Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how long do coconuts last in the fridge?
Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: January 24, 2012 08:08AM

i bought a young thai coconut 10 days ago and its still sitting in the fridge. im afraid to open it. how long do they keep?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how long do coconuts last in the fridge?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 24, 2012 01:49PM

Might be ok but I'd open it soon to see. If it's started to spoil it might have gotten a bit pink tinged. If it's really off it will smell like something died in there, rotten coconut is one of the most offensive odours ever!

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: January 24, 2012 08:18PM

I had them sitting in the fridge for months. They never rot, in my case. The meat inside hardens though, as they gradually dry out. But dry coconuts are just as good.

Date: January 25, 2012 12:08AM

Takes ages, as it's designed to keep until it settles somewhere where it can sprout. I'm not so sure of keeping it in the fridge though. Like, it's a moist environment, so it may be moist enough to send down roots. But really, Iduno cause I always kept my nuts in a dark dry place. They act like any other seed, so there's no real reason to refridgerate them IMO.

Date: January 25, 2012 02:37AM

They aren't designed to be taken off the tree before they're finished growing though, I'd think young coconut is way more delicate than hairy old brown coconut.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 25, 2012 11:26PM

I've had ones rot on me in the fridge and at room temp. Open it and see, and if there's any discoloration or the slightest whiff of putrescence, throw it away!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables