Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

need your help.
Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: January 28, 2012 11:21PM

Hi all,
First of all, thank for your support and help that you have given.
For the healthy reason as I belong to high risk catagory, I started to eat raw gradually for 5 months (I would say 50-60% raw). From the sugggestions that I got: 1)limit high sugar fruits and vegetables 2)limit fat

If I just eat green vegatables, how would I get the calorie that I need since I am thin already?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need your help.
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 29, 2012 03:27PM

jj,

If you are abstaining from fruits and fats in excess, you may have to consider including healthy cooked vegan foods, like starchy vegetables or beans, in your diet. I wish you good health smiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 29, 2012 04:23PM

You could eat low glycemic fruits. And if you are around 50% raw then what other foods are you eating? And if you are eating 50% of cooked foods, you might reconsider eating more fruit and less cooked foods.

I also have a friend that was supplementing with a Hemp Protein Raw Food Powder..I can never remember the name of the product though. It makes a very green smoothie drink though. That would help with calories and nutrients.

I don't believe that one could live on just green vegetables for long.

Love,
Prism

Date: January 29, 2012 08:37PM

thank you for your help.
>You could eat low glycemic fruits. And if you are around 50% raw then what other >foods are you eating?

cooked organic brown rice, yams, organic 100% wheat, cooked vegetables, fish and organic eggs etc...

Since I limit meat, my family members said that that's not healthy and I am anemic too. I look not healthy as before and that's why I added fish and organic eggs back...I've never gotten one day on 100% raw after 5 months...Now, I am confused.
Hope that I will not stop at this point.

Thank you for your help and sharing.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 29, 2012 08:41PM

If you were limiting sweet fruit and fat in your raw diet, odds are you were not getting enough calories, and this could account for your not looking and feeling good.

Try eating more sweet fruit and some fats. See if you can listen to what your body is asking for, rather than following a set of arbitrary rules you read on the internet.

Myself, I eat lots of sweet fruit in a day, perhaps over 20 pieces of fruit a day.

Date: January 29, 2012 11:48PM

jj,

The animal foods you are eating are not great sources of iron. Kidney beans and lentils are better. Also, of course, leafy greens eaten with a source of Vitamin C. Blackstrap molasses has helped me to maintain iron stores. Good luck.

Date: January 31, 2012 01:38AM

>The animal foods you are eating are not great sources of iron

my family members told me that I do not get enough protein I need since I limit meat intake. I added these animal foods back.

So, with raw/vegan diet, how would you get enough protein?

Thank you for all your support and help.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 31, 2012 02:33AM

Enter your daily diet into an online nutrition tracker like fitday.com for a break down of how much protein, vitamins, minerals etc you're getting if you are concerned about them. Then you'll see if you are in fact short on protein or not. Keep in mind that over eating protein is as unhealthy as not getting enough.

I did this (online tracking) for my son for a school project on nutrition recently. He can home with a chart and info that stated that he had to have certain food groups (dairy, etc) or he would not be healthy. Tracking his daily diet showed how wrong that was, he gets more than enough calcium from nuts, seeds and greens.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: January 31, 2012 03:01AM

jj, I'm borderline anemic, too. I've had to take Solgar Gentle Iron for Vegans (in veggie caps) to supplement my iron. Drinking Young Cocount water sometimes 2-3 in a day or taking chlorophyl is very helpful, too.

I'm not sure that you are getting enough calories or nutrients. I used fitday.com in the beginning to ensure I was receiving proper nutrients.

I also recently added chia seeds and Red Star Nutritional yeast (though not really raw) for b vitamins. I ws taking Solgar B-complex in veggie caps prior to adding these two. I found I wasn't getting enough b-complex vitamins as evidenced by my sallow complexion and cracked lips.

I suggest approaching raw as a journey to discover what works best for you. I am still modifying my diet to the best balance as evidenced by my health.

Good luck. Therese

Date: January 31, 2012 09:39PM

Hi Thersese,

Thank you for your sharing.
>also recently added chia seeds and Red Star Nutritional yeast (though not really raw) for b vitamins. I ws taking Solgar B-complex in veggie caps prior to adding these two. I found I wasn't getting enough b-complex vitamins as >evidenced by my sallow complexion and cracked lips.

I guess that I am low in b-complex vitamins too as I have sallow complextion too after I limit meat intake. I have already taken Iron and multi-vitamin supplements.

does "Solgar B-complex in veggie caps" help with your sallow complexion?

Thank you for your help.

Date: January 31, 2012 10:06PM

found this link:
[blog.reneerouleau.com]

Date: January 31, 2012 11:40PM

jj,

The aesthetician apparently subscribes to the Limiting Amino Acid hypothesis, long since disproven. methinks she should stick to formulating ideas about glycolic acid treatments and sea salt body scrubs smiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 01, 2012 12:52AM

The posting of that particular link is suspect to me due to the content on the website and that's you've posted it at least twice on different threads..so are you connected to said website or just promoting a SAD?

Love,
Prism

Date: February 01, 2012 08:52PM

Hi Prism,

Sorry about confusion caused. I am on the way to approach 100% raw(ultimate goal) after reading the book "How I Conquered Cancer Naturally" by Eydie Mae Hunsberger. Recently I am just bothered by my skin change (yellow or sallow indicated in my posts). It could be due to lack of b-complex (as one post/reply mentioned)

Thank you for all your help, support and sharing.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 01, 2012 10:20PM

There was a thread about her [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: michal123 ()
Date: June 14, 2012 04:57AM

Green vegetables are rich source of iron, calcium, potassium, and magnesium and vitamins. So try to eat good vegetables and calorie rich source.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Beyond Diet Scam

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 15, 2012 02:24AM

hi jj2011

maybe drink spinach juice with cucumbers and an apple
or something like that
spinach has lots of iron

umm as for everything else
i don't know
but i'm sure everyone here has some great ideas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables