Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Michael Pollan: Twinkie vs. Carrots
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 02, 2012 11:17PM

Have you ever wondered why a bunch of carrots costs more than a package of Twinkies?
Twinkie vs. Carrots

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Michael Pollan: Twinkie vs. Carrots
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 03, 2012 02:01AM

Why are the governments doing that, subsidising high calorie low nutrient food products, rather than the growers of high nutrient foods? Certainly, people would be encouraged to purchase better foods if they were less expensive than junk food. Also, it would be a great way to reverse the obesity epidemic too.

I remember an article that showed lower socioeconomic areas had a greater problem with obesity than in higher socioeconomic areas. Why? The above is the answer. A family that were interviewed told of having x amount of cash to feed themselves yet still be hungry. They could buy only so much fruit, veg etc, but for the same amount they could all fill up at MacDonalds. Are there other reason why governments subidise junk food?

Cheers, geo

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 03, 2012 02:38AM

Meh. Not really impressed. First of all, it's not true. I can purchase a pound of ORGANIC carrots for .89 at Trader Joe's and .99 at WF. Twinkies probably are at least that much. This lends the impression that we are helpless to eat healthily unless we have a lot of money. Not true and not helpful. Stop waiting for the government to save you from yourself! Grow yer own, dude...It's still not illegal! And that comment about soda was ridiculous. Who cares if they (those people who control what you do, right?) make sodas largergrinning smileyON'T DRINK SODA AT ALL!

Date: February 03, 2012 03:22AM

Of course there are exceptions, though we're talking about the general population here, and the article I mentioned was seemingly true. And overall, there is a problem with obesity in low socioeconomic areas. The vid took the family into an ordinary supermarket (not a convenience store), spent the x amount of money on fruit and veg, then spent the same at MacDonalds. Also, there are many factors involved, such as addictions to junk food, isolation and junk food advertising. Still, governments could do a lot more than at present. So, what other factors are involved here? How about greed. In my local area, inorganic fruit and veg from the larger supermarkets is actually becoming more expensive that at our local organic store. Go figure.....

Cheers, geo

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 03, 2012 03:38AM

banana who,

I guess I get your point, but last time I checked, there were no Trader Joe'ses in the ghetto. The term "food desert" is no joke. Also, no joke that in most places food stamps cannot be used to purchase organic produce. WIC, also restricted. I know people working two jobs to pay their gas bill who don't have time to garden the back quarter acre, even if they have the land. That is why community-run gardens are becoming more prevalent.

Thanks for posting that vid, Prana. Everything he says is so measured and sensible, you wonder why he doesn't have his own afternoon TV show. Instead, we get dreck like "The Chew," which today featured "breakfast all day" menus. When the guest who was raised on natural foods started to act a bit high-strung after eating some donuts, she was mocked for being soft on account of her healthy upbringing. Crazy.

Date: February 03, 2012 03:54AM

Tam, I am sorry to disagree with you. I know all about food deserts. I grew up on the border with Chicago and still travel into the city through the West Side. Have you ever seen a food desert in MI? Because I know full well that they exist. However, they also exist in the 'burbs! I don't drive and my partner and I did not have a car for decades. I walked the distance to the stores I shopped at (not Trader Joe's, either). I was used to it because I grew up at a time when many families had one car and Dad took it to work. My mom, brother and I would walk to a store on the West Side and hug the bags to our chests (before plastic bags with handles). A food desert can be as little as one mile from one's home. That is totally walkable. And those people with jobs can figure out a way to combine their bus trip home with shopping at a grocery. It is very common for people from the 'hood to take a bus out to the 'burbs to go shopping for clothes so why not food? You can even use the transfer for a two-way ride!

It's actually not about Trader Joe's. Any grocery charges between .50-1.00 for a bag of carrots. That was nonsense. They would have been better off mentioning some other product.

The point I am making is that instead of bitching about the government's failings (which I am not surprised about by now), why not be resourceful and figure out ways to get around it? In IL they now accept food stamps at farmer's markets! So progress is definitely being made. And I am not buying the 2-job myth: in this economy, I doubt many people still are able to have two jobs with decent hours. Bottom line: agitate for change but in the MEANTIME, do what you can with what ya got! smiling smiley

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 03, 2012 05:06AM

I looked on eBay, if you buy 144 twinkies, it's $69. That under 50 cents a Twinkie.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 03, 2012 06:50AM

uhh

interesting but i doubt anyone wondered why twinkies cost less than carrots

i never did

but these are salient points nonetheless

i agree that every time i see an article, video or whatever like this, it makes me yawn because it really doesn't apply to me or most people here

i don't know

maybe it does apply

maybe there are people here who dream about Twinkies

to each their own

Date: February 03, 2012 08:41AM

OMG, is human life not respected? Are we only consumers? Are we just expendable? Colateral damage in the wake of ever increasing economic growth? What has happened to our world? We MUST fight, and we MUST keep on fighting for our rights. I refuse to submit, I will always fight for a better, healthier standard of living based on truth, and respect for our beautiful world and for our health.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 03, 2012 08:58AM

"OMG, is human life not respected?"

^^Glad to see my knee-jerk reaction is not the only one.

Here, the cheapest organic carrots I can get are $2/lb... every other place charges more, and stores that would charge less are like a 30 minute drive away. The cost of gas and the rate at which I eat produce form some kind of equation that suggests moderately-priced organic from what is closest to me works out better in the long run.

OH, how I long for the days of living near organic food oases just a bike ride away.

Just felt the need to mention from personal experience... in some places, you simply do get jacked for organic food, and there's not much else you can do besides sacrafice everything else in your life to eat it. =\ I'm still so frustrated every time I think about it (which is every time I get hungry?). On the east coast I paid less for west coast produce. Now, I live on the west coast and it's all twice as expensive (or worse). Even the niche little co-ops.

This summer's mission is entitled, "Meet the farmers." winking smiley

But why must we have to fight so hard... to EAT?!?!?!! (ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!)

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 03, 2012 02:05PM

I never worry about prices.
I fill my cart with produce and joyfully eat.
And if I run out of money,I fast.
Its pretty simple.
Vinny

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: February 03, 2012 02:32PM

I used to love Twinkies! I'd still eat them probably if I wasn't more sensitive to sugar than I used to be. Alas, it's the carrots for me now. I guess i shouldn't say that. I used to love carrots too, I still do. You are so spoil;ed eaglefly! why do I say that? You can just tell. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 03, 2012 03:38PM

Its all in the attitude.

Vinny

Date: February 03, 2012 10:31PM

Phantom, I seemed to have muddied the issue by even bringing up organic carrots. It was just my knee-jerk reaction to the issue, given that Trader Joe's has them for .89 a pound ORGANIC. How much are conventional carrots in your neck of the woods? Because it's absurd to pooh-pooh regular carrots versus a Twinkie, after all. I think all of us would choose the conventional carrots if we had to make such a decision (I always HATED Twinkies but luvved Snowballssmiling smiley).

One little tidbit I left out: it's not always a poor versus rich thang. I worked for a teacher as an assistant. I was in my mid-30s and she was at least a decade younger. She grew up in a middle/upper-middle suburb of Chicago like me (although my family was lower-middle class on paper). I was telling her how easy it is to make guacamole and she had NEVER EATEN AN AVOCADO IN HER LIFE! A woman who lived through 2.5 decades! She had been to Europe, even! Now here's something even more of a head-scratcher: she asked me WHERE to find them! Huh? "Over by the toilet paper." Wow...But she grew up in a vanilla, non-diverse community (close to all Caucasian) and some people, even those with means, still eat a very narrow diet (using the adj. not to judge but illustrate).

Another little tidbit: my last town was lower-middle/working-class and so many people were overweight and people of color (Black and Hispanic). There were two lovely produce markets within walking distance of my apt. (I miss that!).I don't doubt that many of those people who were heavy ate fast food all the time versus going to those produce markets because it's not just black and white. It's about understanding the need to do it, being able to ween off that addictive crap and exercising. Now I live in an affluent area and everyone's jogging their butts off 24/7--how annoying, LOL! I have to make a special trip and stock up when I wanna get the bulk of my produce. There is a definite correlation between eating healthily and education level (although interestingly, not when immigrants are in their homeland--they eat a lot better than when they come here).

Date: February 03, 2012 11:01PM

It's okay Vinny, I'm kind of spoiled too. Potatoes. Come get your potatoes.

Date: February 03, 2012 11:03PM

Lead free potatoes please!

Date: February 03, 2012 11:38PM

Kind of fun little page: [www.kitchenproject.com]

"Yes we have no bananas!" LOL!

And just when you thought you saw it all: check out this recipe: eye rolling smiley

[www.kitchenproject.com]

Date: February 04, 2012 06:58AM

Oh wow BW this is a fun thread. I laughed my head off about where to find avo's..'over by the toilet paper' ahahahah. But it's true, the correlation is there for the edu level etc.

Hey vinny, dare I say that your on your own??? Cause I don't think many partners would go with your attitude (and it's a good one to have BTW) of just fasting when there's no dosh to buy ffood smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 04, 2012 01:00PM

banana who,

Don't actually disagree with you, especially considering your point about knowledge. Ignorance, especially about food and where it comes from, is overshadowing this land like the darkness of Mordor: How could a middle class person a couple of decades ago not know what avocados are? I see guys in mechanic uniforms buying organic avos at my local Meijer, for Pete's sake! Maybe my application of "food desert" is limited. Or maybe a better term is "knowledge desert"?

Date: February 04, 2012 09:46PM

A couple of decades ago? No, this happened in 2003! I was saying that she was on this Earth for 24 years (2.5 decades) and didn't know that avocados were FRESH fruit (veggies)?! But yeah, she didn't. Interesting: she had such a problem with being able to eat and not feel pain. I betcha she had Celiac's. I wish I had the info back then to really help her.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables