Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A Brix moment.
Posted by: BJ ()
Date: March 04, 2012 09:29PM

I recently bought a punnet of blueberries.They were sour as, and terrible.
There was a website on the packet so I went there and read that it was an organic farm in New Zealand. I sent them an email telling them their blueberries were sour and perhaps their soil was depleted, or the weather wasn't warm enough.

The reply I received was that they Brix test the blueberries, and it depended on the weather.
There was a recent thread here about Brix testing, but maybe they just pick them too early before they ripen, but wouldn't this show up on testing? Maybe they should actually taste the fruit first, then they would realise it's sour.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Brix moment.
Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 04, 2012 10:04PM

Maybe they're sour because they haven't been bred to be as sugary as cotton-candy like the typical grocery fruit? Can you throw them in a smoothie?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 04, 2012 10:14PM

I love tart blueberries nearly as much as the sweet ones, yum! They do sound a little underripe though, I don't think they ripen once picked either. Shame that. Maybe eat them in season when you can get them locally instead?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 04, 2012 11:35PM

I only buy berries from local producers in season, for this very reason--it's a waste of money to chance on things like this sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables