Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hypoglycemic Help?
Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: March 15, 2012 08:11PM

So..I just heard my cousin was diagnosed with hypoglycemia and bipolar. Its no shock to me at all as she has grown up on junk food and loads of sweets, and has been battling drug addiction. I feel getting her diet in control and getting control of the hypoglycemia will relieve much of the *bipolar* symptoms....especially after lots of detox/cleansing.

Ive been reading up on hypoglycemia diets and wanted to hear if anyone here has any experience with it. My cousin isnt vegetarian and certainly isnt a raw foodist, but my aunt is added more raw things to my families diet and asked for my help.

My first thought was that she should eat things with slow burning sugars.....have lots of greens, low glycemic veggies. I feel that green smoothies (even with the fruit in them is fine if there are lots of greens to balance it, with the addition of chia or psyllium husk to help that as well.

Increased protein (ideally hemp)

More water, loss caffeine, less alcohol etc (I say less because I know she wont give those things up all together, so harm reduction is the best we can hope for at the current time)

Not eating super late, getting adequate sleep, etc....

Green juice, often with dandelion root (and other good greens)

Sasparilla root (in pill or tincture)

juniper with hawthorn

maybe nopales (you can get it from healthforce naturals in a powder)

What do you folks have to add?

My aunt wanted to give her orange juice, but I told her that will just spike her sugar then it will react and overload and drop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hypoglycemic Help?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 15, 2012 09:11PM

Somebody just told me yesterday about grains being linked to mental illness (chemical imbalance in the brain). Was it only wheat or gluten, I can't quite recall. That's a good thing for everybody to cut out of the diet anyhow.
Gabriel Cousins has a book called Depression Free For Life that addresses bipolar.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 16, 2012 01:12PM

veganreikiangel,

Sound like a good program. Agree with coco about grains--they act as opiates on receptors in the brain in many individuals, which can manifest as bipolar disorder. I'd focus on food rather than supplements at the start, however--a supplement program for someone not in a clinic or used to taking them could overwhelm them.

I became mildly hypoglycemic about ten years ago, when I was working in the culinary field and going to school, requiring me to skip meals daily, while moving around a lot. My doctor advised me to consume protein but also carb-rich shakes, sipping them while at work, to stabilize my blood sugar. These corrected the hypoglycemia almost immediately. Good luck to you and your cousin.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 16, 2012 02:08PM

There are different types and causes of hypoglycemia. Acute hypoglycemia i.e feeling tired, lowered blood sugar straight after meals is treated differently than say chronic hypoglycemia which is partially a result of dysfunctional adrenal glands.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: March 22, 2012 03:29PM

Will have to agree with Powerlifer, I would look to the adrenal glands, especially if she is bipolar as well. So any herbs for the adrenals will be good, except you should avoid licorice in the case of high blood pressure. Other than that, a low fat fruit and vegetable based diet should help stabelize the blood sugars.

Date: March 22, 2012 03:55PM

I would avoid korean ginseng also and any of the minorly stimulative adaptogen herbs such as american ginseng and rhodiola rosea. Although i would find a good doctor before using any herb especially with the combination of hypoglycemia and bi-polar.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: PrettyLights ()
Date: April 12, 2012 01:13AM

I've been hypoglycemic since I was a child and have a basic diet that works well for me. I generally just eat healthy and eat something every 3-4 hours to keep my blood sugar level even. If I go 4 hours or more without eating I can feel my blood sugar dropping. I eat small meals and eat often. Like her, I am not a vegetarian or a vegan so these tips might work well for her.

1. I do not drink soda, even diet, and keep caffeine to a minimum. I like fruit juice but it has tons of sugar, so I buy the Healthy Balance brand and drink no more than 8 oz. at a time. If I am drinking something like orange juice I keep it at a few drinks. I drink a lot of water every day and unsweetened tea.

2. I stay away from white rice, white flour, pretty much any processed carbs. I buy whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, brown rice, and wheat crackers. Processed carbs give me a blood sugar spike that I can feel about 20 minutes after I consume.

3. I generally avoid sugar (desserts) except in small doses and right before or right after a meal. 1-3 small cookies is a lot of sugar for me. If I eat a candy bar, it's just a few bites. Eating a whole one makes me feel terrible.

4. I always keep snacks on hand in case I have a blood sugar drop. These can happen quickly and give me immediate dizziness, mood swings, an 'elevator feeling' in my stomach, and trouble concentrating. Good snacks are raw nuts like almonds, natural cheese and whole wheat crackers, low sugar granola bars, trail mix, a bowl of low sugar cereal like cheerios, fruit like an apple or banana, boiled eggs, raw vegetables, ect.

5. I eat healthy protein with lunch and dinner. A great lunch for a hypoglycemic is a healthy sandwich with vegetables on it and some fruit. I use whole grain bread, not-processed lunch meat from a local meat market like turkey, roast beef, or ham, a bit of cheese, and lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, red onions - pretty much any veggies I have on hand. A veggie burger is also a good lunch, or homemade soup. I often eat a lean chicken breast for dinner with a side of vegetables and brown rice. Fish is a great alternative to chicken.

6. I do still drink, but in moderation. A few glasses of wine or gin and sugar free tonic are my two drinks of choice and they don't mess with my blood sugar too much. If I do drink I make sure I eat something during or afterwards to get my blood sugar back to normal and drink a few glasses of water.

7. If she has insomnia or trouble falling asleep eating a snack 20-45 minutes before bed should help. I've battled that problem for years and finally starting having a small snack before bed and it has done wonders.

I hope some of this advice will work out for your cousin. Regulating her blood sugar will hopefully help with mood swings she might be having. When I am having a low blood sugar episode I am an entirely different person. I become very moody, lethargic, nauseous, tired but can't sleep, will snap at anyone for anything, have trouble even responding to a questions or having a normal conversation, will feel depressed, and if it gets low enough I have more severe physical symptoms like vomiting and passing out.

This is a great website with nutrition information for hypoglycemics:

[nutritionmel.com]

Best of luck to your cousin! Since I've lived with it my whole life I am used to what I need to do to control my blood sugar, but being a full grown adult and having to change your eating habits must be hard. I hope she adjusts well and embraces the most likely healthier lifestyle.

Posted by: PrettyLights ()
Date: April 12, 2012 01:48AM

Just a few more things I thought of:

I am about to start making myself green smoothies for a meal like breakfast or as a snack, which is how I stumbled on this site. I am also thinking about trying protein shakes.

I take a multivitamin, an iron pill, and B complex daily. I take the iron pill and B complex (to help the iron absorb) because I give plasma and my iron levels are low if I don't, but B vitamins are very good for regulating blood sugar. Magnesium and chromium are also good for regulating blood sugar. Cinnamon can also help.

The most important advice I can give her is to eat often - every 2-4 hours - and eat the least amount of processed sugar as possible. She might even want to cut out all sugar, even natural, to start with and add it slowly to see how her body handles it. Carbs like white bread, pasta, white rice, ect. always give me a spike so she probably wants to avoid that and go the whole grain route if she wants to keep eating carbs.

Date: April 12, 2012 02:04AM

Prettylights, this is a raw vegan site so please don't recommend dairy, meat, eggs, crackers, alcohol, etc.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 12, 2012 10:03AM

yeah, Prettylights forgot about the scrapple and bacon winking smiley

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: April 12, 2012 02:01PM

Symptoms that are associated with Hypoglycemia have nothing to do with Low Blood Sugar (see the article in the PS below written by Dr. Vetrano) and are usually Withdrawal Symptoms from the Toxins in Meat because the Liver is compromised (see the quotes in the PPS below by Dr. Fuhrman). I’ve also added an old post from this forum for encouragement (see the PPPS below).

Peace and Love………John

PS Here is that article by Dr. Vetrano…

HYPOGLYCEMIA-NEW NAME FOR OLD SYMPTOMS
by Virginia Vetrano, D.C. [& M.D.]

Miss A. N. looked at me with wide, frightened eyes, her nostrils flaring like a racing horse's, while she told me the following story. "I'm hypoglycemic," she explained. 'I could go into a coma any minute, if I don't get food every three hours. You must understand that I would be in grave danger of death if I ever fasted. In the middle of the night I might go into a coma and no one would know it, and I’d be dead by morning. I've nearly gone into a coma three times already." Then she told me all her symptoms, which ranged all the way from headaches to sore toes, most of them having nothing to do with hypoglycemia.
This woman's fear had turned into a terror that haunted her like some evil thing. It permeated her whole being, warping all her thoughts, until she could -no longer think rationally. I said to myself, "It can't be true that she is always on the brink of disaster if she doesn't eat."
Somebody had been telling her ghost stories. Hygienic practitioners have been fasting people with these same symptoms for years, and no one ever went into a hypoglycemic coma. In all likelihood, the added factor that is changing the picture are the ghost stories told by the physicians. Extrapolating from the Hypoglycemia produced by an overdose of insulin, these physicians assume that the severe states of true low blood sugar not brought on by insulin will produce exactly the same symptoms of poisoning and coma that an overdose of insulin does. Hence the fear implanted in the minds of these sufferers adds to their problem, and makes them more nervous and more hypoglycemic than ever and is indeed a criminal act. Hypoglycemia is just a new clinical finding magnified and enlarged into a new disease, for the same neuropsychiatric symptoms brought on by toxemia and enervation that have existed many years prior to the discovery of low blood sugar.
Numerous cases have fasted at the Health School without going into a coma. Why should they be so subject to comas today? Nothing has changed, merely because by means of clinical diagnosis we have become aware of the fact that many nervous individuals have low blood sugar. I told Miss A. N. to relax and I put her to bed. Because of her extreme fear, I did not fast her immediately. I fed her the regular Hygienic diet, omitting only the sweetest of fruits. Voluntarily, she stopped taking her drugs. The diet itself was a big change for her, as she had been eating every three hours on the dot for over a year. We fed her only three times a day, and she suffered no ill effects from this radical change in diet. This encouraged her and she agreed to take a short fast. She fasted for three days but was too fearful to fast longer, and I didn't push her because her fear would not permit relaxation and she kept herself awake at night so as not to go into a coma. She couldn't believe that she wouldn't go into a coma in her sleep. She stayed at the Health School only a few more days and left, having not achieved the weight loss she desired. Despite the fact that she had fasted three days without untoward symptoms, and without having any of the prodromal symptoms of coma her fear was so great that she was sure if she fasted one more day, she would die. “It's just a matter of time,” she assured me. So completely had the physicians' ghost stories taken hold of her being, she left unconvinced that she could get well. She was a wealthy woman. "I've been under the care of the best physicians in the world. They deal with hypoglycemia all the time. They know what they are talking about" she exclaimed.
At that exclamation, I wondered how she ever condescended to enter the Health School in the first place. Had she not gained so much weight the past year, on the six meals a day plan, she probably would not have sought a place to reduce. Ghost stories that physicians tell their patients have them so terrorized that they do not dare do a thing towards recovery of health without the okay from their physicians. Seeing is supposed to be believing, yet some of these people are so mesmerized that even seeing does not convince them. They may never learn, but if they do, too much pathology may have evolved, and it may be too late to regain full health, even with Natural Hygiene as an ally. Every age has its bugbears and fads in medicine. In this modern melodrama, Hypoglycemia is the mustached villains surreptitiously sneaking around, slipping in and catching unwary victims.
This villain has three names; hyperinsulinism, hypoglycemia and hypoglycosis. Hyperinsulinism implies an overproduction of insulin or an excessive action of insulin. This comes about by the administration of more insulin than required by a diabetic, or because the pancreas is producing more insulin than required. Hyperinsulinism causes a state of low blood sugar or hypoglycemia. But one can have hypoglycemia without having hyperinsulinism. The picture is very complicated. The villain seems to delight in mystery. One can be tested, and have a truly low blood sugar and yet not manifest symptoms at all. It seems that hypoglycemia is normal for some individuals. Another thing which staggers the modern scientific audience, is that many people have symptoms identical with those associated with hypoglycemia yet they show no abnormal depression of the blood sugar level. In fact, these same symptoms have been strong, when the blood sugar level was high. Therefore the term hypoglycemia is not supposed to be used to indicate any pathologic condition or clinical picture. Stated succinctly hypoglycemia is only a lab report. Symptoms may or may not accompany low blood sugar, and the symptoms may exist with normal blood sugar levels. This is a strikingly familiar picture, with hypoglycemia as the etiological agent instead of a malignant germ or virus. The fact is, that hypoglycemia is not a cause, it is a state of the body and tissues, brought on by enervation and toxemia as are all other diseases.
Hypoglycosis is the term that Frank N. Allan, M.D. prefers to use for the clinical symptoms that result from, "abnormal decrease in the sugar content of the blood or body tissues." Because there are so many people with hypoglycemia and no symptoms, the term hypoglycosis is used to designate those people in which symptoms accompany the low blood sugar. Allan has the idea that symptoms relieved by the ingestion of sugar are truly due to hypoglycemia. This is not always true as many symptoms not related to hypoglycemia at all can be relieved by eating.
Allan classifies the clinical picture, as hypoglycosis when the symptoms are relieved by sugar ingestion regardless of the blood sugar level. A -diagnosis of hyperinsulinism, which is usually due to benign or malignant beta cell tumors or hyperplasia of the Isles of Langerhans, cannot be made with certainty without surgical examination of the pancreas or necropsy. It is a damaging procedure to section the living pancreas at various areas in an effort to find a tumor and this type of surgery can almost destroy the pancreas as a functioning organ.
Mild hypoglycemia supposedly causes faintness, nervousness, palpitation, excessive perspiration, and headache, whereas a severe hypoglycemia is supposed to cause mental ion, loss of consciousness, convulsions, and other neuropsychiatric manifestations. It was the use of insulin that first brought these symptoms to light, when by accident an overdose of insulin was administered. It must be remembered that these symptoms are due to drugging. Seldom does anyone have all of the above symptoms and most of the time only one or two of the symptoms are in evidence. It must also be remembered that in this disease like any other disease the whole organism is ill and not just the pancreas. There is impaired function in many organs besides the pancreas and normal function must be' restored instead of palliating symptoms with tranquilizers and food.
Many symptoms of other troubles besides hypoglycemia abate when one eats, yet, this is the criterion by which physicians diagnose hypoglycemia. In the Cyclopedia of Medicine, Vol. VI, page 908, Allan states: "The variability and diversity of the symptoms make the clinical picture appear complex but recognition of the disorder is simplified by a common characteristic which deserves emphasis-the symptoms tend to occur when the stomach is empty and subside after eating, particularly when food and drink rich in sugar is consumed." For proof that the symptoms are due to hypoglycemia, "it must actually be demonstrated that the sugar is low when the symptoms are present and that they subside when the blood sugar rises." Glucose tolerance tests are not accurate and cannot be depended upon. "Coin found that the type of curve could be completely changed by varying the type of feeding given beforehand."
Contrary to popular opinion hyperinsulinism is very rare. At the close of 1942 only twenty ­four cases due to islet cell tumors were on record, and the total number of cases up to 1946 was under 200. It is thought that hypoglycemia without proven evidence of pancreatic pathology represents purely functional troubles.
Textbooks of medicine still usually state that it is abnormal for the blood sugar to be below 80 mg. per 100 cc., and is certainly abnormal when below 70 mg. per 100 cc. However, in 1928, 22,808 individuals were studied by John proving that symptoms did not necessarily accompany states of low blood sugar. "In an analysis of 22,808 blood sugar determinations made in no diabetic cases, he found the figure eighty or less in over fifteen per cent and seventy or less in approximately four per cent. Eleven readings were forty or under, the lowest was thirty. These low values were apparently normal for the individual; there were no complaints in the cases especially investigated. These observations were confirmed later by Hart and Lisa . . ."
"Rector and Jennings found that hypoglycemia without symptoms was even commoner in children. Among 572 children under twelve years admitted to hospitals for conditions unrelated to hypoglycemia, the blood sugar was from sixty-nine down to fifty in forty-three cases. An incidence of symptom less hypoglycemia of 7.5 per cent. Miller and Ross found that the blood sugar of newborn infants in the first forty eight hours of life was frequently below forty without symptoms. Tests made in the case of infants of diabetic mothers averaged lower but Miller and Ross concluded that the blood sugar does not seem important, in relation to symptoms."
The hypoglycemia occasioned by an overdose of insulin is dangerous, especially if repeated many times. Although a considerable overdose is usually not fatal, and the patient will usually come out of a coma without treatment, necropsy has disclosed many small scattered brain hemorrhages with death of nerve cells in those who have had insulin shock treatments. In itself a large dose of insulin is highly toxic, and has been to "cause death in spite of treatment," or any sugar administration or any elevation of blood sugar (Allan, Fazekas). Many diabetic specialists stress the dangers of repeated hypoglycemic reactions.
This more strongly emphasizes that drugs, such as insulin and other drugs which damage vital organs, play an ever-increasing role in producing the symptoms of hypoglycosis, and that one must care for the tout ensemble and not one organ at a time. The preservatives, coloring agents, and the various food additives in general, have damaging effects on various parts of the body. The pancreas takes part in the general deterioration that inevitably occurs from' constant bombardment of toxic substances from the outside.
Alloxan is an organic compound first synthesized by ' Wohler and Liebig in 1838. It was discovered that by the injection of Alloxan a profound hypoglycemia will be produced in laboratory animals which is sometimes accompanied by convulsions and other symptoms. Perhaps many other modern drugs do the same. These symptoms can be relieved by administration of glucose. "In 1943, Dunn, Sheehan, and Mc-Letchie independently confirmed Jacob's findings and extended them to show that a single injection of Alloxan may cause complete necrosis of the islet cells of the pancreas. When death due to hypoglycemia is prevented by the administration of glucose, the animal passes into a stage of hyperglycemia which closely resembles diabetes."
Because Alloxan selectively destroys the islet cells it has been used in the treatment of hyperinsulinism. On one occasion good results were reported for several months, but this treatment would seem to make medical sense only if the case were true hyperinsulinism (due to tumors or hyperplasia), and still there is the possibility of producing diabetes. Most cases of hypoglycosis are not hyperinsulinism at all, but organic functional troubles arising out of enervation and toxemia. Frank Allan, M.D. severely criticizes treatment with Alloxan by saying, "The patient who had metastatic islet tumor was partially relieved, but the benefit was only temporary. Furthermore severe toxic reactions occurred. In a case treated with Oman by another physician death is known to have followed. In view of the danger and uncertainty concerned with the use of Alloxan it should not be employed except as a last resort. Surgical exploration of the pancreas should certainly be undertaken first in the hope of discovery and removal of a tumor which may be malignant or potentially malignant."
Like most other diseases the medical profession has only harmful or palliative treatments. Allan starter, "To relieve the symptoms by eating sugar or other food at the time they are present is the obvious palliative treatment." Another physician, Frederick Allen also reveals that diet is only a temporary measure in the following words: "The best palliative treatment is probably a moderate mixed diet, divided into lunches at short enough intervals to prevent attacks, but with avoidance of high carbohydrate at any time which would stimulate discharge of insulin. The severest cases are not thus controlled. Also Alloxan or other chemotherapy has failed. The cure consists in finding and removing any discoverable tumor, or, in doubtful cases, respecting the greater part of the pancreas."
What a dismal outlook for hypoglycemic patients under medical carol. All that is offered is a suppression of symptoms by diet, or mutilation of the pancreas by surgery, or destruction of this vital gland with Alloxan.
Physicians must be at their wits' end. They have even gone so far as to administer insulin in states of hypoglycosis. With small amounts of insulin in the blood stream, it was thought that this would prevent an excess of insulin from being secreted by the pancreas after meals. In some cases this was found to be effective. Injection of other endocrine gland preparations did not prove useful, except adrenalin which is used to arouse an individual from a hypoglycemic coma. This situation arises more often be over dosage of insulin, and seldom because hypoglycosis not related to diabetes. Adrenalin is not necessary, for even without treatment the comatose individual will come out of his stupor. Frederick M. Allen, M.D., states that, "A severe insulin attack appears so alarming that patients and families need to be assured of the comparative lack of danger. Even a considerable overdose is ordinarily non-fatal, and without any treatment the patient comes out of unconsciousness without lasting harm." People do come out of drug comas, but whether or not they are lastingly damaged from this is a debatable point.
From the foregoing it is obvious that medical treatment, is dangerous, even lethal, and that at best the suppression of symptoms with diet is the same as taking another cup of coffee for the headache which was caused by coffee in the first place. Permitting the patient to eat anytime he or she has a symptom is the same as permitting the patient to drug himself when he has some t y p e of illness. Orthobionomists (practicing Hygienists) do not permit eating between meals, and we have found that hypoglycemics can fast, and they do not go into coma. They do get well, and they do not have to eat all day long, to suppress symptoms after the fast. How much better to solve the problem by caring for the tout ensemble instead of part by part. Whether it is a benign tumor, or hyperplasia, or functional hypoglycosis, the living organism alone can remedy the situation. It is well known that while fasting the body absorbs tumors. A tumor in the pancreas would be no exception to the rule. It is well known that hyperplasia in any organ is reduced by fasting. It is common knowledge that all the body functions and body fluids are normalized while fasting. There is no exception in the case of a functional hypoglycosis. The body's endocrine secretions are minutely balanced, each one influencing the other, and when one functions abnormally, it affects many other glands, and vice versa. When the malfunction of one organ is corrected, then all the other glands will begin to function more normally. After a fast, which permitted the body to right what ever the cause of the neuropsychiatric symptoms, then under Hygienic care, the invalid is fed a wholesome diet of fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts.
Fruits, which are man's normal diet, need not be feared when taken in moderation. Much of the sugar in fruit is fructose. Since fructose is absorbed more slowly than glucose it probably does not occasion the rapid secretion of insulin that foods which contain mainly glucose do. Furthermore, it has been shown that fructose can be utilized by the liver and other cells with out insulin. This leads us to question whether or not fructose occasions a great increase of insulin as the other sugars do. At any rate, hypoglycemics, even without having first fasted have been able to eat fruit at the Health School.
Fear not you hypoglycemics. Your destiny is not so bleak. There is a way out, but it can't be done by diet alone or surgery or drugs. Something more basic, more radical and more lasting is necessary. Hygienic living can bring about the necessary basic changes in the organism to permit the recovery of genuine health.

PPS Here are those quotes by Dr. Fuhrman…

“Delaying a meal brings about symptoms most people call “hunger.” These symptoms include abdominal cramping, weakness, and feeling ill -- the same as during drug withdrawal.

This is not hunger. Our dietary habits, especially eating animal-protein-rich foods three times a day, are so stressful to the detoxification system in our liver and kidneys that we start to get withdrawal, or detoxification, symptoms the minute we aren’t busy processing such food.” Joel Fuhrman, “Eat To Live” p. 165

“In medical school my classmates and I learned from a researcher that animal protein places a detoxification stress on the liver and that the nitrogenous wastes generated are toxic. These metabolic toxins (about fourteen of them) rise in the bloodstream and accompany the rise in uric acid after a meal rich in animal protein. Withdrawal from these toxins can cause uncomfortable symptoms in susceptible individuals, symptoms that many call hypoglycemia.” Joel Fuhrman, “Eat To Live” p. 166

“Most people have lost touch with the ability to detect true hunger; they are driven to eat way before hunger appears, because they are addicted to their unhealthy diets and feel uncomfortable if they don’t overeat or eat too often.” Joel Fuhrman, “Eat To Live” p. 167

PPPS And finally, here is an old post from this forum for MOTIVATION…

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
Re: Low Blood Sugar
Author: infinitelove
Date: 07-05-03 07:18

Hi Bluesky--
I am 54, and I suffered from low blood sugar all my life too, and for many years when I was a raw foodist I had blood sugar problems, so eventually tried a low carb diet for several years. But these past few months, something has changed radically, and after about 3 months of carefully doing partial juice fasts, liver cleanses and many short fasts (i.e. fast for say 16 hrs., but eat dinner), and finally a rather long juice and fruit "fast", I'm now having no trouble with fruit, fruit juice or raw food, in general. All the problems I had with it before-- bloating, spaciness, extreme hunger and/or overeating late in the day, moodiness, lack of energy, sore gums-- they're gone, without overeating plant fats. (I do eat a little-- some cold pressed olive oil, one or two avos a week, but no nuts yet.) I am quite amazed, but thrilled. In the past I didn't lose weight well on a raw food diet; now I've lost a very noticeable amount of weight very quickly and my muscle tone still seems the same.
My "case" ;-) is not typical, and my advice may not be for you, but my main point is Never Give Up! Don't force yourself, don't blame yourself, but work it and perhaps eventually it'll work for you!
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: April 12, 2012 02:44PM

Sorry John but i can't agree with that, low blood sugar can happen on vegetarian/vegan diets too(although occurs less obviously due to better diet), many of the symptoms associated with low blood sugar such as anxiety/palpitations is actually from the release of epinepherine(adrenaline).

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: April 12, 2012 06:04PM

<<< There are different types and causes of hypoglycemia. Acute hypoglycemia i.e feeling tired, lowered blood sugar straight after meals is treated differently than say chronic hypoglycemia which is partially a result of dysfunctional adrenal glands.>>>

Hi powerlifer,

Blaming Hypoglycemia on the Adrenal Glands is the same thing as Blaming Neuropathy on Diabetes. In both cases, Adrenal Dysfunction and Diabetes are NOT the Primary Causes - they are Subsequent Causes that may or may not need to be addressed. First, Remove the Primary Causes and then, Support the Body in case there is any Temporary Impairment or Permanent Damage.

Peace and Love………John

Date: April 12, 2012 06:06PM

<<< Sorry John but i can't agree with that, low blood sugar can happen on vegetarian/vegan diets too (although occurs less obviously due to better diet), many of the symptoms associated with low blood sugar such as anxiety/palpitations is actually from the release of epinephrine (adrenaline).>>>

Hi powerlifer,

Yes, the Adrenals do help regulate Blood Sugar Levels when Insulin is high and Glucagon is low as a back-up response to help raise Blood Sugar in the absence of adequate Glucagon, but the Symptoms of Hypoglycemia have nothing to do with Blood Sugar Levels.

According to Dr. Vetrano in the above article, who by the way was Dr. Herbert Shelton’s assistant and is an Allopathic Doctor, a Chiropractor Doctor, a Naturopathic Doctor and the last time I talked to her several years ago had just received a PhD in the Science of Hygiene:

• “The picture is very complicated. The villain seems to delight in mystery. One can be tested, and have a truly low blood sugar and yet not manifest symptoms at all. It seems that hypoglycemia is normal for some individuals. Another thing which staggers the modern scientific audience, is that many people have symptoms identical with those associated with hypoglycemia yet they show no abnormal depression of the blood sugar level. In fact, these same symptoms have been strong, when the blood sugar level was high. Therefore the term hypoglycemia is not supposed to be used to indicate any pathologic condition or clinical picture. Stated succinctly hypoglycemia is only a lab report. Symptoms may or may not accompany low blood sugar, and the symptoms may exist with normal blood sugar levels.”

So #1) Low Blood Sugar has nothing to do with the Symptoms and #2) I originally said, “and are usually Withdrawal Symptoms from the Toxins in Meat because the Liver is compromised.” Please take a note of the word “usually”!

Yes, Adrenal Fatigue can Cause complications and is one of the many reasons why so many people don’t do well when they Remove the Primary Causes, so your point is well taken and must always be considered when we Remove the Primary Causes and still don’t feel well.

Peace and Love………John

Date: April 12, 2012 06:53PM

Hey John,

Sorry i didn't mean to make out that all the symptoms were caused by dysfunctional adrenal glands just partially, incase it came across that way.

I must say i don't agree with alot of the natural hygiene principles, to me alot of it is just unsubstantiated wild theories. What toxins are they theorizing about that causing those symptoms ?.

To me the theory doesn't make much sense for many reasons but the major being that vegetarians and vegans can still suffer from low blood sugar, diabetes etc although much less common due to diets higher in fiber etc as you'll know of course.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: April 12, 2012 07:43PM

<<<I must say i don't agree with alot of the natural hygiene principles, to me alot of it is just unsubstantiated wild theories. What toxins are they theorizing about that causing those symptoms ?>>>

Hi powerlifer,

Natural Hygiene is Not without its Flaws as they are missing some very important Pieces to the Puzzle that go beyond the Law of Cause & Effect and have to do with the Ripple Effect - something that most of its proponents have not figured out yet. I expose these Flaws in my latest book, which is still searching for a hook and a title.

However, those who do Not study NH are missing the BIGGEST Pieces to the Puzzle and the Law of Cause & Effect does Not have to be substantiated because we are Living Systems and are subject the Law of Cause & Effect, just as all matter is subject to Newton’s 3rd Law of Motion - the Law of Action & Reaction.

As far as those Toxins go, I have not only read every book on NH, but I have also analyzed it to the Nth degree and it would be in your best interest to overcome the alienation that most NHers cause due to their missing Pieces and find what they have found. You will not be disappointed as long as you understand that these NH Principles only apply in an ideal world, which no longer exists as we are also subject to the Ripple Effect.

Peace and Love………John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 07:51PM by John Rose.

Date: April 13, 2012 01:08AM

I'm really interested in what Coco and Tam were saying about grains causing mental illness such as bipolar. If you know where you obtained that info, I'd very much like the link please.

Some of my work is to facilitate a 'men's group', and also to co-facilitate a 'drug and mental illness group' with a Psychologist. So knowing what types of food can increase a persons susceptibility to contracting a mental illness will allow me to help many people. And if nothing else, they could become much healthier as a consequence.

Thx in advance x

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 13, 2012 03:11PM

geo,

Summary of data(sparse, but it's early days), with citations at bottom:

[celiacdisease.about.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables