Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Many of the Articles Justify Not Eating Cooked Food by Using Analogies sad smiley
Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: October 16, 2006 01:00AM

since im a raw foodist now i have been reading all the articles on this lovely website. they are all super informative, but in my quest to find out what foods are really actually healthy for us (is it fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, a combination of all, meat?) some of the articles make very uninformative and immature points.

for example, many of the articles state reasons that we should be eating this way simply because "we would eat that way if we were in prehistoric times" but fact is we're not. we have many types of foods at are disposal.

another analogy used is the fact that we shouldn't be eating meat because if we were naked in the wild we probably wouldn't attack and rip open an animals flesh with our teeth, but i think this point is pointless. i totally agree we wouldn't kill animals in the wild if we were primitive, but we're not living like that anymore. cooking gets rid of the bad bacteria and it tastes good..

now im not going back to cooked food or meat, i WANT to be and AM a raw foodist, but i just dont get some of the analogies in the articles...

also, i just dont understand the whole point about heat destorying food. the argument that since fire destroys a house a fire destroys food just doesn't make sense to me. how come then many cooked foods like cooked beans or just cooking up vegetables they still have nutrients? yes, they might have less nutrients but then you eat more of them because they taste good.

also, then how come heating makes some foods more edible, and these foods have nutrients as well. it makes certain chemicals in uncooked food edible when you heat them.

im not trying to disrespect anyone on this board, just trying to gather as many viewpoint and opinions as i can so i can make a smart one myself.

also, i thought fire was a natural thing. it can be made in nature. and im sure the first time humans tried what heated food tastes like, sitting in the forest with a big fire (in prehistoric days) and some person tried putting a tomato in the fire, it grilled it, and then it tasted even better that way. this seems alright to me, because naturally since fire is on our Earth i think humans wanted to try and see what food tastes like after being touched by fire for a bit...

any comments or viewpoints? the more the better

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2006 01:02AM by confuzed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Many of the Articles Justify Not Eating Cooked Food by Using Analogies sad smiley
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 16, 2006 02:49AM

Have you read the analogy about how heat would destroy YOUR cells if you were exposed to it? I found that analogy powerful, I don't know where to read it exactly, it tends to pop up in raw literature a lot.

I think the best way to describe cooked food is "half-burnt" or "partially destroyed", it's not quite burned to a blackened crisp, but it would have been if the cooking process hadn't been stopped.

Re: Many of the Articles Justify Not Eating Cooked Food by Using Analogies sad smiley
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: October 16, 2006 02:54AM

Regarding meat, how about the viewpoint that animals suffer and die unnecessarily when we eat meat? I'm not sure that any nutritionists these days will say that meat contains nutrients that a person can't get on a vegan diet - with the exception of B12.

Didn't I read that you were back to eating meat? Did you change your mind? Hope so.

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 16, 2006 03:27AM

confuzed,

rather than worrying about the literature, why not have your own experience of the raw food diet and report back to us how you feel and what changed for you?

Date: October 16, 2006 03:53AM

but this is exactly what happened already ^^^ have you not been listening to my every word lol i thought you were responding to all my posts

i keep writing how i loved the way i felt and "thought i looked" but i just cant get over the heat argument...

yes, it probably destroys some nutrients but then you eat more to get the more nutrients...

and that analogy about our cells being burned by fire is totally pointless (in my opinion) just like the burning houses analogy..

just because our cells would die from being burned doesn't convince me that we shouldn't be eating heated food...

i guess the heat argument is really messing me up because it just doesn't make sense to me... in the prehistoric days and the way "we're supposed to be" which is what most of you preach, the way we would eat if we were bare and naked in wild, i think it would be in natural human thought to try food thats been heated by fire to see if it tastes different or better.

Date: October 16, 2006 04:18AM

confuzed,

How long were you raw when you felt and looked better? If you don't like the heat argument, then return to heating your food. Certainly no one here will argue with your right or desire to do so.

Date: October 16, 2006 05:20AM

im sorry bryan i dont mean to keep bothering you thank you for responding..

i really need to take some time out and sit and think about whats good for myself and what i want to do.

i first did a master cleanse for about 6 days then i just started eating all fruits. i wonder if this was really enough time to notice anything better, maybe i was just beginning to feel the amazing effects?

but either way thank you it means a lot to take so much time and respond to EVERY question i have lol please know i appreciate it..

but yes im definitely going to sit for awhile and think about what is best for me. smiling smiley thank you bryan smiling smiley

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: October 16, 2006 06:22AM

What I know is that heating does denature certain nutrients but it also breaks down others making them more digestable. From a raw foodist point of view many more nutrients are denatured than made available by cooking. I remember seeing a website that discussed this. Pehaps you should google it in as "cooking raw better" or something. As for why I am trying to be raw and vegan? Well it seems to me that the less you do to fresh food, the better the quality of the nutrients. Iss this a fact? No. Its just a philosophy I am trying out right now. Mind you really processed foods with ingredients that I can't even pronounce are not good for my health most of the times. That has been proven over and over.
Just my two cents.

Date: October 16, 2006 06:52AM

confuzed,

What do you parents say about your raw food experiments? Do they make you raw recipes for dinner? Do they give you your own grocery budget? I am assuming that they are not raw foodists.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 16, 2006 06:53AM

Veganlife, I like what you are saying here. Most of us I think are trying this because it seems to be paying off more so than not. I think the trick here for most is, some do better with 100% and I wish that were me, and some do better with... say 75% like me, or 80%, 90% or whatever. I do love my cooked warm beans and rice with raw salsa and avocado.

Date: October 16, 2006 07:50AM

i usually make enough money of my own to buy the little fruits i was eating. for example i would go and buy a ton of grapes and eat those all day but that was it...

Date: October 16, 2006 12:52PM

AARRGGHH....I know who you are now!!!

Oh boy!

Date: October 16, 2006 02:57PM

wait what? ^^^^ you know me?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 16, 2006 06:20PM

Who is confuzed? I know I am. haha

You should join my forum confuzed, it'll be fun for you there.

Date: October 16, 2006 06:32PM

lol fruitarian one you are the only one getting upset. i have no problems with you lol smiling smiley i think you are a beautiful person no one else is as upset as you are

Date: October 16, 2006 06:59PM

Don't worry...I'm not upset ...I'm just straight to the point!....

Date: October 16, 2006 07:15PM

so who is confuzed FO?

he claims he is a confuzed teenager. I tend to believe him.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 16, 2006 10:11PM

Hey TF1,

what gave it away for you? ;-)

Ian.

Date: October 16, 2006 10:53PM

sodoffsocks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey TF1,
>
> what gave it away for you? ;-)
>
> Ian.

He,he...;-)

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 16, 2006 11:29PM

It can't be sodoffsocks, I don't think so, no way. Maybe nedsin.

Date: October 16, 2006 11:37PM

sodoffsocks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey TF1,
>
> what gave it away for you? ;-)
>
> Ian.

To be honest with you...the User name and the repeat questions post in one day!

Date: October 16, 2006 11:39PM

Heh, I only have one login here, so no, it's not sodoffsocks. No comment on the rest of your post. ;-)

Ian.

Date: October 17, 2006 03:55AM

On another note, I would like to express my support for Confuzed, regardless of what I and other people think/suspect. If he (or anybody for that matter) is genuinly tried to follow the raw diet (which I believe he is...) and is going to be reasonability civil about communicating on this board, then I will attempt to answer his questions and support him. Some of the questions Confuzed has brought up have lead to an interesting discussion. Maybe Confuzed is new and just happens to have a similar sentence structure to person who stopped posting around the time Confuzed joined, or maybe Confuzed is the recincarnation of somebody else who posted here, either way, if you're following the life style you've got my support.

Confuzed, what is you're really name? What do your friends/family call you?

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 17, 2006 04:30AM

Confuzed, you make some good points that I, at least, agree with. It is just a plain & simple fact that the application of heat (no, not burning) causes certain naturally occurring components of that food to be more digestible and usable by our bodies. Also, as you say, certain foods just taste better (nothing wrong with that). I find it impossible to be 100% raw.

Date: October 17, 2006 05:01AM

At this point I'm in agreement with FruitarianOne. I am not going to give any more of my energy to confuzed, as I believe he is here to create confusion and division among the raw foodists here. If anyone has a complaint about his behavior or posts, please send me a private message, and if need be, he will be banned.

Also, there are better places to talk about the benefits of cooked food. I appreciate that many of the folk here are not 100% raw, nor do they intend to ever be. But this is a support group for people who are trying to succeed on the raw vegan diet, and posts that discourage raw foods or extoll the great benefits of cooked foods, or animal foods, or cooked animal foods, will be dealt with.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 17, 2006 06:33AM

Confuzed said that he is and wants to be a raw fooder. As far as I can see, he is just throwing out some opinions for debate. Is there a standard of purity we have to adhere to, to be welcome here? Yes/No. Check one, whoever is in charge.

I like this forum, but, gosh, diet is so personal and changeable in the course of one's life. Bryan, your words give me pause: that this is a place where people are ..."trying to succeed on the raw vegan diet". No one should have to "try" to succeed at any kind of regimen, in my opinion. If a way of eating is suitable for one's health and lifestyle, then there is no trying involved. For me, I finally had to include some cooked food. That doesn't take away from anyone here who wants to struggle to eat all-raw and all-vegan.

Is there anybody here who supports my viewpoint?

Date: October 17, 2006 07:09AM

I support your viewpoint.

Confuzed has generated more traffic on this board since I've seen since it's inception (the new boards anyway).

He doesn't seem abusive, just a kid who's trying to learn.

I think the concerns he is bringing up are legitimate (to him anyways).

To ban him would be sending a hostile messege to others who aren't quite sold (but might want to be).

Posted by: innerview ()
Date: October 17, 2006 09:14AM

I don't think it "sends a hostile messege..."
Confuzed is obviously someone trying to push buttons and create confuz-zion.
It's just a joke... at times humorous and other times just plain annoying.

Confuzed, just trust your mommy and eat whatever she puts on the table
and feel good about it.
bye-bye.

Date: October 17, 2006 10:55PM

Horsea, Narz,

confuzed will only be banned if I get receive a complaint from another member. Otherwise, he will be left alone.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables