Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

perfumed lettuce???
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: January 07, 2012 04:50AM

I got some lettuce today... and it tasted sort of perfumey... I've gotten this lettuce before from the same store... and yes... "Gasp" it was not organic... (I'm a girl and a VERY limited budget)... but it's never tasted like this before... they rinse their produce a lot... so much so I try to drain it before i weigh it... could they be putting something in the water... maybe some sort of soap... or maybe some perfumed lady fondled this particular head of lettuce... don't know... any ideas???

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: perfumed lettuce???
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 07, 2012 12:40PM

What kind of lettuce was it? Some veggies naturally have funny flavours, soapy etc.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 07, 2012 04:12PM

Ask the produce person at the store.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 07, 2012 05:13PM

It could be that the person handling it as the receiver of produce at the store was wearing heavy perfume/cologne. Do ask about it, as Prism suggests.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 08, 2012 12:41AM

I would smell or muscle-test the produce before buying it. I've gotten fruit or veggies offered to me by my coworkers who wear perfume and when I bit into it, I tasted perfume. I swallowed to be polite but it tasted awful.

Most non-raw foodists don't realize they are contaminating the produce with their personal lotions, perfumes, personal sprays, etc. The contaminate could be from another customer or one of the store clerks. You might want to buy pre-washed/pre-bagged produce if this is a concern.

Date: January 08, 2012 03:43AM

lol... just like nature intended right from the plastic bag... it would be silly to see these bags of rommain lettuce sprouting up out of the ground... or maybe bagged lettuce would actually grow on trees... or maybe i need to live somewhere that i can garden year round so i don't have to worry about this so much... any ideas... i'm in the mood for a big change...

as for the detective work on the lettuce... well we'll see how far i take it... you are right people don't realize the problems with perfumes... and they take it so personal...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 08, 2012 09:11AM

I've noticed some odd flavors lately too. Are you sure it was the lettuce, or just maybe your tastebuds were going screwy?

Date: January 08, 2012 07:55PM

I'm pretty sure it was the lettuce cause nothing else tasted that way...if it were my taste buds wouldn't everything taste funny???

love laugh and dream

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 09, 2012 05:19AM

Well, it sounds like open bin lettuce. Perhaps some unscrupulous person sprayed it so you'd shop at their store.

I swear to God, the other day, someone sprayed some corrosive @#$%& into my cart, and I truly believe it was because I didn't buy their generic brand of bleach. The bottle was dirty all of a sudden, and the plastic was melting. What is our world turning into? With all the posers going around, I pray to God people become vigilant about their homes away from home too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2012 05:30AM by rawalice.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 10, 2012 08:40AM

sounds like human contamination to me too ...

the oter day i was in a eye glass place my friend was getting glasses fitted and all of a sudden the air system came on and out pumped this ghastly noxious perfumey smell .. i stayed as long as i could then told my friend i was going to wait in the car .. it made my nose tingle and my throat start to itch ..gawd only knows what they were blowng thru the air !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables