Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Blending vs Juicing
Posted by: Molli ()
Date: March 06, 2012 10:00PM

I'm far from an expert here. I juice greens and add a lemon and apple -- that is my first meal of the day. Sometimes I juice another green drink in mid-afternoon. I don't understand why someone would blend fruits -- I eat fruits in their natural state.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 06, 2012 11:47PM

Duke,

Eh, it doesn't bother me.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 08, 2012 08:41AM

I don't really know why we are debating about this. They both have benefits, so what's the problem? Or is this thread just about debating for the sake of debating?

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 08, 2012 02:51PM

Good point geo but we humans are perfectionist, we want to knoq the whys of things, it is in our DNA. I want to know why I feel light on juices and heavy on smoothies

Date: March 10, 2012 06:37AM

Hmmm prob cause more energy is used to digest smoothies than juice, maybe....

Posted by: Duke ()
Date: March 10, 2012 09:29AM

If blending can alter / affect the protein quality of the raw eggs then you can rest assured that the quality of the micro-nutrients will also be hit to a certain extent.

So it's okay to experiment with blending and have fun every once in a while, but if you were a perfectionist, juicing serves you better from a health standpoint.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 14, 2012 09:45PM

The good thing is that fruits do not need to be juiced.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:46AM

It may be that juicing has a higher concentration of some nutrients (fiber is an essential nutrient that will be missing though), the cost of juicing vs blending is much higher, as much of the pulp is discarded and not consumed. I suppose the pulp can go into the compost and make you garden richer, but I would rather eat the whole food or at least blend the food to not waste any of the nutrition.

My champion juicer nowadays is mostly used to juice frozen bananas with the blank plate to make frozen banana ice cream in the summer months. On the other hand, I use my blender multiple times a day.

Date: March 15, 2012 01:12AM

Eating the whole food results in the best compost going ~ Humanure!

Date: March 15, 2012 06:11AM

Low speed blending is good but in high speed blending we are actually beating the food to death, you may need to add some ice.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 15, 2012 12:57PM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My champion juicer nowadays is mostly used to
> juice frozen bananas with the blank plate to make
> frozen banana ice cream in the summer months. On
> the other hand, I use my blender multiple times a
> day.

Is this worth buying a champion juicer for Prana ?. I love the look of the frozen banana almost soft serve ice cream ive seen from the videos. Does the taste match how good it looks?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: March 15, 2012 01:31PM

Pwerlifer, a juicer like the Omega is a better bet IMO, it makes frozen banana ice creme (I've used all sorts of different frozen fruit and they all turn out amazingly like sort serve) and it juices fruit and greens very well. I don't think the Champion will do everything an Omega does. John has great comparision charts and videos on his discountjuicer site if you want to see how each machine performs.

Date: March 15, 2012 02:14PM

Im going to have to check into this thanks cocosmiling smiley, i already have a few juicers but none capable of doing such an ice cream i don't think due to having no blank plate.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: March 15, 2012 07:17PM

I have tried those frozen ice cream made from banana in champion juicers in the past, the problem I found was that you have to eat them while still frozen because it is just the banana and the freezing going thru the juicer that gives the feeling of ice cream because the usual ingredients that come with regular ice cream are not present, such as milk, egg yolks, vanilla extract, but because it must remain very frozen it is not good for the body.
The lesson I learned is to just eat my banana or just buy a regular organic ice cream at the health food store (such as rice dream)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 07:21PM by madinah.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 15, 2012 08:06PM

I agree with coco that there are better juicers than a champion. But sometimes you can find a used champion (or other juicer) at a garage sale for a low price. I really like the banana ice cream, its reminds me of really dairy-based soft serve ice cream.

madinah, what is the difference of eating frozen banana soft serve versus rice dream? Aren't they going to both be very cold, perhaps even the same temperature?

Date: March 15, 2012 09:13PM

Yes, that's just what I thought. Frozen is frozen after all. I'd rather have frozen fruit than frozen sugary rice dream (rice milk is quite high in arsenic, I wouldn't make a meal of that stuff).

Date: March 16, 2012 12:49AM

You said 'humanure' coco, you just crack me up sometimes lol.

Re the frozen ice cream, why not just use your blender? My 'sunbeam' makes short work of ice to make a pretty thick frozen banana smoothy. I don't think it's thick enough to call it ice cream, so maybe it would be too hard on a blender, what do you think, has anyone tried to use a blender to make ice cream???

What I haven't tried, is to freeze banana, or other fruit pieces the size of ice block squares, and then blend them. Now that would reduce the water content and concentrate the banana factor. Maybe add frozen mango or apricot pieces too. The combinations are endless. Furthermore, you don't have to use your best blender either, as any op shop usually has old blenders for sale that you can trash.

Date: March 16, 2012 12:58AM

You got a point coco an Prana. I like my ice cream a bit unfrozen and the banana when you leave for a few minutes become very watery, slippery. I need a recipe may be I will add some soaked cashew with the frozen banana in the juicer.

Date: March 16, 2012 02:28AM

Geo, I can feed any frozen fruit into the Omega and a soft serve ice creme comes out. Last summer we just put everything in the freezer and tried it all. I didn't think anything would come out with the perfect texture of the banana since it's rather creamy already but I was wrong, it all turned out great! Cherries, pears, peaches, pineapple, apple even. Worked awesome.

Madinah, my son likes this very texture you describe. He uses a spoon to vigorously stir the banana ice creme around in the bowl until it has softened up. Still very frozen, not really thawing at all, just a softer texture attained by mixing it by hand. Try it sometime and see how you like it.

Date: March 16, 2012 04:59AM

You know, IMO I reckon that raw vegan food is the most delish and varied/diversified food on the planet. Since we remove much in the way of fat, sugar, salt and flesh, we experiment with all and every fruit/veg mono and combo by using different methods until we come up with dreamy delicious delicacies.

Living buy myself and being a guy, I lack the drive to create such delicacies. I've a few favorites that I have created, and I generally only stick to those and I'm satisfied. However, sometimes I read on here of a different smoothy or veg combo that I try to duplicate, and they usually turn out just fine with very little tweaking. I'm continually amazed that, after our taste buds and the years of food conditioning has reverted back to their natural state, at how so delicious the natural flavours can be.

Date: October 29, 2012 09:22PM

Duke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which is better?
> According to Dr. Brian Clement, blending doesnt
> even come close to juicing. In other words juicing
> is much better. Check the below 1.5 min vid. What
> are your thoughts?
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Juicing wins

Date: October 30, 2012 09:32PM

I prefer smoothies these days and in particular green smoothies. Green smoothies are amazing, no better natural energy booster. But ill have the odd green juice now and again, especially if i have alot of produce that is due to go off date.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 09:33PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 31, 2012 08:52PM

Like everything else if you overdue the green smoothies there is a possibilty of oxalate poisoning. [www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com]

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: November 01, 2012 11:15PM

Smoothies are good for your mind, juices are good for the body, laughs. Woah hope somebody got that.

Date: November 02, 2012 06:42PM

Does it has to be either or. I have some juices and some smoothies every day almost.
Life is good

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables