Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Heaven in a Mason jar
Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: December 30, 2011 05:47AM

I love eating. Best thing I had tonight was a juice made with carrot, celery, cucumber, and a hint of Peruvian rainforest ginger. [i.imgur.com] Next I'm having some Braeburns and Granny Smiths with a handful of almonds and a cup of three treasure tonic herb tea. All organic. It was a good day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heaven in a Mason jar
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 30, 2011 05:54AM

i like to sprinkle my cut apples with a teeny bit of nutritional yeast .. it takes me back to my apple and cheese snacking days smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 08, 2012 12:12AM

HH and Jodi, I had to smile at your posts.

HH, I had a green smoothie with cucumber, celery, ginger, spinach, and chia seeds tonight. This was so smiliar to yours. I was so buzzed with energy afterwards.

Jodi, I used to love eating cheese (gouda, havarti (my fav), etc.) with apples and other fruit, too. Those were my days of French sophistication. LOL. I hadn't thought of putting nutritional yeast on an apple as a "raw" version of those fond times. Thanks for the idea.

Therese

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 08, 2012 10:25AM

I had a nice glass of homemade Kombucha.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 08, 2012 01:45PM

I have been water fasting since a digestive upset on New Year's, and had my first juice yesterday--locally farmed beet and Granny Smith apple, and organic lemon juice. It truly was one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted--the nuances in flavor amazed me. Perhaps my palate has just gotten so cleansed, it's tasting these things for the first time smiling smiley

Date: January 08, 2012 02:56PM

I've been doing lemon-ginger blasts to get rid of the holidays. I'm very high raw but not 100% raw and had trouble keeping my "holiday appetite" in check this year. I actually didn't even try so saying that I "had trouble" isn't exactly honest. I allow myself about a month of peaceful dietary imperfection every year. I'm so clean that I can usually lighten up a little without my chronic illness returning. Sadly, I went too far this year (idiot). I'll probably be water-fasting soon.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 08, 2012 04:34PM

Actually, it was a Bonnie Maman preserves glass jar and some big random jars. I have yet to concoct any good raw "preserves/jelly." Anyone have any recipes?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 08, 2012 08:46PM

rawalice,

I would think, since no heat will be involved, you'd need to use high pectin fruits. Persimmons spring to mind[mmmmmmmmm, persiiiiiiimmmmmoooooonnnnnnsssss], and most berries would work, but less seeded varieties would probably be better. I'd use a high speed blender to work everything into a nice mush, and then add a spritz of lemon juice. For a truly jam-like texture, I'd stick the puree in a dehydrator for a couple of days.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 08, 2012 08:51PM

I first tried persimmons on friday and they are amazing although i did a blog on the quality around here earlier today.

[vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: January 10, 2012 03:17PM

What happens if you throw into the blender a little chia or flax seed with the berry or apple or persimmon or whatever? Haven't tried it but it would thicken things up.

Date: January 10, 2012 03:25PM

I love using chia in my smoothies. It doesn't thicken it but in a nice smooth way.

vermontnl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What happens if you throw into the blender a
> little chia or flax seed with the berry or apple
> or persimmon or whatever? Haven't tried it but it
> would thicken things up.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 10, 2012 04:54PM

Depends how much chia ive found, i usually add a tablespoon to most smoothies for an omega-3 boost but also to further slow down the absorption of sugars. I find i do better with a little extra protein or fat in a smoothie, or preferably both.

Chia is quite hydrophilic which means it absorbs water, so if you don't use enough liquid in your smoothies or water containing fruits they can thicken up abit and it becomes more of a pudding. I like doing this because you can create some fruit chia puddings.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 10, 2012 06:53PM

Speaking of cha-cha-cha-chia, does anyone have a non-slime-ridden chia recipe? Probably not the best place for this question but it is what it is...

Date: January 10, 2012 07:07PM

The chia pudding you refer to is common in some parts of Mexico, mainly the Chiapas region as you might guess. They call it a "chia fresca." I believe that chia means "oily" in Spanish.

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Depends how much chia ive found, i usually add a
> tablespoon to most smoothies for an omega-3 boost
> but also to further slow down the absorption of
> sugars. I find i do better with a little extra
> protein or fat in a smoothie, or preferably both.
>
>
> Chia is quite hydrophilic which means it absorbs
> water, so if you don't use enough liquid in your
> smoothies or water containing fruits they can
> thicken up abit and it becomes more of a pudding.
> I like doing this because you can create some
> fruit chia puddings.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables