Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blending vs Juicing
Posted by: Duke ()
Date: March 02, 2012 10:25AM

Which is better?
According to Dr. Brian Clement, blending doesnt even come close to juicing. In other words juicing is much better. Check the below 1.5 min vid. What are your thoughts?

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blending vs Juicing
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 02, 2012 10:29AM

Blending for me, comes with fiber thus doesn't mess with blood sugar and cause insulin spikes in the way juice does. If adding a little fiber back in to the juice then both.

[www.vegankingdomc.o.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 02, 2012 02:11PM

Blending. I don't have time to chew pounds and pounds of salad every day, I have a busy life but I still want to eat a lot of greens.
Juice is for when there is a specific illness to address, it doesn't replace eating. I would also juice instead of taking supplements if something was missing in my diet. But I find it expensive and somewhat wasteful to discard all that fiber when it could be benefiting the body instead.
Wheatgrass is different, of course that needs to be juiced. And I do like it (not the taste, blech) but you're only having an ounce or two, not glasses and glasses of the stuff.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 02, 2012 07:18PM

I just think the benefit of fiber is exagerated. There is plenty of fiber in fruits. For most, blended greens remain indigestible, drink green juices and eat fruits, very simple, and clean.
Fruit was supposed to be our main diet, green juices add an extra benefits because most have health issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 07:26PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: March 02, 2012 09:07PM

I've yet to see one single scientific study that shows greens being indigestible. That's quite the statement to make. Or that fruit is what's meant to be our primary diet. Fruit is mostly vitamins, those aren't difficult to get no matter the diet. What's important are minerals, the thing that greens happen to be dense with. You are welcome to eat whatever you like but to hand out that sort of advice as though it's fact is a bit over the line.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 02, 2012 10:22PM

do both, jeez.....
juicing is a good way to "catch up". while blending can give you lots of nutrients while also enabling you to make a substance that is thick enough to make your stomach feel full for a while in a different way than juice. There is no debate here. just different realities. its like debating cars vs. trucks. They both have very relevant uses.

Date: March 02, 2012 11:20PM

Very few will salivate at eating a bowl of kale or turnip, they are not appealing, you have to prepare them and add some black pepper to help with digestion, or blend them with fruits. So unnatural.
Eat fruits and drink juice. Simple.

Date: March 02, 2012 11:24PM

Yes, we had this conversation before and at that time several people chimed in to state that they do in fact eat and enjoy many veggies on their own and have no issue digesting them.
Using a machines for extracting the juice of produce, while beneficial in it's way, is not exactly "natural" either. That's neither here nor there.

Yes RAWLION, I agree, use them both as you see fit. Both are relevant in their own way.

Date: March 03, 2012 01:18AM

Duke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which is better?
> According to Dr. Brian Clement, blending doesnt
> even come close to juicing. In other words juicing
> is much better. Check the below 1.5 min vid. What
> are your thoughts?
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Clement got it right, juicing is superior.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 03, 2012 03:32AM

There is no scientific basis for the idea that "juicing is superior;" blending and juicing each have their respective places in healing and diet.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: March 03, 2012 04:27AM

When you blend you add water, when you blend you oxidize, when you blend you heat, when you blend you most likely don't chew as much. If you do chew as much then the idea that it's quicker is not even valid, so you might as well just eat it. Don't kid yourself thinking there is no science behind this because it was just explained to you. It's not rocket science it's common sense combined with fact. Undigested food is undesirable when challenged with life threatining disease. So blend away, just don't tell really sick people that blending is somehow as good as chewing your food or juicing. As some have stated juicing is really a whole different animal and should not be compared. When Brian Clement states something you have to take it in context. They don't waste any energy at HHI with ANYTHING that has not been proven or just goes against simple facts like I stated above about blending. If we are healthy have busy lives and enjoy it then we blend. I'll be the first one to admit I love to use the blender also. Not meant to offend just thought the facts should be pointed out.

Date: March 03, 2012 11:41AM

Doesn't Brian Clement promote Klamath Lake Algae though rzman?

If im mistaken forgive me, but that algae is proven to contain toxic microcystins that damage the liver and nervous system. Off topic anyway

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: March 03, 2012 01:31PM

When you juice you oxidize, you heat, you most likely don't chew at all.
One of my kids inhales his food, I'm pretty sure the smoothie I give him for breakfast is better digested than anything he "chews" lol.

Date: March 03, 2012 03:22PM

rzman,

I beg your pardon, but Brian Clement has promoted and then not promoted a variety of things in my life. I think he does amazing things at Hippocrates, especially with the deathly ill, but his information isn't absolute. Unless one believes that only HHI cures people, then one must consider the validity of other ways of doing things. I respect Brian Clement, but he is not my last word on anything. I juice what juices and blend what blends. And, like coco, I assume there is more chewing going on with blended drinks than with juices. If that's the object, I mean.

I do hope this thread doesn't turn into another cult-of-personality one like an 80/10/10 thread . . . .

Date: March 03, 2012 03:58PM

Oxidation is the big catch word for everybody! One thing most people miss is the fact that juice AND smoothie is chock full of anti-oxidants. I've heard B.S. stating that if I make a smoothie then 90% of the nutrients are destroyed before I drink it. RUBBISH! The massive amount of anti-oxidants would surely prevent that high of a breakdown that quickly. I have drunk green smoothie 3 days later that couldn't have lost more than 25% of its nutrient in my opinion. Yes, juice and smoothie are promoting of oxidation. So are breathing and exercise........

Date: March 03, 2012 04:00PM

Fiber can be gained elsewhere sure, the problem is the rapid absorption of the sugars because of the lack of fiber which can cause blood sugar problems and dangerous insulin spikes. Not only that but studies have shown that sugar sources i.e fructose void of fiber is a factor in the development of fatty liver disease.

Juice is a great source of nutrients but i stick a little pulp back in to slow down the absorption of sugars. Unless its something such as a wheatgrass which is such a small amount it would be of no issue.

A common complaint during juice fasting is headaches which often get panned off as detox when in fact it is issues with blood sugar and sometimes even hypoglycemia.

As for the nutrient loss, there is absolutely no way in my opinion 90% of nutrients are lost that quickly just via blending.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 04:03PM by powerlifer.

Date: March 04, 2012 02:20AM

I agree that both have their place in the kitchen. I juice more than blend, though I've only got a standard blender (sunbeam). I've been told that if I bought a really good one, like a vitamix or a blendtec, then I'd soon be blending a lot more. I do like smoothies to be smooth, but my sunbeam doesn't do a great job of it.

Date: March 04, 2012 07:59PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> Doesn't Brian Clement promote Klamath Lake Algae
> though rzman?
>
> If im mistaken forgive me, but that algae is
> proven to contain toxic microcystins that damage
> the liver and nervous system. Off topic anyway
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

I'm sure once and a while there is bad things in most foodsutff. I don't know that this relates to anything I said though. I based my post on studies that have been done that Brian quoted. I would love to see the info on toxins in the E-3 though I have not been in the loop for a while. I thought I did hear that one person got sick from it!

Again I am not against blending, especially with a nice big fruit smoothie! um um.

Date: March 04, 2012 08:07PM

coco Wrote:
> When you juice you oxidize, you heat, you most
> likely don't chew at all.
> One of my kids inhales his food, I'm pretty sure
> the smoothie I give him for breakfast is better
> digested than anything he "chews" lol.

I never said "you most likely don't chew at all"

I am glad to hear you are getting good food into the kids!

Date: March 04, 2012 08:18PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> rzman,
>
> I beg your pardon, but Brian Clement has promoted
> and then not promoted a variety of things in my
> life. I think he does amazing things at
> Hippocrates, especially with the deathly ill, but
> his information isn't absolute. Unless one
> believes that only HHI cures people, then one must
> consider the validity of other ways of doing
> things. I respect Brian Clement, but he is not my

> last word on anything. I juice what juices and
> blend what blends. And, like coco, I assume there
> is more chewing going on with blended drinks than
> with juices. If that's the object, I mean.
>
> I do hope this thread doesn't turn into another
> cult-of-personality one like an 80/10/10 thread .
> . . .

Not to be argumentive but my post was in no way based soley on what Brian Clement has said and he would be the first person to admit he is not perfect and is always evolving the HHI therapy. There was also no mention of him Promoting anything in my post. And I did not start this Thread, just commenting on some of the small drawbacks of blending contrary to what people believe. Personally I like to chew my food and find it annoying chewing a smoothie lol, but that's just me.

Date: March 05, 2012 04:08AM

Blending is fun, and we need fun as much as we need to take care of our health. Juice though is definitely superior.

I am not talking about juicing fruits with lots of sugar of course. But yeah fun is also good for health so i see no problems with enjoying some blended smoothies every now and then.

Date: March 05, 2012 05:49PM

I would like to know HONESTLY! how many people chew their smoothies? I am definately prone to only chewing a little bit if it needs it.

Date: March 06, 2012 01:06AM

I chew it to activate the digestive enzymes; not as with solid food.

Date: March 06, 2012 01:26AM

Just like water, smoothies cannot be chewed effectively, it will escape.

Date: March 06, 2012 02:55AM

How many enzymes can you activate by chewing? A couple maybe right? I know starches / carbs start digesting when you chew them, what else.

Posted by: drker ()
Date: March 06, 2012 10:27AM

First of all I am not an authority on Nutrition
I have been Vita mixing my breakfast for 3 weeks now. All veggies.
Someone said that I was lazy for not eating it. I personally already did the legwork and the prep work on the greens and in the summer I will be doing the garden end. I really beleive in ingesting all those nutrient first thing in the morning. Also I think that I may not see the phsyical results right away but after keeping a diet like this the benefits will have the same results that juicing does.
Juicing is a quick cleanse method.

Date: March 06, 2012 02:10PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Just like water, smoothies cannot be chewed
> effectively, it will escape.

That's very silly, all that's needed is for the food to be adequately mixed with saliva in the mouth to begin the digestive process. "Chewing" is not neccessary, swishing is more than sufficient. It should be done with juice as well.

Date: March 06, 2012 03:20PM

coco is right--I swish a lot when I'm chewing. It really isn't like masticating solid matter. What I mean to stress is that I don't bolt the blended stuff down just because it's a liquid. That's a great way to get bloated!

Date: March 06, 2012 03:53PM

yes, the chewing is activating spit,which carries our sugar based digestive enzymes. Our bodies produce our sugar digesting enzymes in the mouth. Protein digestive enzymes are released in the stomach and fat digesting enzymes are released in the intestines. SO, I originally heard it from the JUICEMAN that we should all "chew" our juice. same goes for smoothie, as this is our only opportunity to get lots of enzyme mixed into the sugars we ingest.
basically we should "chew" everything that goes down the gullet, INCLUDING juice and smoothie! leaving that mouthful of smoothie in my mouth for an extra 2 seconds makes lots of spit come out quickly, and thats loaded with enzymes!

Date: March 06, 2012 04:06PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> coco is right--I swish a lot when I'm chewing. It
> really isn't like masticating solid matter. What
> I mean to stress is that I don't bolt the blended
> stuff down just because it's a liquid. That's a
> great way to get bloated!

Do you really enjoy chewing your juice? I yet have to try that one.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables