Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sensitivies being raw in the big city
Posted by: adrian ()
Date: January 27, 2012 09:58PM

hi everyone...everytime i get myself to the point of all raw, i become irritated at living seemingly in conflict with the health i want...breathing the car fumes, just feeling the lack of nature around me, not able to get fresh produce easily, especially organic. i keep dreaming of a beautiful home in nature, but of course not so easy to change my whole life to obtain.

and the sight/smell of meat, i get a whiff of it in the hall somewhere or see an ad and i almost can throw up. which i see as a good thing mind you. but funny since i've been vegetarian for over 20 years, and vegan for 10 years, but it's only when i'm raw that i have this reaction (totally involuntary). raw is wonderful i love it, but how to live it in the city, maybe i'll adjust, i'm guessing. anyone else go through similar. i keep feeling like i need fresh air...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sensitivies being raw in the big city
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 27, 2012 10:52PM

When I first went raw and could smell again, I had this issue. After living in San Francisco as a raw foodist for 3 years, I moved away to the countryside and I live in a small town now. But nowadays, when I visit San Francisco, with all of its unusual smells and the intense energy of the cell phones, wifi, power lines, and other electromagnetic radiation, the traffic, the crowds, I am not bothered much. This may be because I only spend 2-3 days there at a time. But also I just take all this energy, either the smells or the energy I feel, as information, and don't take any of it personally, as it is not personal, its just a bit uncomfortable.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 27, 2012 11:02PM

I had a similar experience, it was nearly unbearable for me. I had to leave the city as well, I've never been able to go back for more than a couple of days at a time. In fact, as wifi, cell phone towers, digital TV etc become more and more prevalent I'm having to look at moving even further away from this small town we're in. I am very sensitive, less than when I followed a completely 100% raw vegan diet but still uncomfortably so.

Date: January 28, 2012 02:21AM

i wonder if some of what i'm feeling is emr as well, i don't know. i live very close to hydro towers too. but i feel just very sensitive, and increased sense of smell and what i think is just sensing energies? i feel like i need to run away somewhere!

thank you both for writing.

i'm going to try that prana, to just take it as information and not personal.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 28, 2012 10:40AM

I still think the extreme sensitivity some get on a raw diet is not only not natural in this day and age but potentially a concern.

Seems to be quite a common trait amongst some raw fooders not being able to handle loud noises, traffic, the city, the pollution etc. When in theory the raw diet is meant to be about increasing immunity i can't see this as a beneficial sign.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 10:41AM by powerlifer.

Date: January 28, 2012 02:27PM

can't agree with that powerlifer...there's different types of sensitivities, some that happen when not well and not able to handle life stresses, and i know of these as i was unwell at one time. and there are sensitivities of being more intune in the body, also spiritually, and able to sense very acutely what is unhealthy and wish to move away from it. there's also a strength in the feeling whereas when unwell and unstable it's weak and frightening. you don't know what i'm feeling so it's presumtious to say it's unhealthy.

my frustration right now isn't how to not have sensitivity as i can feel it's part of moving to higher states, it's how to deal with it where i am.

Date: January 29, 2012 10:58AM

Im still not sure i agree but i do see your point Adriansmiling smiley.

Some of these sensitivities i believe come from deficiencies such as magnesium which increases sensitivity to noise. This is very common in adrenal fatigue as people who are stressed are usually low in magnesium.

I guess the question is why the sensitivity occurs to start with ?. I still can't see it being a good thing, the theory of the raw food diet largely revolves around the thought that it makes us healthier, more immune to health problems etc.

Ive known quite a few raw vegans who have had to revert back to their original diet because they could no longer handle leaving their home the sensitivities were so bad, i can't see that being a good thing.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: January 29, 2012 05:01PM

i see what you're saying. and yea, the question is what is the root cause of it.
is it one symptom of ill health, not like sensitivity that comes with feeling better, but a type that's strung out, with anxiety, and afraid to leave the house. actually i've had that before, and it's not a good thing.

i don't know what's happening with the people you know of, that got worse being raw. there may be underlying issues as well as it just being the diet? like not being able to handle the detox that the diet brought on, or there may be heavy metals. can be many reasons, i just mean that it's i don't think as simple as the raw diet as the cause. but of course i'm very partial to this lifestyle, it's always helped me and always felt right for me. maybe it's not that way for everyone.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: January 30, 2012 02:36AM

The raw (er) diet is meant to be healthier in a relatively clean unpolluted environment, not in a poisoned polluted world with smoke, smog, radiation, cold unnatural air conditioning and everything else unnatural we are exposed to. That's the problem - trying to live a natural life in an unnatural environment.

All the extra fat, protein and heavier foods act as a buffer against everything - as a sort of lining, screen, soundproofing, etc.

Where I am the buses, trains and shops are always on 22 degrees ( freezing ) most of the year. These 'normal ' people can't stand the least bit of warmth, whereas i am comfortable with the warm weather. Who's out of step here.

Powerlifer, in this case it's not the raw diet but the environment that is the problem.

Date: January 30, 2012 09:59AM

BJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Powerlifer, in this case it's not the raw diet but
> the environment that is the problem.

Still have to disagree lol, the enviroment we currently live in is sadly natural, computers, twitters, facebooks, massive amounts of EMF, pollution is sadly the current age.

We don't live like animals out in the wild away from all the pollution, with no computers and electrical devices and so on. The question still is why does this happen to a portion of raw fooders, becoming possibly un-naturally sensitive to their surroundings.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 30, 2012 11:08AM

how can one be unnaturally sensitive to their surroundings? I don't get it. I mean, I think you're right in a sense. raw fooding does seem to make you more sensitive, more ethereal rather than denser, but I truly think that's the vegetarian aspect of it. I always view it as a step in the evolution, but then again, what is it that guides us?

Date: January 30, 2012 11:46AM

By un-naturally sensitive i was meaning that raw food shouldn't be making some people weaker than they were to their surroundings. The whole theory of raw food is about becoming more resilient to disease isn't it?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: January 30, 2012 12:30PM

You're confusing two things. The raw food cleanses you internally so you don't get clogged arteries, veins, etc, but it's not there to build a buffer for you externally. Adrian's point was about external things attacking the senses.

If someone hits you over the head with a hammer your head will crack even if you eat raw and are 100% healthy. The same if a car hits you at speed, it will kill you, likewise with a bullet so let's not confuse things or try to downgrade the 100% raw diet.

If your nose is clogged from eating too much dairy, bread, greasy foods or whatever, a lot of the smells won't be able to get in. If you are cold, by putting clothes on you block the cold getting to your body - the same with a lot of cooked food. As i mentioned before, it acts as an internal buffer.

Perhaps for people living in the cities we need to find the right balance of raw and cooked - enough raw to keep the interior of our bodies clean, but enough cooked food to provide that buffer against the external '' forces of evil ''.

Date: January 30, 2012 12:50PM

I still don't agree, not everyone who eats SAD or the average modern diet is clogged or has clogged arteries etc. Sure a large portion of them do, but there are plenty healthy individuals who don't eat raw or vegan.

I wasn't suggesting raw would make you bullet proof lol just that the overall hypothesis is to eat raw to help cure numerous diseases i.e to raise immunity. Raising immunity is about becoming more immune to the climate and surroundings we are in, not becoming weaker to them.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 12:59PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 30, 2012 01:15PM

Every human body is different and reacts differently, and the healthy non raw or non vegan have that buffer from eating the heavier foods. There are many healthy people than can go out drinking and get blind drunk and get home at 4 in the morning and get up at 6 in the morning and do a hard days labour - just lucky being born with a fantastically strong body.

Since we seem to be going in circles, the last word goes to you.

Date: January 30, 2012 01:18PM

BJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every human body is different and reacts
> differently, and the healthy non raw or non vegan
> have that buffer from eating the heavier foods.
> There are many healthy people than can go out
> drinking and get blind drunk and get home at 4 in
> the morning and get up at 6 in the morning and do
> a hard days labour - just lucky being born with a
> fantastically strong body.
>
> Since we seem to be going in circles, the last
> word goes to you.

This is true, i guess my point was why some become so sensitive to their surroundings once on a raw diet, is it due to a deficiency of nutrients needed for the nervous system such as B vits, Magnesium etc or for what other reason?

Many find it so unbearable that they end up going back to a cooked food diet. Even going back to cooked clean vegan diet seems to clear it up for many so i still suspect it could be caused by some nutrient deficiency.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 01:19PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 30, 2012 01:21PM

It does seem to boost your immunity, but at the same time, we don't want no cyclops.

Posted by: littlemermaid ()
Date: January 30, 2012 06:37PM

I totally resonate with the original poster. You get more in tune with your true nature when on raw. We are not meant to live in polluted cities, with artificial air all year around, surrounded by all the emfs, noise,etc. These sensetivies are our bodies calling us to get back to natural lifestyle. So there's nothing wrong with that. We are plenty healthy, but we are not meant to deal with toxic emissions, chlorinated fluoridated POISONED water , loud inharmoniuos sounds, etc. - they're harmful to all living beings!
It's just sad that many of us can't for many reasons, primarily financial give up everything and mover to countryside and grow our own food. That's what I'd like to do more than anything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 06:39PM by littlemermaid.

Date: January 31, 2012 04:25AM

yes, that's exactly how i feel. it's nice being understood by you guys! thank you all for your input.

everything around me in the day isn't what i know is natural or what i can feel is good for me, which is frustrating. but maybe i'll be able to move in time, can't figure out how i'd do that actually, but who knows. i'll just keep moving towards more health as much as i can where i am now, maybe some hydroponics, for sure i need an air filter. but really glad you all know what i'm saying, that actually helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables