Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

After 4 months raw, I'm hitting a wall and need advice
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: December 16, 2011 11:53PM

I started this journey with a huge amount of motivation because I was dealing with a sort of health crisis. The good news is I am feeling alot better, and the worst symptom, hairloss, has started to reverse. That's the best news ever, and I love all of the thick new growth, I know it is because of the detoxing as well as the raw organic foods and daily tonic herbs.

But I'm getting bored of my diet, I'm dreaming of cooked junk food, I'm questioning if I should add some cooked (I've been 100% raw for about 3-4 months). I'm listening to little thoughts that say, "oh, dairy is ok... coffee won't hurt...eggs are good protein...a glass of wine might be nice...some bread would taste really good right now."

I haven't acted on any of it, and I really think that if I did, I would be opening the floodgates to disaster. I am not in judgement of anyone who eats of drinks this stuff, I just think that for me, at this point, having any of that would not really be such a rational choice, It would be more like giving into a craving or addiction.

It feels like I'm detoxing, and need to get to the next level, and feel myself starting to buckle. I've done a lot of good work, the outer layers are clean, and now the deeper cleansing is beginning. I feel this because sometimes I can taste metal in my mouth and my stools still smell pretty foul and I'm getting constipated. It's just some cheerleading I need, I think. I've been doing the chlorella, zeolites, lots of spring water and great herbs and superfoods for cleansing and rebuilding, and my diet is really mineral rich with plenty of good fats.

aaahhh.... anyway. I feel better just writing this. Maybe I should go to the store and find some new exciting foods to try.

Thanks for listening everyone. smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: After 4 months raw, I'm hitting a wall and need advice
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: December 17, 2011 02:04AM

marsh
Take it from someone who knows....
Dont give in to cravings.
That could open the door to literally months or years of getting back on track.Been there done that.
Its not worth the fleeting moment of whatever pleasure you would feel eating the craved food.
Vinny

Date: December 17, 2011 02:18AM

Thanks, Vinny.
I'm in a challenging spot. That's why I posted. The cravings are really bad right now. I'm hanging in there.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 17, 2011 02:56AM

marsh, its time to find some new recipes for foods that are less boring to you. Your subconscious desires are sabotaging your good work you've done with your diet and health, and you will find all kinds of rationalization that mind will come up with to put you on a path to bad health again. The mind says "we are healthy now, it won't hurt to eat this or that." Except this or that is a slippery slope to eating full on SAD again.

Just because you have a particular thought or desire does not mean you have to act on it.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 17, 2011 04:11AM

if you are getting harder constipated stools try adding in some more fibrous stuff and maybe some more liquid .. constipation could be a sign you are slightly dehydrated smiling smiley

there are sooooo many raw versions of the things we crave .. you can make raw crackers that are bread like ... or nut milks instead of moo-milk, I just got a soybella and have been making my own almond milk, walnut milk and hazlenut milk and they are all fab ! if you dont like one .. toss it in the bath andyou will come out feeling super sexy soft and slippery ! grinning smiley

there are a few really good organic and i think even some raw unpasturized wines out there .. or if you want the taste and not the alcohol there is plenty of those out there too or maybe look into some recipies to make your own special raw homebrew ! .. or you could experiment making your own kombuchas and what not for fun smiling smiley

cheese was a huge thing for me to give up .. HUGE H U G E... but even now i find some homemade nut cheeses very cool and pleasant

dont give up or give in ... get around it !! grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 17, 2011 04:47AM

you guys are great. thanks so much for the encouragement. i just made one of my super smoothies, i'm feeling full and satisfied right now.

prana-
thanks for your post. that is exactly what's going on. i am feeling so much better, and thinking i can just have a little of this or that and it won;t hurt. so true. but it's like the alcoholic that thinks they've got a handle on it, and can have just one drink. wheat and dairy are poison to my system, they don't agree with me at all, and that's what i'm craving. i have to see this for what it is and ride the wave. it will pass. not easy sometimes, though.

jodi-
you know, i've been practically living on smoothies, that's a good idea to try some new recipes, like prana suggested. it's just so easy to put all of my goodies in the blender and drink it down. i think that's what's getting a little boring. the wine thing for me is all about numbing and escaping, has nothing to do with taste. i don't like the taste haha. a glass of wine to take me away was more my thinking smiling smiley. but my liver is so happy to be detoxing, i don't want to have any alcohol right now. and the constipation comes and goes. i think it's just detox. i'm pretty sure i've hit a layer of some inner crud. lots of emotional stuff coming and going for me now, too. but, it's all good. as long as i just keep hanging out here and not giving in to eating things i know aren't good for me, it will pass.

this week has been rough. but maybe now that i've said all this, i'm coming through whatever this was. of course, we're never done "becoming," right? the onion has many layers.... but i do feel a little stronger. thanks again you guys. smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 17, 2011 10:05PM

Firstly good to hear you are feeling abit better Marsh and some of your symptoms are improving.

I am of the opinion there is nothing wrong with some cooked vegan food aslong as its still healthy and not the mock meat crap or processed food. Could be the time of year also if it is getting colder in your area, raw can be hard in colder climates.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 18, 2011 02:03AM

Hi Marsh

I take my hat off to you for what you've accomplished. It sounds like you've sort of gone cold turkey, without any transitioning. Definately, try not to give in, and you've received some really excellent advice here already. I would reiterate trying some new recipes so you don't get so bored. The psychological side of cleansing is often overlooked, as we have to overcome all the conditioning that we have received since birth. You mentioned that your emotions are also involved. That is all part of cleansing. What I found was that any emotional upset that I was experiencing at the time became more intense. I had to keep in the forefront of my mind that detox was the cause, that things weren't as bad as I felt they were.

One thing that I would suggest, that hasn't been mentioned is meditation. You're becoming much cleaner, and more in tune with our natural world, so find a quiet spot somewhere, such as a park or botanical garden. Try and concentrate on your senses, what you see, feel, smell and hear. As you concentrate on your senses, the voice inside your head will slowly disappear and you will experience the pure beauty of our magical world.

You're on the verge of discovery Marsh, as Vinny and others have said, is it worth the very 'fleeting moment' of pleasure that giving in to these cravings would give you.

Cheers,
geo

Posted by: Katmomma3 ()
Date: December 18, 2011 02:23PM

You have come so far and done so well, it would be sad if you stopped now. Glad you came here to ask for opinions.

I have attempted this path 4 times. Each time resulting in failure after a short time. Then I chanced upon something I hadn't heard of before: green smoothies. I read many postings and recipes and thought to myself I'd be willing to give it a try. IT WORKS! The ingestion of large amounts of green crustiferous leaves blended with fruit and other raw items made the world of difference to me. I can't even list all that has changed.

The best news: I no longer have cravings! Going off program and eating dead de-natured phakefood makes me shudder.

Many raw foodies have experienced what you are going through, including myself. Victoria Boutenko and her family switched to raw and they hit the same wall. Thank goodness she had the fore sight to experiment and re-discover that blending greens was the next best thing since the wheel.

Please check out her website. THERAWFAMILY.COM also: THEGREENSMOOTHIEGIRL.COM and INCREDIBLE SMOOTHIES.com

Please don't give up. There is always an answer.

Date: December 18, 2011 06:04PM

Thanks everyone. I feel so supported. I'm also pretty happy with myself that I reached out instead of caving in. Usually the holidays don't phase me a bit, but this year, recently divorced, (which is a good thing, and on very friendly terms), I think it's weirder to deal with. Food has always been my drug of choice, and so I guess it's no surprise that I would crave all of my past comfort foods right about now.

Some advice on here is reminding me of things I already know. Meditation is a great idea, Geo, I think I'll get that back on a front burner again. I'm enjoying keeping things really simple with my food right now. I'm not so sure if it's boredom or just needing to escape through the pleasures of the SAD coma-producing foods. All I can do is take this day to day, I am loving feeling better, and I want that feeling to grow.

And about having some cooked foods- Powerlifer I do agree with you that all raw is not for everyone. I am not one to be dogmatic or fascist about this or any other path. To each his own, and our intuition knows best. For me, though, right now, I feel like I'm still cleansing pretty heavily. I know raw will move this process along more quickly, so I'm committed for the time being to staying raw. And I'm not so cold! Wow. That's a first in many, many years. I'm practically barefooted (just flipflops on) in this 40-50-60 degree weather. That's a vast improvement for me.

So right now, my tummy is full of my beautiful tonic herbs and favorite superfoods. And these are a good 1/2 of my diet. While I love good organic vegetable and a limited amount of fruit (mostly betties right now), the herbs and superfoods have been my faithful friends and healers in this journey the past few months. Even if someday I choose to modify my diet, the herbs and superfoods will stay.

I'm so grateful for this site, and for you guys. It would be so much harder to do this alone smiling smiley

Date: December 18, 2011 06:09PM

Sounds like your thyroid is improving with the increased body temp and hair restoring, which is great news Marsh smiling smiley.

EDIT: What herbs and superfoods are you using at the moment out of interest?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2011 06:13PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: gems ()
Date: December 18, 2011 06:35PM

smiling smiley so lovely to read all this... marsh you are going ama=zing!!!! ive have been 'transitional' (mostly) raw for 4 months also. and i feel the difference so much. i have also been dealing with health problens... digestive problems. i have been transitioning because it is hard with my environment but i eating lots of raw veg and fruit and green smoothies. i eat some cooked veg, egg and fish but only now and then. i am giving my body time to transition.

but i think its amazing youve gone stright raw and your not giving in to your cravings! !!! i have been! and every time my body feels bad from it! so i think its amazing that your keeping so strong!!!... i defintaly agree with the emotional stuff and the 'detoxing' i go through stages of constipation and bad spots and stages of feeling good lots of energy then rubbish.... and like Geo said and you... im looking it as clearing, releasing, detoxing.... and its definatly a journey! smiling smiley but i think its good to just be aware of this (which you are) and go with it, let it be, know that its a learning journey, to understanding and better health, happiness, cleaer mind and body etc...

we will get there!! !smiling smiley

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: December 18, 2011 10:01PM

Marsh I will say it again in case you did not get this before, nuts work for me and many other people I have observed. Especially when in transition. I don't know if it is mental, physical,both, or depending on who you are, but it seems to balance my blood sugar, soaked of coarse. This way you get the protien, minerals, carbs and all, have some veggies with them if you like.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: December 18, 2011 11:11PM

Definitely is 'definitely ' one of the most misspelled words. It's often spelled incorrectly as 'definately '.

Date: December 19, 2011 04:43AM

I want to comment everyone...

rzman10001- I agree, I love nuts. Mostly I eat cashews and brazil nuts. I love seeds, too.

gems- hey, you know what? I am so not perfect. Today I went ahead a threw a bone to my shadow and had a Starbuck's coffee. I didn't even like it that much and I got waaay too jittery. ok. So now I'm done. I'm back on track and not looking back. smiling smiley Hang in there! Life is a journey, not a destination, right? You can do it.

powerlifer- My favorite herbs right now are ashwagandha, nettle, oatstraw, horsetail, passion flower, reishi mushroom, maca, schizandra, milk thistle, bupleurum and ho shou wu. I take most of them daily, like food but in small amounts, and mix it up each day so I'm not always taking the same ones.

Superfood favorites are goji berries, chlorella, spirulina, pollen, cacao, several different seaweeds, all coconut products and sometimes fresh coconut.

Supplements for my thyroid and general re-building are elecridine iodine, ionic zinc, shilajit, msm and zeolites. This stuff I also take mostly daily, also mixing it up.

My diet is roughly 1/3 living foods, 1/3 tonic herbs and 1/3 superfoods. I find it really satisfying, and I eat far less that I used to and am rarely hungry. As an aside, I've lost 25lbs! I am the thinnest and fittest and more mentally clear than I've been since my 20's and I'm 51. This is a lifestyle for me now, and I'm not going back to my old habits. I feel so much better these days.

Posted by: gems ()
Date: December 19, 2011 09:31PM

smiling smiley yeap its a journey smiling smiley ... glad you having a good one smiling smiley xx

Date: December 19, 2011 09:46PM

marsh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> powerlifer- My favorite herbs right now are
> ashwagandha, nettle, oatstraw, horsetail, passion
> flower, reishi mushroom, maca, schizandra, milk
> thistle, bupleurum and ho shou wu. I take most of
> them daily, like food but in small amounts, and
> mix it up each day so I'm not always taking the
> same ones.
>
> Superfood favorites are goji berries, chlorella,
> spirulina, pollen, cacao, several different
> seaweeds, all coconut products and sometimes fresh
> coconut.
>
> Supplements for my thyroid and general re-building
> are elecridine iodine, ionic zinc, shilajit, msm
> and zeolites. This stuff I also take mostly daily,
> also mixing it up.

Nice one Marsh im glad you are enjoying the herbs and getting good results. Herbology is still one of my favorite past times and you never stop learning, same applies to natural health as a whole i guess. Can be very rewarding applying holistic methods to yourself and when you get the good results its all the better.

Anyway, most of those herbs are either adaptogens or general tonic herbs which are my favorites, probably because the benefits ive received from them also. Artichoke leaf powder is what im using at the moment to cleanse my liver and as as digestive bitter. What do you think of shilajit out of interest ?, ive never used it for properly yet but will get round to it soon, fulvic acid is interesting, and from what ive readd shilajit is well respected for its benefits.

Sorry for the thread hijack. On topic if you did want to have something a little warmer and have a high speed blender you could make a raw or rawish soup in it, no boiled or extremely high temp so still retains most of the nutrients and feels warmed/cooked. Found they were helpful the odd time when i was 100% raw, nuts as been suggested also are good due to being higher in calorie than most other raw foods.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 09:48PM by powerlifer.

Date: December 20, 2011 03:18AM

I love shilajit! It is probably my favorite right now (that and reishi). 88+ minerals, all the co-factors present and the minerals are in perfect ratio, and it's been tried and tested for thousands of years in India. I highly recommend it. It is a natural source of fulvic acid. I also have a bottle of pure fulvic acid, and do take it sometimes with the zeolites. It's another good detoxifier.

I may get some artichoke leaf as well. I'll run through what I have and then cycle some of that in. Thanks for the idea. I am really into herbalism myself now, and study that and natural/living foods just about everyday. Tonic herbalism is what I've come to love. It turns out that my health challenge has opened many wonderful new doors to learning so many things.

And in my quest to try some new recipes, I'm going to start with some savory blender concoctions and warm them slightly... I think it's time for some soup!

Still craving the bad carbs.... but it's getting better.... this place helps so much smiling smiley

Date: December 20, 2011 03:18PM

Nice one on the shilajit, i have some here its working it in ontop of the other things im taking so it may be a while before i give it another shot but im looking forward to it from the research i have done on it.

I love studying it also, so im glad your having fun with it Marshsmiling smiley, tonic and adaptogenic herbalism also my favorite area.

Watch with the raw soups though, i made a tomato and asparagus one in my vitamix the other day which was slightly hotter than what would be considered raw, not sure what happened but a while after consuming i started vomitting very violently. Probably food poisioning but ive never had before so couldn't really tell.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: December 20, 2011 05:03PM

Sorry you got sick!

I'm thinking I'll do the soup like I've been doing the smoothies and use an herbal tea/infusion for the base. With the smoothies, the tea is cold. For the savory soup, I'll use a warmer tea, that way I won't accidentally heat it too mush after it's blended.

About the shilajit, I put it in pretty much everything because I'm literally craving it. But this is my favorite: make a raw carob or cacao drink with it, it adds a dark, earthy, rich, almost coffee or bitter molasses flavor. In the blender I put shilajit, carob or cacao or both, maca, pollen, coconut butter, a few brazils or cashews for body, some stevia and maybe some sun warrior protein powder, and a big handful of raspberries if I want a fruity flavor in the background. Then add some strong, warm herbal tonic tea and what a great way to get a healthy mineral-rich "hot chocolate." In fact, I think I'll go make some right nowsmiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables