Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Spiritual Identity
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 24, 2012 08:29AM

I've noticed that some people I know have been given a spiritual name, or have given themselves one. Does that mean that all of us have a spiritual name that personifies our true self?

I'm curious, as since my only family (my two sisters) have disowned me since our mother's death, I've been thinking of changing my name. I've never really liked my given name, but out of respect for my old mum, I've kept the name she and dad gave me. But it would be cool to have a spiritual name.

Cheers, geo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiritual Identity
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 24, 2012 01:36PM

I have never heard of people having a spiritual name,but I suppose you could give yourself one if you want.
I believe "Jesus" has already been taken thoughsmiling smiley

Vinny

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 24, 2012 02:43PM

geo,

Do what you wish--it's your identity smiling smiley

Date: February 24, 2012 03:13PM

When my son was born I felt a bit foolish labeling him with the surname of some of my ancestors so I gave him his own last name and then changed mine to match. Kind of neat-o to have created our own family name like that, one that personifies us instead of just being taken up as a hand-me-down.
At the time I thought about changing my first name as well but ended up keeping the one my parents made up for me, it's unique and suits me to a "T" (lol) but I did choose a middle name as I hadn't been given one of those at all. So my entire name is quite special actually, I'm not named after any dead aunties and each of my 3 names is very unique with personal significance.
In many cultures people are given or choose a new name whenever something significant happens in their life to change their circumstances or direction. It's a tradition I find fascinating and very appropriate. Much more so than just wandering through life with a random label you may not like or have much feeling for.
Geo, what if you chose a name for yourself but kept your given name as your middle name? If you are thinking about making a legal change you could also choose a new last name, one that means something to you. Mine is a reminder to me and every time I hear it or write it down it brings me to an emotional place where I want to be.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: February 24, 2012 11:04PM

That was very interesting coco!

Date: February 25, 2012 02:08AM

You made me laugh Vinny, damn and so is Buddha rofl....

That's really cool Coco, and it makes a hell of a lot of sense too. I am at the cross-roads, as both my parents have now passed on, and I have no other close relies apart from my sisters, who have alienated me.

What you've said re a meaningful name is something I'll have to meditate on Coco. I do have a middle name 'William', but I don't like the shortened version which is 'Bill'. I was also thinking of changing my 'sir' name also. An acquaintance of mine changed his last name to 'Laughing-wolf', and he says that he actually does laugh more now...well, you'd have to live up to the name eh! lol.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 25, 2012 04:38PM

Would your parents have minded if you'd changed your name though Geo? I don't think i would mind if any of my children wanted to change their names. I mean it isn't out of lack of respect for 'me' that they are changing their names but because they prefer another name to the one I chose for them.

We often take things too personally when they aren't meant to be - you changing your name is just that - nothing to do with the love that you hold for your parents or they for you etc etc. They would still love their 'boy' no matter what he calls himself - that's my feeling anyway.

Nice one Vinny smiling smiley

Date: February 25, 2012 11:15PM

Yes Flipperjan, your right, Dad wouldn't mind though Mum would roll over in her grave if she even knew what I was contemplating, she'd take it very personally. But hey, she had a personality disorder all her life 'narcissistic personality disorder' (NPD), and also 'obsessive compulsive disorder' (OCD). It's now time not to worry what they might or might not think. My sir name is 'Wood', so I could change it to 'Forest' hahaha. I was always told that I'd never be or do anything in my life, that I didn't have the smarts, that I took after my uncle, mum's brother who was abit backward, though in reality was very intelligent, but his Father had broken his spirit. His brother committed suicide as a way out, as he tried to run away from home, but his Father followed him, caught him and brought him back.

Hell, I'm raving now, and out comes the dirty washing toooooo

Date: February 25, 2012 11:43PM

Oh Geo, (((hugs))) to you. Nobody else gets to define you, that's up to you my friend. Much love <3.

ps airing dirty laundry helps to get it clean winking smiley.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 26, 2012 10:08AM

Move over coco - big hug from me too.

Geo - so many of us have dysfunctional families - i know i have.

You always seem like a really interesting and sensitive guy with great input on here.

No harm in giving the washing a big bashing on the line from time to time smiling smiley

Date: February 26, 2012 09:19PM

Geo, Personally I can't imagine doing this but people are so different. Not meant to offend, but is it possible that you are more unhappy with your identity then your name, what's in a name anyhow lol. can't remember were that quote came from. If it makes you happy then have at it! but maybe a good therapist could help you with some introspect before hand. I never appreciated Psychotherapy util I visited the HHI therapist, he blew my mind.

Date: February 26, 2012 10:00PM

Awe shucks... you girls are soooo lovely...n'a great big (((((hugs))))) for both of you to. Thx so much for your kind words. And hey Coco, that's a beaut saying, and you're right too, for even talking to yourself or journalling sort of externalises it, helps a person see it in a different light. I always like the one on all your posts about being part of the mystery..very cool.

Rzman - You know, I guess that's something to do with it too...the identity/name thing, and I identify the name with who the person is. I've been building a new identity for myself over the last few years, and doin' Uni is part of that change, a totally new occupation. But since I do associate a name with the identity, then now I have the opportunity to change the name as well.

Thx heaps for all your imput, and that's one of the things that I appreciate being a member of this forum, most everyone is respectful to each other and I get to see so many various perspectives on any given topic, that broaden my own view, or sometimes totally change it.

Much Love & Respect,
geo x

Date: February 26, 2012 10:50PM

Sorry Geo, I am lost on the "Uni" thing so I did not get the whole idea there.

Date: February 26, 2012 11:03PM

Uni = university.

Posted by: Gauraji ()
Date: February 29, 2012 03:44PM

Thank you for your thoughtful question , Geo. When I was 21, after doing a lot of reflection and soul searching, Glenn Powell, my secular name, decided to become a Vaisnava ( Hindu ) monk. I moved into an ashram / monastery, and observed the five vows that my spiritual master requested, so that I could become qualified to accept formal initiation from him as his disciple, which in turn , he agreed to accept the karma of all my past sins, as long as I promised to keep these 5 vows for the rest of my life, thus avoiding creating more karma / sin, for him to accept from me.

On June 2, 1975, after asking me what the regulative principles were that I agreed to follow, he told me that my name is : Gaura Das, ( servant of Lord Caitanya )

The four regulative principles of freedom from karma that I vowed were :

1. No intoxication, including coffee, and black tea
2. No gambling
3. No eating of meat fish eggs or chicken
4. No illicit sex, or sex outside of marriage, ideally only for procreation

In addition to this, I agreed to chant the holy names of the Lord on japa beads, 16 rounds a day, times 108 beads, = 1,728 mantras / day, minimum

In other words, there was a sacrifice and "price" of sincerity to recieve my initiated spiritual name, and life long vows. I see that now it has become a cheap thing. I am a kirtan / yoga chanting musician, and I have visited many yoga studios , where people either whimsically give themselves a "new name" without having to pay the "price" of humbly accepting a bona fide spiritual master, following any principles, or else they consider themselves to be on the same level as an initiated disciple of a bona fide guru, just by superficially going through a name change.

On the other hand, to wnat to assume, or uncover one's true spiritual identity is a very healthy thing, and I think that many people probably innocently adopt a new name, as a step towards their spiritual evolution, but the tradition is that it is avery great honor to recieve a sanskrit spiritual name, and have the privilege of being accepted by a genuine spiritual master. It is a great comitment, and not a passing fad.

In answer you your final question, yes, we all DO have a spiritual name which reflects our true spiritual self. In the Vedic tradition of ancient spiritual India, men have as a suffix to their name Das which means servant, and Devi Dasi is the female equivalent. A Bobn Dylan sings, "You gotta serve somebody, it may be the Devil or it may be the Lord, but you gotta serve somebody"

So we get to choose, because the atma, or soul , is marginal energy of the SUpreme. We can coose to serve Maya, the goddess of illusion, and struggle with everyone else in this world to be the controller or independent enjoyer, or we can choose to be what the soul truly is, the loving servant of the Lord, which is known as bhakti yoga. Christ, Moses,Mohammed and Krishna essentially have all taught the same thing.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 29, 2012 07:25PM

I would think that what identify us most is how we think and act more than the name. Our thoughts and actions have more impact on our moods our lives and on others than the name.
We are what we eat and think not the name.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables