Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rice
Posted by: alive! ()
Date: October 09, 2006 08:12PM

I remember reading a post about rice once. I can't remember what it said exactly, but it had something to do with why we can't soak and sprout rice. Does anyone remember? I'm thinking it said that all rice that's imported into the US is irradiated? Is that possible?

Any input would be appreciated. I sure would love to try sprouting rice and adding it to my diet now and then.

Thanks.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rice
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 09, 2006 10:01PM

I don't know why you can't sprout rice. But you can soak and eat wild rice (which is unrelated to rice), I think you soak it for three days or so and then it is soft to eat.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: October 09, 2006 11:49PM

Hi alive! and Funky Rob,

According to the agricultural extension service in my state, and according to a phone conversation with a rep from Lundberg rice in California, it's illegal to buy and sell rice in the US unless it's been sterilized (that's why it won't sprout). Even certified organic rice is sterilized - probably by heating it, but DEFINITELY NOT by irradiating it since that's not allowed for organic. The reason all rice has to be sterilized supposedly has something to do with preventing the spread of rice diseases.

Some WILD rice brands may not be sterilized, since they are not considered to be real rice.

Sorry. sad smiley

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2006 11:53PM by Ally.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: October 10, 2006 04:21AM

Thanks, Ally! That makes sense. I had this brilliant idea that if I could just find someone in the US that grows rice, then I could get my hands on it and not have to rely on imported rice. But what you say sounds accurate - unfortunately!!! So much for that idea! Unless of course I could find someone who grows rice that would like to "give" me some before the sterilization process! Hey! Maybe I DO still have a mission!!!

I've tried soaking the wild rice and it just gets mushy and stinky.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: October 10, 2006 06:12AM

Hi alive!,

I tried soaking the wild rice too, with the same results. I wonder if some brands are raw and some are not (?)

Please let us know if you happen to find a legal source for unsterilized rice. I'd like to get some too!

-Ally

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 10, 2006 06:56AM

Ally

"rice disease"?

what the ....????

pfffftttt....!!

this world is gettin more insane every time i turn around

Posted by: ilovecarrotjuice ()
Date: October 10, 2006 03:34PM

I buy my wild rice from [www.bulkfoods.com] Its not organic but it still tastes good and earthy. I just soak it overnight and it is ready to eat the next night at dinner. Ive also found it you use warm,not hot, water when you change the soak water, the whole process goes a bit faster. Ive never had the stinky rice problem with this rice.Good luck.

Posted by: ilovecarrotjuice ()
Date: October 12, 2006 02:44PM

Does anyone make rice milk from soaked brown rice? Or wild rice for that matter? I think the reason we end up with stinky rice is because we soak it to long. It really is pretty soft, and mostly split, just soaking overnight. Its yummy added to salads or seed pates/cheese.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 13, 2006 01:00AM

I don't use or eat wild rice, soaked or non, i don't believe it is raw food, I just don't..people say what they want, but its fine during transition I am sure, it is very hard though, its not like regular rice, soaked rice.,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2006 01:01AM by coconutcream.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables