Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sharon Fruit?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 24, 2012 07:42PM

Does anyone know if you can eat the skin of the sharon fruit?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sharon Fruit?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 24, 2012 10:15PM

Yes. A sharon fruit is a persimmon.

Date: January 24, 2012 10:34PM

Are they meant to have black spots in them, both times now they have looked off inside with black spots.

So i have thrown them out, only one so far hasn't and there really nice, sugary and yummy. Just consitently poor quality around here.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 24, 2012 10:41PM

I can only find them rock hard or too ripe here in Canada, there must be a magic moment when they are just right but it really is only a brief window of time that I consistently miss.

Date: January 24, 2012 10:57PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can only find them rock hard or too ripe here in
> Canada, there must be a magic moment when they are
> just right but it really is only a brief window of
> time that I consistently miss.

Glad im not the only one, they are not worth buying for £2 for 3 tiny sharon fruit for 1 out none out of each batch to be ok. The expiration is the 29th which is like 5 days away and they are all rotton with the black spots on the inside again.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 24, 2012 11:07PM

No Powerlifer - they are absolutely fine with the black spots - that just means they are nice and ripe. You can get the little small ones which tend to have the spots but when ripe are sweet and delicious. Then you can get much larger ones - nearly the size of a tennis ball - they don't always have the spots and aren't always as sweet - although they can be. See - clear as mud - lol.

It's a bit late in the season for them now in the UK - they tend to be better in the autumn. Sometimes Lidl have trays of them and I have been known to buy the whole tray at 30p each - it's a rare occurance though and never at this time of year.

Anyway - spots are fine. I personally do not enjoy the skin - I cut off the top and suck off the flesh and then I cut the body of the fruit into quarters and suck out the flesh there too - very nice and messy and not at all elegant but very yummy.

hope this helps smiling smiley

p.s very occasionally there is a very large seed which I have managed to germinate on two occasions - although it needs to be very mild to get them through the winters - I was doing ok until the last two winters hit!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 11:10PM by flipperjan.

Date: January 25, 2012 09:31AM

Thanks Flipperjan i guess i chucked out some perfectly good sharon fruit then woops lol smiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: January 28, 2012 03:58PM

I love them; I've eaten over twenty pounds of them in the past month- from Israel.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 28, 2012 07:10PM

Gee willikers, I didn't know they were the same thing!

Posted by: Hathi4 ()
Date: January 31, 2012 06:52PM

One of many sharon fruit vendors at my local farmer's market (we have an abundance in SoCal) told me the black spots are from the outer fruits on the tree where the sun has hit them excessively. They're essentially sunburns and are completely safe to eat. :-)

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: February 02, 2012 01:48PM

I like the name persimmon. The one's I've had had a deep velvety flavor, way better than apricots. Plus they seem to be as effective as prunes for &%$##ing.

Date: February 02, 2012 02:17PM

Cheers for the posts. I think i will leave them for now though until i find another supplier as those black spots look nasty as and not very appetizing.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 03, 2012 03:56AM

rawalice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the name persimmon. The one's I've had had
> a deep velvety flavor, way better than apricots.
> Plus they seem to be as effective as prunes for
> &%$##ing.

LOL...Nice visual there, Alice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables