Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kombucha
Date: January 22, 2012 10:56PM

I have been a fan of kombucha for a couple of years now. The bottles they sell around me all indicate they are "raw". I have recently been looking into making my own kombucha. The recipe indicates you must steep tea in boiling water as the first step and then add the tea to a cane sugar.

How is that raw? Am I missing something here? Can someone please explain or provide me with a "raw" recipe?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kombucha
Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: January 26, 2012 05:59PM

Good question. I love kombucha too and have been brewing my own. I read the scoby eats all of the sugar to grow and ferment the tea. The mixture has to cool to room temperature before the scoby can be added. If the scoby is added to it when it's hot, then it will die.

I just bottled my kombucha with fresh apple juice. I am letting it double ferment right now.

They might package it as raw, because once fermented it hasn't been pasturized. I guess if you were concerned you could try it with sun tea.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 27, 2012 12:31PM

[www.ehow.com]

This one doesn't seem bad, though I skip the pH stuff. There's lots of good recipes online. i wouldn't call it raw, but it's so good. You can always buy a bottle and let it sit a long time to make your own scoby, though I have gotten some good ones off of ebay.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 27, 2012 01:18PM

Technically not raw, though the ferment is. Tea is so healthy, I do still drink it brewed, although it needn't be scalding hot for drinking nor kombucha making smiling smiley

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 27, 2012 03:59PM

I've never made kombucha, but you might be able to make a raw sun tea, and use blended dates as your sweetener, perhaps filtering out the date solids by use of a siphon at the end of the process.

One of the fun parts of being raw is taking cooked food recipes and ideas, and making your own raw version of the product.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 27, 2012 04:02PM

Once I used Earl Grey tea because I'd run out of regular, the volatile oils (bergamot) killed the Kombucha mother. They are quite sensitive so be careful when trying out alternate ingredients. Luckily there are many recipes online to check out before you try something new winking smiley.

Date: February 06, 2012 12:11AM

Thanks for all of the info. Prana~ I was just today thinking about the idea of using something other than sugar as a sweetener. Dates or date sugar may be a good idea. I have a friend who will give me a SCOBY when I am ready. Now, I have to find an adequate receptacle to hold my Kombucha. I am master cleansing right now (day 22) so I want to hit the ground running with this when I am done next week. I plan to do a 70 day juice fast but I want to incorporate Kombucha with my juice fast.

Has anyone incorporated Kombucha with a juice fast before? I guess that kind of makes it more of a liquidtarian diet more so than a juice fast, but I feel the Kombucha will aid in my digestion. Thoughts?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables