Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How much should I spend on a juicer?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: April 16, 2012 04:03PM

I've found a juicer in UK for £40.. though this seems kinda cheap to me, ie the juicer will break down pretty soon. What kinda price range shall I look at for quality and durability?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much should I spend on a juicer?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 16, 2012 05:52PM

what do you hope to juice? root veggies, hard fruits and veggies are one price, leafy greens and raw food supporting is higher. What do you want to do?

For the former, recommend BMJ330
For the latter, recomend BM 8004.

Best.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2012 05:54PM by pborst.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 16, 2012 07:44PM

I spent about £360 quid on my Omega 350 - love it. Could have bought a second hand car for that money I know but if you are serious about juicing you will want a better one in the end. Cheap juicers will not do leaves etc and usually waste a lot too.

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: April 16, 2012 08:41PM

Are you saying leaves are easier to juice than root veggies? seems quite contradictory. But Im looking to juice starchy root veg like beets, carrots, radish etc.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 16, 2012 09:01PM

Not harder, specific to type of juicer. A centrifical juicer will manage hard veg no problem but can't do leaves well. A single or double auger juicer is best for leaves and soft fruit, hard veg needs to be cut small enough to even make it through. What you want to juice is key to choosing the right machine for the job smiling smiley.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 16, 2012 09:06PM

That's true but I had a cheaper centrifugal juicer and it left the pulp so wet and lots of chunks got through without being juiced at all. A lot of pulp for not very much juice sad smiley

However my Omega (vertical auger - fab) juices EVERYTHING; the hard stuff doesn't have to be too small - long thin (say finger fat!!) veggies go through easy peasy. The green juice that comes through when you do say kale or dandelions is amazing - luminous green almost - really powerful tasting. You just can't get that with a centrifugal juicer.

Date: April 16, 2012 09:38PM

See, I would consider having to cut veg into finger fat strips small. Not too much of a chore for good juice though, I like our single auger omega just fine for most things.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 16, 2012 10:49PM

I agree with Flipperjan! The Omega 8006 (I paid $300 with free shipping) does everything and the greens juice amazingly. Why get more than one juicer? I sure would never get a centrifugal for many reasons: cleanup, wet pulp, noise, oxidation.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 16, 2012 10:59PM

WanderRA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you saying leaves are easier to juice than
> root veggies? seems quite contradictory. But Im
> looking to juice starchy root veg like beets,
> carrots, radish etc.

No just the opposite, centriguals juice carrots and beets easily ... also celery, romaine, cabbage. etc... hard and firm produce. leafy greens don't do so well.

For leafy greens, I said 8004, others have said 8006, Omega. agree. Hard to to wrong here. If you are looking to juice mainly starchy, hard rooted veggies, a centrifugal will do them and do them well. My recommendation is Omega BM 330J, $200 10 year warranty. If you want to do leafy greens or a combination, other juicers may help you fare better. Best.

Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2012 11:09PM by pborst.

Date: April 18, 2012 12:57AM

Well, at the risk of being slammed winking smiley, the super angel will do everything extremely well. Also, the yield is excellent, and the pulp is as dry as you could ever get. The only draw-back is the price, but I reckon it would pay for itself due to the yield vs produce used. Now that especially true if you purchase organic produce, which is usually almost twice the price of inorganic.

Cheers, geo

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 09, 2012 09:44PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sure would never get a centrifugal for
> many reasons: cleanup, wet pulp, noise, oxidation.

What coco said above makes me feel better about my centrifugal juicer. I mostly juice roots/apples and the like, leaving leaves for smoothies and salads.

My centrifugal is also of a good quality (made by magimix a French company), the pulp is invariably paper dry. And it's pretty quiet I think - it doesn't wake people up when i use it early in the morning.

This leaves oxidation, and I'm wondering to what extent should this be a cause of concern. What is the difference between oxidation levels in auger juicer and centrifugal? Also, what is the difference between oxidation levels in blender and centrifugal juicer? (I tend to blend things mostly)

The thing is I bought this juicer way before I found out about raw movement and about auger type juicers. As I said it's a good juicer and it wasn't cheap as well, so now I need a well good reason if I were to replace it..

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: June 09, 2012 10:52PM

you have to think about how much are you planning to use the juicer. It is tricky because we imagine many thinks. Let me give you an example.

I first learnt about food processors in a raw food book. I was like wow, I am going to get the best one ($400). But! I am an old dog. So, I went to Walmart and got me Black and Decker one for $25 (stainless steel blade). Turns out, I don't use it. Dang! Had I bought the $400 one, it would have been a mistake. Conclusion. Search deep in your soul.

Date: June 09, 2012 11:48PM

That's a good point. I guess i don't use it that much, for now anyway. I guess ill stick with magimix at least until i know better. Perhaps it's true whats people sometimes say, that juices are more for healing, while whole foods for maintaining?

Hmmm this oxidation thing. I suppose blending a smoothie might be quite similar to chewing in terms of oxidation, especially if you blend small amount and do it briefly, and eat straight away.

Date: June 10, 2012 06:20AM

Some googling later, it appears that some people believe that oxidation is really relevant to the shelf life of the juice, in other words if you consume the juice straight away it will not have enough time to affect the nutrients in any substantial way:

"Another disadvantage is the shelf life of the juice from a centrifugal juicer. Because of the high speed required to extract juice, the juice gets aerated, or in other words a great deal of oxygen is dissolved into the juice. The oxygen bubbles in the juice causes the juice to oxidize (spoil) quickly. As a result, the juice from a centrifugal juicer should be consumed right away and can't be effectively stored for any length of time without loss of nutritional value. If you wish to store juice, consider a low speed juicer like a single or twin gear juicer." [www.harvestessentials.com]

A different article makes this point succinctly: "If you cut open an apple, oxidation is created (it turns brown). You never see the browing occur if you eat the apple as soon as you cut it!" [www.discountjuicers.com]

I suppose if someone is very unwell like cancer etc, they would want the best product in terms of it's healing potential, even though the difference between best and second best might be trivial. But this point aside, do you agree that oxidation is not a thing to worry about providing you consume the juice immediately after making it?

I haven't yet found actual study on levels of oxidation, the second article above focused more on the heat issue.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 10, 2012 02:57PM

chat,

Don't worry about oxidation as long as you are consuming the juice soon after preparation and it hasn't gotten heated from the juicer's overworking during the juicing process. An expensive centrifugal juicer that results in a consistently dry pulp and rich juice seems like a good juicer to me smiling smiley

Date: June 11, 2012 06:22AM

Cheers! I guess it's staying put then, unless any new info comes in.

Another worry is settled. Now off to the next one!smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables