Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Foods highest in iron?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: February 28, 2012 08:43PM

What do you reccomend for high iron foods? (am researching myself also on google but would like some forum feedback)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foods highest in iron?
Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: February 28, 2012 09:37PM

There are so many lists out there that I wont bother to comment on that. In fact I don't even think about these things. Incase you are asking because you have an issue I'll say this. If you eat a wide variety of food then there is no worry about it. The issue AGAIN! is digestine and absorbtion, period, end of story. I feel that people that don't eat much for whatever reason might have issue with this and other things. Sometimes I can't believe how little some people eat, I am one who likes to eat and have high energy so I think I need it. I do know that if your B-12 is low it will affect your Iron.

Posted by: carmel ()
Date: February 28, 2012 10:48PM

I would like to know what foods are high in iron also.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 28, 2012 11:18PM

A quick google search later...

Here are 12 plant-based foods with some of the highest iron levels:

Spirulina (1 tsp): 5 mg
Cooked soybeans (1/2 cup): 4.4 mg
Pumpkin seeds (1 ounce): 4.2 mg
Quinoa (4 ounces): 4 mg
Blackstrap molasses (1 tbsp): 4 mg
Tomato paste (4 ounces): 3.9 mg
White beans (1/2 cup) 3.9 mg
Cooked spinach (1/2 cup): 3.2 mg
Dried peaches (6 halves): 3.1 mg
Prune juice (8 ounces): 3 mg
Lentils (4 ounces): 3 mg

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: February 29, 2012 02:07AM

It is iron absorption that is important
[dfwnetmall.com]

Posted by: rab ()
Date: February 29, 2012 02:17AM

I have done a test with 'Cocoa Pebbles' cereal - you need a small but strong magnet. Put little water in a plate, let a few flakes float. Then simply drag one of them with a magnet. Works every time. This is because of the 'enriched' flour, with iron added. If you want more iron it is in all types of flour, rice...tons of it.

The problem is that iron does not get into the blood because of the lack of enzimes and copper. We are defficient in copper not in iron. Iron is everywhere where it should not be, our bones, arteris, brain. Check the foods rich in copper, that is what we need. But, of course, NATURAL foods, not any supplements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 02:21AM by rab.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: February 29, 2012 03:05AM

rab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have done a test with 'Cocoa Pebbles' cereal -
> you need a small but strong magnet. Put little
> water in a plate, let a few flakes float. Then
> simply drag one of them with a magnet. Works every
> time. This is because of the 'enriched' flour,
> with iron added. If you want more iron it is in
> all types of flour, rice...tons of it.
>
> The problem is that iron does not get into the
> blood because of the lack of enzimes and copper.

The iron in flour is not natural! it is a suppliment and not a good one at that. Grians have iron but who knows what happens to it in the proccessing of the flour.
> We are defficient in copper not in iron. Iron is
> everywhere where it should not be, our bones,
> arteris, brain. Check the foods rich in copper,
> that is what we need. But, of course, NATURAL
> foods, not any supplements.

Date: February 29, 2012 03:13AM

Copper is in EVERYTHING!
I know this because my son's father has a genetic illness that causes a deadly accumulation of copper and until we had testing for it done I researched which foods to omit from his diet just in case. It's EVERYTHING. Frick, just try being deficient in copper. Just try it.

And obviously iron absorption is important but if one is not absorbing well taking in more iron is pretty essential. One can also deal with absorption issues but in the meantime you've got to take in more iron rich foods in order to absorb enough.

Date: February 29, 2012 07:09AM

Well, I know that there are a myriad of charts with something different to say. But the one that I go by was published by 'Maurice Blackmore' of 'Blackmore's Food Supplements'. I bought his promotional booklet in the early 70's, and still have it today. And since he was promoting his new business, with the first store opening in Fortitude Valley in Brisbane Queensland, Australia, I reackon it would be pretty spot on. Maurice was up against the whole medical community with his new ideas about nutrition, and as far as the percentage of iron content in food is concerned, he has spinach at the top with ,07% of total content, followed by lentils with .06%. Then strawberries and lettuce both with .05%, followed by figs, barley and dates at .04%.

Now, as RP has pointed out, iron absorption is important. What's called heme iron is readily absorbable from animal products. However, veg iron is nonheme iron, and required the addition of vit C, which makes it many times more absorbable then if it was on it's own. Now that's MHO and perspective, but I'm sure I've probably left some things out, so please fill in the gaps guys.

Posted by: Duke ()
Date: February 29, 2012 11:13AM

I just have my share from leafy greens; dark leafy greens.
Iron is one mineral you dont want to overdose on.The more is less.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 03, 2012 04:24PM

my pregnant girlfriend was just tested to be very anemic! She has upped her green juice and smoothies. Mint is actually VERY high in iron compared to other greens! and of course seaweed!

Date: March 03, 2012 05:07PM

Iron deficiency during pregnancy is common, so is folate, calcium, b12, omega fatty acid deficiency (same goes for post pardum nursing time). I encourage you to have regular tests to make sure it's going up with whatever you're doing to change this. It's worth it to look at supplementation if a balance is not being achieved quickly, even if it goes against your ideals. Sometimes you have to do what's best for the baby, all dogma aside. Don't muck about while that person is building itself inside mama, there is no travelling back in time to correct things if you get it wrong...
Take care.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 03, 2012 05:29PM

oh yeah, we agree! that is why we also are taking the RAW brand of iron pills and multi vitamins.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Date: March 03, 2012 05:33PM

Looking good!

I'm happy to hear it, during my first pregancy my iron levels were good for the first time in my life! I took quite a few whole food supplements, ate a lot of super food, omega's etc. Every morning was a powerful smoothie that I swear made all the difference in the world, tons of hemp seeds and oil! All that fatty acid builds baby brain, builds cells, keeps mom in a great mood and high functioning brain too. Keep up those good fats now and all through nursing, mama's skin will thank you too, I got Zero stretch marks!
Best of luck, blessed birth smiling smiley.

Posted by: Duke ()
Date: March 03, 2012 06:14PM

Wheatgrass, and coconut water and watermelons are good for blood.

Date: March 04, 2012 01:39AM

Nice to meet you Raw Lion, looking healthy matey. Zero strech marks Coco, wow, that's amazing. Can you be more specific about the contents of that smoothy Coco please? You know, what brand of oil, and how much etc.

Thx, geo x

Date: March 04, 2012 02:56AM

Will send you a PM my friend.
Now I'm curious!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 04, 2012 09:50AM

Stretch marks has more relation to nutrients that are involved in collagen synthesis and skin elasticity such as silica, zinc, vitamin C.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: March 04, 2012 02:14PM

I think the first time round I actually took silica. I Know I got a lot of Vit C! One thing that interferes with collagen is fluoride so, while you do have to take very good care of your teeth when pregnant, using a natural fluoride free tooth care product and drinking non-fluoridated water is a good idea.

My mother had 3 babies with no stretch marks so I'm genetically lucky as well.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 04, 2012 07:12PM

Looking great, RAWLION!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables