Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sudden Drop and then Spike in Blood Pressure
Posted by: texasnewf ()
Date: January 10, 2012 12:49AM

Hi there, I started drinking green juice and eating raw foods right after Christmas day on the 26th and I had someone tell me last week that I should be drinkimg more water first thing in the morning before I had my juice and they recommended drinking 2-32oz waters back to back, then wait 1 hr and drink my juice. I did this and around 10am I drank my 32oz of green juice and 30 mins later ate 1 small tangerine. Then around 11:30am I started feeling weird like my left elbow 2-3" above and mostly below was really warm, I found like I had a lump in my throat and hard to swallow. So I took my BP with a wrist monitor which I keep close to my recliner chair and my BP was 70/60 and pulse 62. I got up walked around... was nervous about the sudden drop ( I'm already on meds to lower my BP as doctor prescribed - Lisinopril 10/12.5) Then about 15 mins later my BP was 148/100 pulse 90. Overall I felt weird about 1 hour and felt ok the rest of the day.

I was wondering if this could have been a drop in blood sugar which caused this ? Or did all the peeing from all that liquids so fast into my system cause this somehow ?

Anyone have any thoughts or have experienced similar ?

Thanks,

Craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sudden Drop and then Spike in Blood Pressure
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 10, 2012 05:00AM

That's a lot of water and then a very large amount of green juice. Depending on your current health status and how long you've been with the change in diet, it could be that going top quickly will cause you to have detox issues. On top of that you are taking medication and depending on what you are doing to clean up your diet and health issues you might want to talk to your primary caregiver about the current amount of your medication.

It's weird but before I learned about the raw food diet I had symptoms I couldn't say what the cause was..until I read about hypoglycemia..then I knew what I had.

People love to give advice, but if it doesn't feel right to you go with that gut feeling.

Let us know how you are doing and if your problem is resolved in some way.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 10, 2012 08:33AM

drinking so much water in such a short period of time can cause a rapid imbalance in your bodys electrolytes .. read up on water hyponatremia .... 1 8oz glass of water is plenty to drink when you first wake up unless you are doing some sort of marathon in your sleep winking smiley

Water poisoning is caused by excessive consumption of water during a short period of time. This leads to a disruption in normal brain function due to the imbalance of electrolytes in the body’s fluids. Humans are made up of approximately 55 to 65% water, depending on gender, so water is necessary to survive. Water in and of itself is not toxic by any means, but rapid ingestion of a large quantity of water can dilute the careful balance of sodium compounds in the body fluids.

Our body has a balanced method of processing and excreting fluids, either through urine or perspiration. Over-diluting the sodium and potassium levels in the blood plasma through excessive consumption of water is called hyponatremia and contributes to what is called an osmotic shift of the fluid inside and outside the cells. The pressure from this action results in a swelling of the cells, often in the central nervous system, including the brain. This may result in water intoxication, which is not as serious as water poisoning, or as it is also called, hyperhydration.

When the cell membranes can no longer withstand the pressure, the cells can begin to die. This is indicated in more serious forms of water intoxication and water poisoning. Symptoms of water poisoning include lightheadedness, vomiting, headache, nausea and unresponsiveness. When the sodium in the blood plasma falls to dangerous levels, swelling of the brain, coma, seizures and possibly death may occur.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 10, 2012 01:29PM

Jgunn, not to contradict you, but I learned in college biology that the human body is more like 70% water, very similar to the ratio of the earth's. Same with the body's optional pH. Very similar to the natural pH of ocean water. Why is it we can;t drink saltwater, but we can drink water and eat salt?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 10, 2012 01:43PM

Is this the first time you have had this reaction with the juices since you started ?.

Any other symptoms other than those you listed ?.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 10, 2012 02:02PM

Agree that this was a huge amount of water to consume at once(including the smoothie)--water dilutes things! Be careful and use moderation. Remember--all raw fruits and vegetables contain water, so you must take this into account when adding "drinking" water.

rawalice,

The salt content in seawater is far too great for us to be able to metabolize safely; the ratio of "potable" water to salt and other minerals in seawater means the kidneys would be at an immediate deficit of water in processing it. Severe dehydration, ahoy!

Date: January 10, 2012 08:34PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. @powerlifter - No other symptoms other than what I described.. and this is the first time I had that reaction ... and I've cut out all that water at once.. I drink it gradually now and have not had those negative affects since.. I have to say though, it did scare me ... I was considering calling 911...

Thanks jgunn (Jodi) for the great information .. that's some scary stuff there.. I'll take it easy on the water ... smiling smiley

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: January 11, 2012 02:43AM

If you continue towards a clean raw diet, you should monitor your blood pressure closely and ween yourself off the blood pressure medications. Just eating a raw diet will probably bring you down to low blood pressure (even when not taking the medication. Lowering it further with medication, can cause real issues!!). This is common with people who have weak adrenal glands, they have high blood pressure on SAD and too low on raw foods. textbook BP is 120/60, if the systolic # is less than 120 this is indicative of weak adrenals to verying degrees. If you have swaying blood pressure, then this may indicate some congestion in the cerbelum area of the brain as well. In that case some colon cleansing is recomended.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 11, 2012 04:30PM

I agree with WorkoutMan..all so true imo.

Love,
Prism

Date: January 11, 2012 09:48PM

Thanks WorkoutMan and Prism - Lately my BP is about 120/65 or 120/60 .. I'm keeping a close eye on it so that I can eventually lower my BP meds even more... I'm down 75 lbs in 2 years and since then I went from taking 25mg to 20 to 15 ti 10 as of 6 months ago ... Hoping to get off it within a year ! Eating Raw baby ! and juicing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables