Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Water Filtration System Under $300
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 17, 2012 01:39AM

I saw this one and wonder if anyone knows if it's decent: [www.amazon.com]

But then I saw this one: [www.amazon.com]

I am wondering with the latter one, how many gallons total will it filter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water Filtration System Under $300
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 17, 2012 01:44AM

I hear that berkey is supposed to be one of the better filters. The best water to put in your berkey would be fresh spring water!

Date: January 17, 2012 01:47AM

Thanks, Prana. I think Coco has this? In any case, I like the stainless steel and that it also acts like a container (I think). Also, it doesn't require electricity.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 17, 2012 02:01AM

WY and I both have Berkeys, so far I like mine but he's had a couple filters come apart and they are quite pricey. I didn't like hearing about that, I hope mine holds up for the 7 or something years it's supposed to be good for!

Date: January 17, 2012 02:13AM

Thanks, Coco. Do they say total number of gallons you can filter? I just see how much you can do at one time. And one review mentioned leaks! How about the first one? Do you know anything about that one?

Date: January 17, 2012 02:28AM

A friend has one that look similar to the first link but it's got some sort of rocks and little round clay balls in it? Interesting looking, she likes it very much.
I can't remember the stats only that the filters with regular use and occasional rinsing and cleaning should last for nearly 7 years.
If you call the company they sometimes have scratch and dent models on sale for cheaper. That's what I ordered, I can't see anything wrong with it at all. And it does leak, at the tap part. I think I can replace that, it's a standard part you can find at the hardware store but honestly it's no bother to keep a small jar under it to catch the drips. And it's fast enough for me, I just put a jug of water into the top every day and it's always full when I need water.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: January 17, 2012 08:23AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WY and I both have Berkeys, so far I like mine but he's had a couple filters come apart and they are quite pricey.

That's right. I tried to move a couple of filters after they had been used a while, and the glue separated, and I lost 2 filters.
I wouldn't recommend the Berkey Filter for Tap water. The optional Fluoride Filters put a horrible taste in my water......WY
P.S. Some strides have been made. I understand some Municipalities no longer Fluoridate their water.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 17, 2012 08:26AM

I used to use a pur filter. The last one I bought, i couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get it on the stupid faucet. When I did use it before, I had good results. I'd at least try one again if I could get the new design to work.

Date: January 17, 2012 12:50PM

There's no fluoride here, we're very lucky.
WY, have you tried to filter your tap water once with those filters and again with just the regular ones? I wonder how that would work to remove that taste. If you do try it please post how it worked for you.

Date: January 17, 2012 03:45PM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> coco Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > WY and I both have Berkeys, so far I like mine
> but he's had a couple filters come apart and they
> are quite pricey.
>
> That's right. I tried to move a couple of filters
> after they had been used a while, and the glue
> separated, and I lost 2 filters.

Thanks, WY! You may have saved me almost $300! smiling smiley

I am wondering about that cheap one. I am almost certain my municipality fluoridates the water so I am not sure it would get filtered out...I wish someone knew all the ins and outs of it. I haven't found much info online.
> I wouldn't recommend the Berkey Filter for Tap
> water. The optional Fluoride Filters put a
> horrible taste in my water......WY
> P.S. Some strides have been made. I understand
> some Municipalities no longer Fluoridate their
> water.

Date: January 17, 2012 03:48PM

There is no way to filter out fluoride, that's one thing that makes the Berkey so great if you live where there is fluoridated water. They literally make the ONLY filter for that I've ever heard of.

Date: January 17, 2012 04:04PM

Coco, from my understanding, reverse osmosis and distilled water remove fluoride. Or am I mistaken?

Date: January 17, 2012 04:20PM

I'm not sure about distilled, I can't understand how things in the water wouldn't transfer in the steam.
For reverse osmosis everything I've read says that unless it's a very high end and rigorously maintained system you can't be sure of it. Even a microscopic tear in the membrane is enough to let all manner of things through.
I think there's always going to be some issue with any filtration system that keeps it from being perfect. You just have to buy the best you can afford with features that you're comfortable with I suppose. I'm happy with mine but if the filters come apart I'm going to peeved. (I didn't pay nearly that btw, I bought a smaller unit at a reduced price and it's more than enough volume for us).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables