Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw food and yoga
Posted by: robcul ()
Date: January 01, 2012 01:33PM

I am posting to share a blog I like that is all about raw food and yoga. I don't think there are any other sites dedicated to this little niche, so it is pretty special. The author writes well and on diverse topics like Gandhi's philosophy, book reviews, and interviews with raw yogis. It is a young blog, so I read it all pretty fast, but I learned some neat things. Like that raw foodism and fruitarianism have some pretty old roots in India.

Check it out:
[fruitnyoga.blogspot.com]

Peace and Happy New Year smiling smiley
-Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw food and yoga
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: January 01, 2012 06:38PM

robcul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am posting to share a blog I like that is all about raw food and yoga.

A good book is "Raw Food and Hot Yoga" by Tonya Zavasta. She stresses the Physical rather than the Spiritual.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: robcul ()
Date: January 01, 2012 08:00PM

Tonya Zavasta is awesome, I agree. I hope [fruitnyoga.blogspot.com] will interview her. She did just review a book by Fred Busch, inventor of Power Yoga, and promise an interview is on the way.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 01, 2012 08:22PM

I would love to get into yoga, i have done a few dvds but id like proper instruction.

It would compliment my martial arts training well. So many different yoga types also what does everyone recommend, any good dvds?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 01, 2012 10:07PM

I am a bit skeptical of yoga now, after watching a documentary on the topic.
"Yoga Inc."
[www.hulu.com]
I am sure anyone will get some benefit, but I wondered after watching it how much is 'real yoga'. Of course some people questioned what is 'real'.

Posted by: Frugini ()
Date: January 01, 2012 10:16PM

Robcul:
I'm so glad you enjoy my site!

Wheatgrass Yogi:

There aren't very many books out right now about the connection between raw food and yoga, even though there is an ancient history of rishis and sages who followed a raw diet. Even the ancient Greeks described the diets of the Brahmins of India as being practically fruitarian!

The only two books I know about right now are Fred Busch's book and the one mentioned above by Tonya Zavasta. I'm planning on reading and reviewing Ms. Zavasta's book next. Have you read her book? Did you enjoy it?

To Powerlifter:
Yoga is an excellent compliment to martial arts, as they have a similar lineage. There are many types of yoga, and choosing the "right" one depends on what you hope to gain from your yoga practice.
I enjoy the more physical aspects of a vigorous yoga practice, so I choose Ashtanga to be my saddhana. Ashtanga really focuses on core strength to keep the rest of the body aligned. The flow of it keeps me mentally focused, and helps me meditate.
David Swenson has an excellent demonstration of ashtanga yoga; however you can also just watch it on youtube. This is a 60 minute Primary Series session: [www.youtube.com]
Do remember that it is always best to check in with a teacher to ensure that you are doing postures correctly and not injuring yourself!
I hope you find a practice that suits your needs!

~Frugini

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 02, 2012 01:07AM

Great blog, Frugini!

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: January 02, 2012 01:46AM

PL-

Yoga beginners should start off by emphasizing patience, proper breathing, and technique. A lot of DVDs gloss over both of those if they discuss them at all. That's my experience at least. Barbara Benagh's "Power Yoga" is as much of an exception as you'll find. There's nothing flashy, but if you follow it with intent it will create a nice foundation for your yoga practice. When done correctly yoga is a lot like herbs, subtle yet profoundly deep.

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: January 02, 2012 06:39PM

I went to my first hot yoga class last weekend. I am a total convert! Only problem is that it is not offered anywhere near me...I was visiting family in Lake Placid...so I am going to go on a mission to find someone to get it going in my area. It was realaxing, stress relieving, cleansing, meditative, aerobic, and I felt I was sculpting every muscle. And I loved the heat...loved it! 105 degrees. I have also done youtube videos. Its a good way to find what one likes without making a purchase.

februarygirl

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 02, 2012 07:12PM

Thanks for the info guys, it is something i want to look into more aswell as tai chi.

I reckon they would be a good compliment to my martial arts training. More relaxing and meditative, a side of training i haven't done much in, probably why im a super stressed person lol.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 02, 2012 10:47PM

I always wanted to take a yoga class, but thought I couldn't afford it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 02, 2012 11:48PM

Mislu, there are often free or very low cost classes at community centres. Also perhaps there's an actual yoga centre near you that would let you do an energy exchange if you explain your circumstances. Or maybe there's a student rate at a school or local gym. Best of luck, yoga is lovely. It's something you can easily do on your own once you have a feel for the asanas and posture too. Best <3

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 03, 2012 02:10AM

I'm sure even strict followers of a traditional yoga diet get sick sometimes in their later years, adding more raw foods would probably be an improvement.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 05, 2012 07:13AM

B.K.S. Iyengar's book "Light on Yoga" has it all for the classic Hatha yoga student. He has also written several other books and has CD-Roms. "Light on Yoga" gives detailed direction on how to do the poses and how to breathe with each of them, plus reviews the philosophy of yoga and general breathing techniques.

In the back of the book there are beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses. Each week of the course adds new, more difficult poses for the student to work on. You are referred to the pages of the book that have pictures and detailed directions for each pose.

For Light on Yoga (the book)

[www.amazon.com]

You might be able to get CD-Roms here (See "Iyengar Yoga for All" at the top of the list to the right).

[www.bksiyengar.com]

Here's an old newsreel (1938) of Iyengar (The Part 2 newsreel is great I think). There is also a video of Iyengar practicing at age 90.

[iynaus.org].

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 05, 2012 10:18AM

My favorite yoga books are Yoga for Beauty (where the "releasing the inner light exercise" came from.) Forgot the author's name, I gave it to charity. and Sivananda Companion to Yoga. The diet recommended is a whole foods diet. I think it'd be nice if they added a little section on raw foods or something. There was this one other book too that got gave away. I basically just got bridge pose out of it. (It helps prevent obesity.) Actually, I might have sold it to a used book seller.

Date: January 05, 2012 03:36PM

The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga by Swami Vishnu Devananda and a book simply called Yoga put out by the Sivananda Yoga Center are both on my shelf.
I'm starting to get into Yogilates myself, this is what we practice here in the west when we turn yoga into a fitness routine instead of a spiritual practice anyhow. I'm thinking about taking a teacher training course to update my teaching practice in that direction. Not sure where I can find one but I'd like to do it.

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: January 10, 2012 07:46PM

This book is coming out in a few weeks. It looks pretty interesting. Someone brought it to my attention because the mainstream media has apparently been using it as an excuse to vilify yoga. On the other hand, when you read the description at the amazon page, it looks like it's nothing more than an objective look at yoga through the eyes of a serious, long-time practitioner.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 11, 2012 06:11AM

For me, yoga has done nothing but good. Yoga (the classic hatha kine where you hold your poses) helps me have the discipline to stay raw. And eating raw food helps me be more flexible for my yoga. I find they go very well together.

When I used to eat cooked food, I had trouble feeling well enough to do my yoga routine the following day.

Now that I'm ... well .... older, I notice that if I don't do yoga for a few days, my back starts to ache. And for a number of years, I've noticed that yoga keeps me regular like no other type of exercise. Guess I'm a yoga addict.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: January 11, 2012 08:42AM

we do free yoga in the park

i really admire Shawn Millers yoga..

life vs lifelessness

Date: January 11, 2012 03:03PM

I have a few videos and charts from Lucas Rockwood, he's a raw yogi in case you'd like to look him up. Good stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables