Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Food & Unrealistic Optimism...
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: April 09, 2012 07:44PM

Have you ever wondered why it is so hard to get the Raw Food Message out to the masses?

Well, a study was published on line back on 10-9-11 that explains how people will Shut Down their Frontal Lobe in order to avoid anything they don’t want to entertain, whether it’s Not to Eat Cooked Food or our World is Run by Psychopaths. This study explains the mechanics to Denial by way of a Mental Processing Error.

How unrealistic optimism is maintained in the face of reality
[www.nature.com]

Optimism Is a Brain Defect, According to Functional MRI Scans
[www.popsci.com]

Brain 'rejects negative thoughts'
[newsfeedresearcher.com]

Peace and Love………John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Food & Unrealistic Optimism...
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 09, 2012 08:33PM

Surely the large chunk of our population suffering from chronic amygdalosis contradicts these findings winking smiley

I think that if the majority of people were inherently unwilling to cede food freedom to what you call globe-ruling psychopaths, the psychos wouldn't be running the globe. That is, I disagree with the idea that people are passive passengers at the outset. In the post WWII era, when all these processed foods started coming on the market, the masses willingly tried and adopted them, thus unintentionally constructing the cages of bad nutrition an health habits that now imprison their offspring and offsprings' offspring.

Really think these threads should be in Other Topics, though, John! They'll get a lot of action there, no fear smiling smiley

Date: April 09, 2012 09:38PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Surely the large chunk of our population suffering
> from chronic amygdalosis contradicts these
> findings winking smiley
>
> I think that if the majority of people were
> inherently unwilling to cede food freedom to what
> you call globe-ruling psychopaths, the psychos
> wouldn't be running the globe. That is, I
> disagree with the idea that people are passive
> passengers at the outset. In the post WWII era,
> when all these processed foods started coming on
> the market, the masses willingly tried and adopted
> them, thus unintentionally constructing the cages
> of bad nutrition an health habits that now
> imprison their offspring and offsprings'
> offspring.

The Globalists are Not the Globalists because we are Willing to make Bad Choices. It’s the Bad Choices that create the Globalists, as well as a Malfunctioning Survival Mechanism, whereby, we don’t know our Choices are Bad. Since society attacks early before we have the Ability for Critical Thinking, our Feedback System is Malfunctioning and does a poor job of Warning us when we are Eating Foods that we are Not Biologically Adapted to Eat.

In other words, most of our ancestors were already Addicted and in Denial long before the post WWII era. Of course, having an Emotional Reaction along with Denial sure does not help matters and I’ve often said that there’s a Battle between our Neocortex and our Reptilian Brain - we’re too clever for our own good and we can become Addicted to anything that’s Pleasurable.

Peace and Love………John

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 09, 2012 10:35PM

Those articles are a little over my head in tech terms,so I will just give a simple opinion why the masses arent getting the raw food message:
Because cooked food tastes good and thats the only thing most folks care about as far as food.
Period.
End of discussion.smiling smiley

Vinny

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2012 10:36PM by eaglefly.

Date: April 09, 2012 10:37PM

But I remain optimistic that they will eventually get it.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 09, 2012 11:54PM

Most people eat by culture not science. What their families eat that's what they eat. It used to be passed by tradition, but now with all the companies pushing products and trying to become rich, people are getting used to conveneince, malnutririon, and medicine without realizing the cycle they are in.

Date: April 10, 2012 06:43AM

eaglefly Wrote:
> Those articles are a little over my head in tech
> terms,so I will just give a simple opinion why the
> masses arent getting the raw food message:
> Because cooked food tastes good and thats the only
> thing most folks care about as far as food.
> Period.
> End of discussion.smiling smiley
>
> Vinny

Hey Vinny,

Yes, we Love Cooked Food, we’re Addicted to Cooked Food and that’s why we Run to Denial to Protect those Pleasures and that’s what this study shows - how we Run to Denial by Shutting Down our Frontal Lobe.

However, Additions and Denial are only 2 of the 19 reasons why we have 2 forms of Ignorance where we don’t know we don’t know. There are 5 more Willing Factors and 12 Sources of False Knowledge, but I agree with you that Additions and Denial are at the top of the list right behind the Dark Side of our Behavior and Traditions.

Peace and Love………John

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 10, 2012 07:06AM

John,

I don't think I agree with the use of capital letters for non proper nouns, that is, I don't see how your choice of capitalization improves communication over the normal capitalization rules. Could you explain why you choose to capitalize so many mid-sentence words that are neither proper nouns or names?

Date: April 10, 2012 07:26AM

Prana Wrote:
> John,
>
> I don't think I agree with the use of capital
> letters for non proper nouns, that is, I don't see
> how your choice of capitalization improves
> communication over the normal capitalization
> rules. Could you explain why you choose to
> capitalize so many mid-sentence words that are
> neither proper nouns or names?

Brian,

I capitalize words that I want to emphasize and when it comes to Waking Up the Masses, I could care less about “Normal Capitalization Rules”!

Date: April 10, 2012 12:50PM

Its funny.
I was moving my cursor over all those capitals thinking they were links to something smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 10, 2012 12:56PM

This is a bit of a pain to remember how to do but it works very well for emphasizing words and is so much easier for others to read.

[ i]italicized text[/i]

just type it out as above without any spaces and it will look like the following.

italicized text

Use a b in place of the i for bold text.

[ b]bold text[/b]

bold text

smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 10, 2012 01:41PM

I think the message is firmly out there that fruit and vegetables are amongst the healthiest foods we can consume.

I think there are a number of social and economic factors which is why many don't follow an all raw vegan diet.

1. Cooked food is in many cases a denser and thus easier source of calories.
2. Relative to the above point but not everyone has all day to scout out for 40 perfectly ripe bananas or creating production lines of varying levels of ripe fruit, thus choose an easier denser source of calories.
2. Some are not interested in supplementation i.e B12 and such, many would rather just eat a more rounded diet.
3. Money, not everyone lives in areas where produce is cheap. Factor in that there are many who have £10 to feed a family of 3 off per dayeand you will see that you couldnt't purchase 2000 calories of adequate raw nutrition for each individual off that, thus cooked food is the more convient option.
4. Area - living in the tropics in Thailand where you have constant ripe lovely fruit is all great, but try telling that to a would be raw foodist living in Russia at winter time.
5. Athletes/Active Individuals - If someone is expending larger amounts of calories than the average i.e an athlete or someone active they will need to consume more calories. Many find it hard to eat adequate calories with dense sources, so eating 4 or 5 times the volume of raw food doesn't appeal to many.

There are many more factors but the above are some of the obvious. Obviously the above is just my opinion, i don't feel 100% raw is healthy or needed. I do feel though that raw foods should make up a large portion of any healthy diet. Suggesting that everyone who doesn't follow raw is ignorant by purposely shutting off parts of their brain or are in denial is abit extreme though.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 01:56PM by powerlifer.

Date: April 10, 2012 03:11PM

<<< It’s funny. I was moving my cursor over all those capitals thinking they were links to something >>>

Hey Vinny,

Thanks for the chuckles…these Capitalized Words will have Hyperlinks on my new interactive website once I figure out another way to disguise this message other than a Weight Loss Program, which is how I got into this and is how I first disguised it. One of the many reasons why our Raw Food Message is not getting out is because most people DO Shut Off their Frontal Lobe when they hear that they should not Alter their Food or else their Food will Alter them!

For example, when you read about Piece #3 - the Dark Side of our Behavior in my book, there will be 166 Files on my website to explain this in more detail.

Hey coco,

Thanks for the instructions…I will definitely use those in the future, but I capitalize all of the Key Words that I use in my own writing so as to create a better visual image for me. I also change the font sizes and highlight and shade everything meaningful so I can create File Previews for all of my 5,000 or so files. For example, my file on The Thyroid Gland is 206 pages long, but my File Preview is only 14 pages long, so my students don’t have to read the entire file because they can just read the first 14 pages of my File Previews and then, they can use ctrl F to find where the Preview is in my file if they want to see that section in its entirety.

<<<Suggesting that everyone who doesn't follow raw is ignorant by purposely shutting off parts of their brain or are in denial is abit extreme though.>>>

Hey powerlifer,

I would NEVER suggest that EVERYONE Runs to Denial and makes up Excuses for their Addictions, but most people do!

I am just as passionate today as I was 22 years ago when I first went Raw. I have written, produced and hosted 8 Cable TV Shows and when people would call me to find out what I was talking about, I soon found out that as soon as I mentioned Raw Food, people went a running. By the way, I got over 100 calls a week when I had these shows on TV, but that’s been well over a decade ago. I am still searching for a clever way to Wake Up the Masses, so I go to Memorial Park in Houston several times a day to run all of my latest ideas by people who usually have never heard of this message and now that I understand what’s happening, I can actually see when people’s Frontal Lobe Shuts Down whenever I mention Raw Food or even that there are Psychopaths Ruling the World.

Think about…

How do you Wake Up someone who is in Denial?

How do you tell the Heroin Addict that his Drug of Choice is Killing them when they already think that their Drug of Choice is worth the price?

Indeed, it is almost impossible to Wake Up someone in Denial!

Peace and Love………John

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: April 10, 2012 04:03PM

John Rose
22 years on Raw.
Very good,would you say your raw food journey has been successful?
What are the key points for success?

Posted by: EvolveWithFlavor ()
Date: April 10, 2012 04:35PM

The denial is rampant yes because the general population HATES truth.

That includes us to some extent - if we have truth related to our food we may not have it in our relationships, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 04:46PM by EvolveWithFlavor.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 10, 2012 05:30PM

John Rose Wrote:
> Think about…
>
> How do you Wake Up someone who is in Denial?
>
> How do you tell the Heroin Addict that his Drug of
> Choice is Killing them when they already think
> that their Drug of Choice is worth the price?
>
> Indeed, it is almost impossible to Wake Up someone
> in Denial!
>
> Peace and Love………John

Hey John,

Being a past fast food addict and being someone who has also came from a heavy drink/drug background with various addictions along the way i feel they are both approached differently. But i understand the point you were making.

The same analogy can be applied to food, many over weight people i know are willing to keep killing themselves for the taste of their favorite fast foods etc, much like when i was an alcoholic but kept drinking with known liver troubles.

I think the main answer i get when talking about a healthy diet with others is - "I don't want to eat crappy salads and rabbit food all day". I have to say this is the common answer i get from most. The problem largely in my eyes is that there is little alternative healthy food choices, cooked food can be healthy and having a McDonalds, KFC, Burger King etc on every corner of the street with zero healthy convient alternatives it is no wonder we have obesity epidemics.

I guess everyone has their answers what is healthy but i know most of the people around here wouldn't be willing to eat salads or raw greens etc often. These people in essence would never be able to make a raw diet work. A salad to these people is virtually tasteless due to how numb their taste buds are from heavy over-stimulation of salts and various chemicals.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: April 10, 2012 06:01PM

<<<I guess everyone has their answers what is healthy but i know most of the people around here wouldn't be willing to eat salads or raw greens etc often. These people in essence would never be able to make a raw diet work. A salad to these people is virtually tasteless due to how numb their taste buds are from heavy over-stimulation of salts and various chemicals.>>>

Great points powerlifer and I agree 100%. I’m convinced that very few of us are in a position to evaluate what we’re doing and what we need to do because we don’t know what we’re missing and will Not think that these Changes will be a Fair Trade. For this reason, 99% of my students start their Journey for a Better Life with a long, extended properly conducted Juice Fast or Juice Feast, as I’ve been calling it for the last decade or so. In this way, people are able to #1) see what they’re missing and #2) Reset their Feedback System or their Survival Mechanism so that when they do go back to some of their old favorite Foods, they will have a Food Hangover. But most importantly, they get to see what they’re missing and come to a realization that Life has been an Illusion and what is Not a Fair Trade is to keep doing what we thought was bringing us Pleasure, when those short-term Pleasures are keeping us from experiencing another level of existence that most of us never get to experience.

I coached a Cattle Rancher that swore that he would never become Vegan and I coached an ER Physician who was already Vegan and had no intention of going Raw Vegan, but both of these guys sung a whole different tune once they got a taste of the good life.

Anyway, thanks for the cordial communication and congratulations on overcoming those horrible Addictions.

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 10, 2012 09:05PM

Optimal health is quite incomprehensible until it's actually experienced. :O

Date: April 11, 2012 01:50PM

<<< John Rose
22 years on Raw.
Very good, would you say your raw food journey has been successful?
What are the key points for success?>>>

Hi midinah,

Yes, EXTREMELY successful and the Key for me was to simply Satisfy all of my Essential Needs, which means a whole lot of RAW FOOD!

I got into Raw Food long ago not because I was Sick, like many people, but because I was an athlete and I wanted to improve on my Performance. When I first went Vegan, I was convinced this was the way to go because my endurance level sky rocketed! Once I realized what I ate made a difference, I wanted to know more - how much to eat and when!

Fortunately for me, no one could offer me the details to these simple questions, so I figured it out myself. In the next year and a half, I spent about 1500 hours perfecting this extremely complicated step by step mathematical procedure to monitor my Caloric Activity to figure out exactly how much I needed to eat and when in order to not run out of fuel while competing and not to lose any Lean Body Mass, i.e. the muscles I needed to compete. In effect, I figured out how to Prevent what is called Gluconeogenesis where our bodies will use our own Lean Body Mass (Protein) to create to Carbohydrates in case we empty our very small Carbohydrate Fuel Tank.

So when I became Raw, I had a tremendous advantage over most people because I knew how much I needed to eat and it takes a lot of Raw Food to be successful. This is also what separates me from others who promote Juice Fasting or Juice Feasting as I prefer to call it because you got to drink a lot of Juice to keep your Carbohydrate Fuel Tank Full!

Obviously, Food is not a panacea, so all of those other Essential Needs are just as important. One more thing that I think has been crucial to my success has been sharing this message, thereby, giving me purpose and joy in my life. It reminds me of something Edgar Cayce once said, “Destiny or karma, depends upon what the soul has done about what it has become aware of.” And then, we have Dr. Albert Schweitzer who was healed of life threatening Diabetes using the Gerson Therapy’s Raw Food and Juices Protocol, “I don’t know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.”

This my friend is known as the Hero’s Journey, so if you want to be a successful Raw Foodist, share this message and put some meaning in your life!

Peace and Love………John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables