carbohydrates it needs from proteins and fats. The body stores energy as fat because that is the body's desired fuel. The body can store only a little bit of sugar for glucose was meant to be emergency fuel to be used in situations where an extreme amount of energy was needed. Your primary fuel should be coming from mostly from mono-unsaturated fat like nuts. Insulin's actions are countered by the second metabolic hormone, glucagon. Glucagon sends signals to the kidneys to release excess salt and fluid, to the liver to slow down the production of cholesterol and triglycerides, to the artery wall to relax and drop blood pressure, and to the fat cells to release stored fat to be burned for energy. So you want to increase the ability of the cells in the body to burn fat efficiently, and to do this you need to keep your carbohydrate and insulin levels low. Dr. Ron Rosedale suggests a diet of 20% calories from carbs, 25 to 30% calories from protein, and 60-65% from fat. By maximizing the release of glucagon and minimizing the release of insulin, the malfunctioning insulin receptors regain their sensitivity thereby healing the metabolic disturbances and diseases caused by insulin resistance.

"Excess Insulin And The Insulin Resistance Syndrome" is from a book entitled "Protein Power" by Michael R. Eades, M.D., and Mary D. Eades, M.D. (1996)

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: December 02, 2011 05:44PM

CABBAGE CIDER: I am making great progress with cabbage probiotics...my energy, cognitive speed, strength, aliveness, healing speed and muscle tone is improving. If you put the dregs of the cabbage probiotic on the soil of a house plant...you will see how it rapidly increases growth and vitality. This cider/coleslaw version of fermented cabbage is much easier than Sauerkraut and it avoids the salt. I'm thinking the cabbage cider may be the elixir of youth. Actual joy vibration in guts from making orange juice with it and coleslaw. The intestinal tract literally en-joys it, making one aware that the biochemistry of joy starts with the health and well-being of the microbes in the soil and gut. Cup half full (optimism) and the elevation of hope and potential may actually be gifted to us by the happiness of our bacteria, through the increase in energy and bacterial intelligence chemicals. It is basically the harnessing of bacterial intelligence that makes cabbage cider the elixir of youth. It provides the "free-energy" of predigestion and an onslaught of healthy bacteria to the GI tract, which overpowers any dysbiotic unhealthy microbial conditions and subsequently eliminates inflammation. Since the majority of free radical activity occurs in the GUT, this reduces the wasteful overwork the body must undergo in a system that is already "run down." If the cider was made from wild garlic mustard greens I intuit that this would be the mega-elixir of youth.

Take half a cabbage chopped and grate in a blender which is 2/3 full of spring water, adding a little probiotics: Lactobacteria, soil organisms, Saccharomyces boulardii and/or kefir powder. Put it in a large jar with a lid on and ferment in the dark for 24 hours...sieve the solids out of the mix and use the cabbage for a coleslaw or salad. If you haven't used up all the solids, then continue to ferment 1 more day and use the solids to make another salad. Then grind up the other half of the cabbage with the same water and repeat the fermentation (no need to add more probiotics to this batch). Each 1/2 cabbage cycle can take two days with 1 salad each day. The cabbage water after the four days can be put in a bottle in the fridge and a couple of cups taken throughout the day. You can also use the cider for smoothies, or add some cabbage cider to several oranges with much of their white left on and blend well till smooth.

COLESLAW: Coleslaw can be made with the fermented solids of the cabbage cider from around 24 to 48 hours after starting. Other ingredients may include: grated carrot, chopped apple, red pepper, tomato, soaked wild Amazonian peanuts, currents, raw coconut oil, NZ/Oz cheddar, sprouts, parsley.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: December 02, 2011 11:22PM

I had this problem Gems and this is how I fixed it.
1. Stimulate the digestine.
2. Take a powerful probiotic like Primal Defense.
3. Take a powerful immune stimulator three times a day.
4. Take a good parasite cleanser at some point.
5. Have a good diet and do wheatgrass implants and an full bowel cleanse once a week. You should get better fast if you do this properly.
6. You could also take a good fiber product if you feel you need it. Typically you don't need fiber if you are on a vegan raw food diet but in your condition it would be a good idea to test it out. Get Psyllium husk powder and do a rounded tsp. once a day. Psyllium husk is awsome stuff. IBS is usually caused by a weak immune system and maybe even a genetic or aquired allergy.

Date: December 04, 2011 04:29PM

thanks for all the amazing information... will look into it all... lots of think about. thank you

Date: December 04, 2011 04:34PM

to rzman... thank you for what you put... but... what do you mean by stimulate the digsetive system? what is primal defence? what is an immune stimulator? a parasite clenser? and bowl clenser?

i tried psylum husk at one point, and didnt really help. ive tried probiotics and other suppliments, like milk thistle... but nothing seems to help. i did take them for months.

i just think now to heal it with food, and mostly raw. but if you could tell me a bit more about the points you made? id really like to hear what you have to say.

when i was taking suppliments/bowl clense herbs and all that i wasnt on a raw diet then so thats probably why. whenever ive taking suppliments i dont 'feel' a differnce or feel any better at all, but since eating raw, my tummy feels stronger and body more energy. but there it is still sluggish and weak if i eat too much, or the wrong food.

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: December 29, 2011 01:12AM

I tend to be the same way and i've figured out that often it is because of gut issues. I am always looking for something to put the fire out in my belly. I will think, Maybe if I eat this or that my belly wont burn. What has helped me is structuring my meals better. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. When I allow myself to graze I dont give my belly the rest it needs and then I have discomfort and a terrible roller coaster of eating and drinking to soothe my tummy ensues when in reality I either ate something bad for me or i over ate. HCI and enzymes and probiotics help greatly as wellsmiling smiley

februarygirl

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 29, 2011 12:25PM

Most digestive disorders can be traced and linked to either a lack or alteration in the gut flora.

IBS and candida especially both which have been shown to be caused from a lack of gut flora and in candida's case promoted by intestinal alkalinity.

Your best bet is to repopulate the gut flora with fermented foods and probiotics which provide good bacteria. You should also feed them with prebiotic fibers which stimulate the activity and encourage the growth of the gut bacteria.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 29, 2011 01:54PM

Food alone cannot do it. When the digestive system is weakened and there are blockages and air cannot flow, you have gas, pain. Regular abdominal exercise, and regular fasting is the next system. isometric exercises are particularly helpful, you do not have to wait for the gym, you can exercise while working, driving, anywhere

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables