Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

That time of year is coming up again, Wild Foraging!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 03, 2012 02:19PM

Herbs as food and medicine [www.youtube.com]

A couple of things are already greening up here in Southern Ontario and very soon the world will be providing abundant wild foods. What do you harvest? Where do you find it? What are you resources for learning about and finding wild foods?

We've got Peterson Fieldguides to wild edibles and wild medicinals as well as Sterling's wild edible foods of North America plus a couple of good herbal reference books.
This looks so wonderful too, I'm thinking about getting this set of DVD's.
[www.markusrothkranz.com]
Hopefully there will be some wild edible walks in this area soon, I'm really excited about getting outside and harvesting mulberries, they are my absolute favourite food. Wild asparagus grows here too, amazing!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: That time of year is coming up again, Wild Foraging!
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 03, 2012 03:34PM

I am craving wild nettles but they don't proliferate hereabouts like they used to, and when they do, the dog of the caretaker of the church behind my house waters them copiously with his canine pee. I watch him and know I would not feel confident about having washed anything of "his" well enough to eat it--eeewwwwwww!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 03, 2012 04:58PM

My boyfriend picks the nettles. winking smiley

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 03, 2012 05:23PM

Hairy bittercress is up all over the garden - also dandelion greens, young beechleaves (very soon I hope). Good King Henry is in the hedgerows. I too am excited about foraging this summer.

Date: April 03, 2012 05:36PM

Hairy bittercress and Good King Henry? Wow, send me a sampling of these wonderous wild greens please!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 03, 2012 05:56PM

Great thread and not a topic i know much about, will be keeping an eye on this one.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: April 03, 2012 06:06PM

Check those links I put up PL, you'll find it interesting for sure!

Date: April 03, 2012 08:38PM

[www.gardenersworld.com]

I put this link up just to illustrate how something that grows so easily all over the garden is considered a real nuisance by some gardeners but is really a super little addition to the salad bowl. I eat it leaves and flowers and all.

But it's ridiculous to say that you need to use a chemical weedkiller to control it because it is very shallow rooting and can be pulled up without the need of a fork - easy peasy - and dumped on the compost heap. A win win situation.

Do you have day lilies in America - Hemerocallis? it is fab to eat the flowers when they are in fat bud, just before they open. They are quite big and so are quite a surprise for some people when they show up in the salad bowl smiling smiley
[www.google.co.uk]

Date: April 03, 2012 10:33PM

That first plant I don't know but it looks luscious. The daylilies, we do get those though I understand some varieties of lily are edible and others are not at all. I don't know the difference yet, I'll have to study that.

Date: April 04, 2012 12:44AM

Dew on Dandelion fluff, for your viewing pleasure smiling smiley.

[www.thisiscolossal.com]

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 04, 2012 07:42PM

Well,I have to admit,so far,I have only foraged at the farmers markets and grocery stores.....smiling smiley
A local store hosts"weed walks" in the spring,and they point out many plants that can be found on a walking trail you can pick and eat.
Vinny

Date: April 05, 2012 11:53AM

Yes Coco - daylillies is only their common name, they aren't really a lily. Always go for the latin name as it is universal in all languages and there can be no mistake - the name here is Hemerocallis.

You know one person may call a plant 'Granney's knickers', some one else may call it 'Eggs and Bacon', someone else may call it 'tufted vetch' and who knows what it is.

Vinny - weed walks sound great - are you going? We have similar days - foraging for food etc

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 05, 2012 12:49PM

flipperjan,

You know one person may call a plant 'Granney's knickers', some one else may call it 'Eggs and Bacon', someone else may call it 'tufted vetch' and who knows what it is.

Did you make these up, because I'm LOL! Like, what's a "vetch" and how does one tuft it? smiling smiley

Posted by: brome ()
Date: April 05, 2012 03:15PM

Lambs Quarter or Goose Foot (Chenopodium album), Perennial Ryegrass (Lolium perenne), California Brome, and Mulberry shoots are in season now in central California. Chew up the grasses, suck out the juice, and spit out the pulp. Eat any grass that tastes good.

As the snow melts, perennial grasses sprout up delicious, tender, new growth, very very good. Follow the melting snow into the high mountains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 03:17PM by brome.

Date: April 05, 2012 05:48PM

ha ha Tam. I made up Granney's knickers but for all I know it could be a name. Eggs and Bacon is a real name and so is vetch - but not the tufted bit. There are masses of different vetches and I have no idea if you can eat them (she hastily adds)

e.g.[www.google.co.uk]

Posted by: skuli ()
Date: April 06, 2012 04:07AM

I should learn more about this, interesting thread

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: April 07, 2012 08:22PM

I've currently got a dehydrator full of nettles, picked in the woods on the full moon the other day smiling smiley nettle tea supplies for months, yay! I must admit I tend to stick to the obvious things like nettles dandelions and cleavers, but I always wonder whether the other weeds lying around are edible.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 09, 2012 04:04PM

I gotta get a good book on identifying these sorts of things. I live right by a forest preserve so I am sure there's gotta be some edibles over there. Last time I looked, they had no dandelion, which I find odd but the forest preserve workers are trying to keep native plants in that area. I am sure dandelion is native but perhaps too invasive? In any case, yesterday I was able to pick a few leaves of young dandelion by the river in a nearby townsmiling smiley

Date: April 10, 2012 02:02AM

Those pic of dew soaked dandelion are beautiful coco, and I'm saving one for my computers desktop.

It's the first month of Autumn here, but there are dandelion, wild nettles, wild passion-fruit vine and tubers. Just to name a few that grow up in the hinterland, which is only a short trip inland. On the coast, there are many wild plants that I'm sure are eatable. I've tried some, but there're generally quite bitter. I wish there was a book on bushtucker for the coastal regions.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 10, 2012 05:19PM

I wonder how much we could help - planting and taking care of mulberries, blueberries, blackberries, in the forest. Last year I really enjoyed the blackberries, I wonder how they could be spread in the forest.

Date: April 10, 2012 11:28PM

Cuttings can be transplanted but the berries have an amazing way to spread themselves far and wide. The seeds are indigestible and when eaten by wild creatures they are excreted in a perfect growing medium winking smiley.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 13, 2012 06:41PM

Well, that is the superior method smiling smiley but we could still add some gardening...

Date: April 14, 2012 12:24PM

absolutely rab. I did a short course on forest gardening with Martin Crawford.

It's well worth trying this kind of gardening with what ever space you have.

[www.eatweeds.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables