Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

anyone's sun/age spots disappered while on raw? + dry skin problem
Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: January 19, 2012 05:52PM

I've read somewhere ( several sources) that the spots, moles we get on our skin with age are because of the toxicity in the body. If the body is clean, then even if we're exposed to the sun often, those things won't appear on our skin.
I have a couple of sun spots I could live without ( damage from the Carrebean sun). I went raw 7 months ago. Don't see any changes so far.

Also, I have oily skin, but started getting dry red patches recently on my skin. Don't understand why. Could I still be detoxing?
Any recommendations on what to eat for healthy radiant skin would be great appreciated. 7 month on raw, and I don't look radiant. I'm eating a lot of greens, veggies, fruit, seeds, nuts - all organic only. I supplement with food based vitamins too.

thanks a lot in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anyone's sun/age spots disappered while on raw? + dry skin problem
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 19, 2012 06:12PM

not sure where you live littlemermaid but dry red skin in the winter can be pretty common .. have you tried skin brushing? there is a ton of info on the internet about it and keep my winter scaley's away smiling smiley upping the humidity in my house seems to help too in the winter.

it could be detox (internal) or enviornmental (external)

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 19, 2012 07:11PM

Thanks Jodi! I'm in VA. I am aware of winter dryness, and using humidifiers everywhere. And my skin is still very oily, I just get red patches that dry out and scale. I heard about skin brushing, and actually have a good brush, but keep on forgeting to use it. I should make it a habit.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 19, 2012 07:20PM

Sun spots just don't go away, lol. Mine are from pregnancy during summer, nothing fades them.
Make sure you are hydrated, flaky skin = dehydration. Skin needs oil as well as emolience, it's a finicky balance. Avoid hot baths and showers, don't bathe too often (every 3 days max w "spot checks" in between).
Sulphur based foods are terrific for skin, radishes top the list. Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory foods too, blueberries, pineapple, turmeric. Dark leafy greens, essential fatty acids. You can use fitday.com or a site like it to see if you're regularly missing any major nutrients.
Check fragrances and ingredients in your laundry soap and body products, allergies can develop at any time so an elimination experiment can be good to reveal the culprit.

Date: January 19, 2012 08:23PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sun spots just don't go away
Ah, I was SO hoping they would sad smiley
Thanks for all the advice, coco. I'm going to try fitday.com Thank you

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 19, 2012 09:05PM

I have had a large one on my hand that went away when I used Lugol's 5% solution of Iodine on it. But I can't get rid of the other larger one although I've been working on it for a few years. I will say that some have lightened and if any others have disappeared I can't tell.

I paint iodine on various skin anomalies and have been for some years now.

I know sun damaged skin anomalies can be treated and removed. I've had it done. I'm not sure about the ones on backs of hands though. I think they have different procedures to remove those too.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 19, 2012 09:54PM

Well, there's skin bleach but that doesn't sound all that healthy to me.
Check out gardenofwisdom's website, they make fairly natural products and I've seen a lightener there.

Date: January 19, 2012 10:41PM

Prism - Thank you! I didn't know that about Iodine. I'll try it.
Coco- thanks for the gardenofwisdom site

Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: January 20, 2012 12:28PM

Hye there!

For my knowledge, sun spots are associated with aging and caused by the skin gradually losing its ability to regenerate when exposed to UV light. They are unrelated to toxins, so no amount of detox will remove them. Other than being considered unsightly, they are benign, so there's no real reason to worry about them. I've heard that apple cider vinegar can help the skin regenerate easier from UV exposure.

As far as the red patches are concerned, it sounds like some sort of eczema, but it is hard to determine the cause. Could be environmental, could be something in the food, the water or even an autoimmune reaction. I've read somewhere that it may be a reaction to an unnaturally sterile environment...meaning that our skin is not naturally meant to be this clean and that it is meant to be exposed to pathogens in order for the immune system to regulate itself.

I'm not sure if this info was useful...if the skin rash gets worse, you should probably see a dermatologist first before opting for any treatments. Good luck!

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: January 20, 2012 04:13PM

Eating raw is not enough to remove skin domage from external factors.
I have been using a mixture of lemon or lime juice with cumcumbers to my face, it works very well. [www.recipesandbeautytips.com]

Date: January 23, 2012 05:33PM

vegmichelle,madinah - Thanks for your responses! I stopped using soap to cleanse my face, and the red patches went away. Very interesting combination - lemon and cucumber! I'll try it tonight, have the ingredients at home smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables