Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

barefoot runner in UK
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 18, 2011 08:49PM

How delighted am I. I sometimes think that I am so cut off from the rest of the world tucked away in south west England.

Imagine my delight when I find a barefoot running coach in the next county AND he advocates a raw lifestyle - that's as rare as hen's teeth atround here.

I've contacted him - can't wait to hear back

[barefootrunningcoach.blogspot.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: barefoot runner in UK
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 18, 2011 09:12PM

Are you pretty into your running then flipperjan ?

Im sure ive heard you mention it a few times. Ive started hitting the roads again just 45 minute runs at a good pace, cardio isn't my favorite past time and when i do its usually boxing and bagwork.

What's meant to be the benefits of barefoot running, its not something ive ever looked into ?. Im quite prone to knee problems and find that a good running shoe helps minimize it compared to my dressy type trainers which have a low sole.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: December 19, 2011 11:16AM

I love running powerlifer - although after my last 50 mile event I had to stop for 3 months as i had badly exacerbated a niggling injury. I am a steady long distance runner - no sprints for me thank you very much!!! I did the Lochness Marathon on 2008 very much high raw - it was good.

My diet and my running are not where I want them to be right now hence the excitement about finding a barefoot coach who also is into raw living.

Funnily enough both he and I discovered barefoot running after reading 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall. It is about the Tarahumara - a tribe who run astonishingly long distances in the Mexican Copper Canyons virtually barefoot. I also discovered chia seeds here as that is how the Tarahumara fuel themselves. I heartily recommend this book - it's a fab read even if you are not into running.

So why barefoot - well I suggest you look at the link I put up but as I understand it this is it in a nutshell: over the last 40years massive amounts of money have been poured into trainer technology, there is a bewildering array of shoes out there promising something for everybody BUT physio's, podiatrists etc are getting rich - never before have runners been so injured. At least 80% of all regular runners have some kind of problem ranging from a niggle (watch out!!!) to a full blown injury.

There are very few natural forefoot strikers and they usually have terribly tight calves and achilles problems because they are wearing modern cushioned shoes that don't help them - the other 95% of runners land with a crash with every stride on their heel and then roll through the foot to push off again. This crash landing jars every joint in the body. I think if you land on your forefoot you have a natural spring built in - the foot dips at the heel like a spring and the shock is dissipated.
There are all kinds of shoes with added this, that and the other built in to stop you pronating, supinating etc etc but they don't solve the problem, they mearly try and protect you from it. (a bit like modern medicine really - never getting to the source of the problem)
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence out there which tells of people with long term injuries going barefoot and getting rid of all their problems. However I would just like to caution that you cannot just discard your ordinary trainers and hit the road barefoot or in a minimilist shoe - you have to transition and learn how to alter your gait - and then build the mileage back up again.

Jonno says I should still aim for the Swiss Alpine Marathon this July even though I am currently no where near fit enough and I haven't even started barefoot yet. I love optimistic people.

Anyway - read around the subject for yourself - it makes sense to me and I believe that running barefoot or ina minimilist shoe complements the raw lifestyle beautifully.

Do read that book and Happy Christmas and New Year to you

Date: December 19, 2011 12:14PM

That was some good info flipperjan and you are right about the landing technique, recently i have been expirementing. The reason i swerve doing any running is because it flares up my IT band syndrome which has a knock on effect to my thai boxing and weight lifting.

Im going to check that link out.

Thanks, hope you have a good Christmas and New Year also smiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: December 19, 2011 12:20PM

Ha - it was ITB that stopped me in my tracks in May.

a quote from Jonno 'The irony is that this 'new' technique is millions of years old and we have only been struggling along as injury prone heel strikers since Nike introduced the first cushioned shoes 40 years ago...'

Date: December 19, 2011 12:42PM

IT Band Syndrome is a giant pain in the bum, what do you do to correct it?

I don't find the foam roller helpful, stretching helps abit, deep tissue massage was helpful but expensive.

That is a good quote, i must look into this more.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: December 19, 2011 01:00PM

I guess you are both familiar with the POSE method of running. It advocates a shoe with very little cushioning....and a ball or forefoot strike. I was always a Heel-Striker....hence my Back injury now. Marathons are not good for runners with poor technique.
I remember Zola Budd as a premier (world class) barefoot runner in the 80's (if I remember right).
"Born to Run" was also a book about Sebastian Coe...again if memory serves......WY

Date: December 19, 2011 01:22PM

Powerlifer - I find the foam roller useful but not a cure all. like you say massage is required all around the attachment areas both in the knee and the hip. It's not really possible to stretch the ITB and only a tiny part of the muscles attaching it. I think the only answer really is improving the biomechanics, running style etc.

I have a very tight illiacus and psoas and they are nearly impossible for me to stretch - I think they have fused after all these years (old fracture of femur followed by 4months in traction and then NO physio at all - 30 years ago) I am just beginning to address these issues as i learn that when the medics say 'never' that isn't always the truth!!!!!!!

Hi WY - no running is really any good for runners with poor technique. Have you got your back sorted out now? I hope so.

I remember Zola Budd - I'm sure there was a storm about the 'politics' as she was from South Africa if my memory serves me correctly.

Some elite teams are taken to high altitudes in Africa and train barefoot - double whammy. The message is filtering through everywhere.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: December 20, 2011 06:49PM

While I think barefoot running is a mistake, there are resources besides vibram 5 fingers which might bare a closer relationship with what the Tamuharama actually do. Many of them probably wear sandals... which why still not optimal, at least it offers an alternative to the regular shoe, vibram 5 fingers, and barefoot.. anyway, while I'm not inclined to follow suit, [www.invisibleshoe.com] There is a how to make your own sandal piece in there someplace. Traditional running shoes and socks for me. To each their own.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 06:50PM by pborst.

Date: December 20, 2011 09:02PM

traditional but only from about 40 years ago - ha ha - I take your point and like you say each to their own.

Date: December 20, 2011 10:01PM

I think out of everything stretching is very important and something i still neglect after years of knowing how much tightness and knock on injuries.

Which seems the case with the IT band as its not actually really that stretchable so you are better off stretching the surrounding muscles. Still annoying as last thing i want to do after an exhausting run or football match is stretch lol.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 21, 2011 03:51AM

im guessing its along of the lines of something like this

[www.bodymath.com]

The sphenoid bone is a small bone located in the very center of the skull. It was named for its wedge-like butterfly shape. It connects to all the other bones of the skull. The sphenoid bone can be accessed by medical professionals through the nasal passages.

Click Here for Sphenoid Bone!

David Malin's ESR: Inner Opening Technique is a method of reaching the sphenoid bone and manipulating it with a balloon to release restriction patterns in the body. Restrictions may involve physical health, mental health, emotional well-being, or they may be spiritual in nature. By manipulating the sphenoid bone to release the inner being, the patient is opened up to a new level of healing.

Patients who desire relief from hearing or balance problems, breathing problems, sinus, allergies, and headaches are just a few of those who have called on sphenoid manipulation, or ESR, to relieve their condition. Additionally, the technique may include brain function for those with seizures, autism, and Parkinson's Disease. It is said that sphenoid manipulation brings about the highest level of spiritual healing.

David Malin developed the ESR - Inner Opening Technique by integrating a method of Neurocranial Restructuring with his Body Mathâ„¢ system of healing and shamanic healing practices. As one of only 100 practitioners certified to perform Neurocranial Restructuring on the sphenoid, he draws on almost thirty years of experience to bring relief to patients. Through his sphenoid manipulation, patients feel both relieved and released. Contact us for more information

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 21, 2011 05:38PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 05:52PM by pborst.

Date: December 21, 2011 05:51PM

eye rolling smiley

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> traditional but only from about 40 years ago - ha
> ha - I take your point and like you say each to
> their own.

Date: December 21, 2011 06:02PM

allright so my post was in the wrong thread lol oops

Date: December 21, 2011 06:30PM

I just tried to respond to you and got put into the vertigo thread... don't ask me why.

Date: December 21, 2011 07:52PM

well thats weird lol

Posted by: diamond ()
Date: October 20, 2012 02:40PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> im guessing its along of the lines of something
> like this
>
> [www.bodymath.com]
>
> The sphenoid bone is a small bone located in the
> very center of the skull. It was named for its
> wedge-like butterfly shape. It connects to all the
> other bones of the skull. The sphenoid bone can be
> accessed by medical professionals through the
> nasal passages.
>
> Click Here for Sphenoid Bone!
>
> David Malin's ESR: Inner Opening Technique is a
> method of reaching the sphenoid bone and
> manipulating it with a balloon to release
> restriction patterns in the body. Restrictions may
> involve physical health, mental health, emotional
> well-being, or they may be spiritual in nature. By
> manipulating the sphenoid bone to release the
> inner being, the patient is opened up to a new
> level of healing.
>
> Patients who desire relief from hearing or balance
> problems, breathing problems, sinus, allergies,
> and headaches are just a few of those who have
> called on sphenoid manipulation, or ESR, to
> relieve their condition. Additionally, the
> technique may include brain function for those
> with seizures, autism, and Parkinson's Disease. It
> is said that sphenoid manipulation brings about
> the highest level of spiritual healing.
>
> David Malin developed the ESR - Inner Opening
> Technique by integrating a method of Neurocranial
> Restructuring with his Body Mathâ„¢ system of
> healing and shamanic healing practices. As one of
> only 100 practitioners certified to perform
> Neurocranial Restructuring on the sphenoid, he
> draws on almost thirty years of experience to
> bring relief to patients. Through his sphenoid
> manipulation, patients feel both relieved and
> released. Contact us for more information

i would very much like some more information please- any uk practitioners in the north west? terrible pressure in head for over a year now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables