Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How many calories to eat per day?
Posted by: Rising Edge ()
Date: April 23, 2012 11:55AM

Anybody got any idea how many calories of raw foods one should eat per day?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many calories to eat per day?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 23, 2012 12:05PM

It depends on a variety of factors mostly activity level, weight and height are the most common.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: April 23, 2012 12:41PM

Thanks for replying, Powerlifer.

170lbs,6ft, male, 3 x 20 mins of jogging/ wk, 3 times per week not too strenuous weightlifting.

How much should I be eating and in what % macros? Thanks for any reply.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 23, 2012 01:01PM

This should be helpful and easier than me trying to explain - [weightloss.about.com]

The problem is that is based on mostly a diet rich in cooked food. I have found with an all raw diet you sometimes need as much as twice as many calories as you do with cooked food. So if your maintenance calories on an average diet was 2000-2500 you could be looking at 4000-5000 calories raw especially if coming from fruit.

This is a large volume of food for some especially when the foods are often fiberous and dense in volume, so many fail to take in enough calories. I am still 100% sure why raw fooders often need double the calories to achieve the same effect as cooked food does, the only reason i can think of is that raw foods are quicker digesting than cooked food.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 23, 2012 06:07PM

eat when you're hungry

eat what tastes good

eat raw food

macros are irrelevant

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: April 23, 2012 06:59PM

Hi Rising Edge,

There are a lot of problems with Calories, but it’s the best thing we have to date for estimating total Food Intake. A lot of people say that the longer you are Raw that you need less Food and I put that to the Test last year and it is TOTAL BS!!!

I’ve documented everything I’ve eaten for the last 24 years and I’ve even perfected an extremely complicated mathematical equation to monitor my Caloric Activity while I was playing competitive tennis, so this is something I know quite a bit about. I am also still fairly active as I exercised 22 hours last week, so I’m still a pretty good judge from both perspectives.

Now as far as how many Calories we need, there’s an old Equation I use where we take our Lean Body Mass and multiply that by 13.79. This will give us our BMR or RMR and now we have to add our Activity to this. Most people are overweight and since fat does not burn calories, we want to back those pounds off which is why we have to use our Lean Body Mass. Likewise, if we have more muscle than the average person, we still want to stick with our Lean Body Mass.

For example, we could have 2 people who both weigh 200 pounds, but one person is 50% Body Fat and the other is only 5% Body Fat. So the 1st person would need 1379 Calories (100 X 13.79) and the 2nd person would need 2620 Calories (190 X 13.79).

So let’s say your BMR is 2400 and you exercise 4 hours at 500 Calories an hour. Your total Caloric Expenditure for the day would be 4,000 = (100 X 20 = 2000) + (500 X 4 = 2000).

Now is there a difference between Cooked Calories and Raw Calories? Dr. Gabriel Cousens seems to think so…

The Energy of Live Foods by Dr Sir Gabriel Cousens M.D., M.D. (H) D.D.

There is a tremendous amount of extra levels of energy in live foods. One of the studies that most demonstrates this was done in Russia by Dr. Israel Breckman. The experiment was simple. He fed the same mice cooked food and live-food at different times. This was the exact same food and the exact same mice, the only difference was, the food was either cooked or uncooked. He measured the amount of energy and endurance the mice had when they were eating only live foods, and when eating the exact same amounts of food in its cooked state. The mice had three times more energy and endurance on the live-food than when they were eating cooked food. If nutrition were a simple matter of calories, there should not be any difference in endurance and power between eating the live and the cooked food. However, there clearly was a difference in the effect. This is because foods are not simply calories. This calorie paradigm, developed in 1789, is completely out of date, even though it is still being used by people in the nutritional sciences. What is the difference?

Food has subtle nutrients, general nutrients, electrical energies, phytonutrients, enzymes, vitamins, and minerals. The electrical potential for our tissues and cells is a direct result of the liveliness of our cells. Live foods enhance the electrical potential in our cells, between the cells, at the interface of the cell membranes, and at the interface of the cells with the microcapulary electrical charges. When cells have the proper microelectrical potential, they have the power to rid themselves of toxins and maintain their selective capacity to bring appropriate nutrients, oxygen, and hydrogen into the cell, into the nucleus of the cell, as well as to feed the mitochondria. This helps to maintain, repair, and activate the DNA. Professor Hans Eppinger, who was the chief medical director of the first medical clinic at the University of Vienna, found that a live-food diet specifically raised the microelectrical potential throughout the body. He discovered that a live-food diet increases selective capacity of the cells by increasing their electrical potential between the tissue cells and the capillary cells. He saw that live-food significantly improves the intra and extracellular excretion of toxins, as well as absorption of nutrients. He and his co-workers concluded that live foods were the only type of food that could restore microelectrical potential to the tissues. In essence we can say that by restoring electrical potential to cells, live-food rejuvenates the life force and health of the organism.

Peace and Love……….John

PS Children need more Calories and Protein, so if you are still growing, this Equation does not apply to you.

Date: April 23, 2012 10:27PM

Thanks PL.

Fresh, do you think it doesn't matter if one eats a high fat diet as long as it is raw? Is that why you said macros are unimportant? I'm really interested in your views, thanks.

JR, very informative, thanks. I gotta find out what my Lean Body Mass is. And no, I'm done growing. I'm 49 smiling smiley

Today I ate about 2000 cals of fruits and a bagel. From tomorrow I want to go all raw but I must say that I felt full with about 2K cals. I'm just a little concerned if I'm eating enough(even though I'm full). With cooked food I can eat about 1200 or more cals per meal lol.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 24, 2012 10:10PM

>do you think it doesn't matter if one eats a high fat diet as long as it is raw? Is that why you said macros are unimportant?

what i think is that over time, if correct principles are followed,

Thinking is not necessary

what you eat
when you eat
how much you eat
macro %

occurs optimally by paying attention

in other words, i think instead of focusing on
how many calories, or specific foods, or amount of fats,
or Nutients, or alleged superfoods, etc

better to aspire to employ natural principles such as
-wait until you are sufficiently hungry
-eat whole raw fresh foods one at a time
-while insuring proper hydration

i think that we would not tend to eat high fat
not because of some scientific study or cogitating but because
following those principles you will find that hydration
is insufficient on high fat typically.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 25, 2012 02:32AM

Start out at 3,000, maybe, and go from there.
I like 75% from carbs, 10% from protein, 15% from fat (YEARLY AVERAGE)

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 25, 2012 05:37AM

I find that my caloric needs from entering the luteal phase to post-menstruation are double.

But I don't count calories... I just feel and listen. Going raw allowed me to really get in tune with my body and discern what "full" actually feels like. Likewise, if I'm craving a certain food (read: nutrient spectrum), I just go wild and go with it until my body seems to have had enough.

That being said, you never want to be attempting raw and get caught with a shortage of food. :O

I also find fat percentages vary, it seems more natural to eat closer to 8-1-1 in the summer when seasonal, local fruits are in heavenly abundance.

It depends where you live, what you like to do, male/female, body's needs at the moment. Always make sure to get enough, get a variety, and don't ever let the mental urge for "calories" stop you from eating something you intuitively feel you need.

That being said, calories are an interesting GUIDELINE if you want to use a tracker like fitday.com. They're decent for guesstimates. smiling smiley

Date: April 25, 2012 12:23PM

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I appreciate all the advice.

So I ate all raw yesterday. Bananas,dates,Blueberries. All mono meals. At around dinner time I started craving something salty so I ate a stalk of celery, couple of slices of tomatoes and a cuke. That helped.

Thing is, I barely got up to around 1800 cals. I didn't feel hungry though.

Today I think I'm going to eat much more cause I started feeling very hungry since 5am.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 25, 2012 03:28PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Start out at 3,000, maybe, and go from there.
> I like 75% from carbs, 10% from protein, 15% from
> fat (YEARLY AVERAGE)

I would second this advice, it a good place to start. Get a good assortment of fruits and vegetables. You can load up on bananas and dates sometimes if you are having trouble. Drink plenty of water.

Date: April 26, 2012 12:16PM

Thanks WM. I managed to eat about 2700 cals yesterday. I was quite full with that. I guess I'll work my way up slowly. I don't want to force feed.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 26, 2012 07:03PM

it's normal for your appetite to vary. go for weekly, monthly, yearly averages. smiling smiley don't stuff yourself if not hungry! let us know how it's going!

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: April 27, 2012 05:44AM

Best advice: listen to your body!

[fresherthanlife.com]

Date: April 27, 2012 01:28PM

yeah it's varying, UL. Yesterday I hit 2557 according to cronometer. I'll just go with the flow and see what happens. Thanks everyone.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: April 27, 2012 01:36PM

How many calories? Actually, your body does not need calories. Calories are a man-made, abstract concept. Practically, calories do not exist. smiling smiley

We do need food though. How much? As much as your body needs. How do we know how much the body needs? We get hungry.

Calorie counting or hunger?

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: April 28, 2012 03:12PM

you'll feel your right balance. Nuts and seeds are a great way to amp up your calorie intake, but be careful because they can either make or break you! I find I gain weight if I eat too many nuts. everybody has a different balance. If you are looking to lose weight it helps to temporarily remove most nuts and seeds and fat. Focus on fruit and lots of greens! Over time you will require less calories to do and feel the same way. being raw and especially 100% raw increases your body's potentail efficiency. Throw some exercise on top and you will get VERY efficient!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 11, 2012 10:20PM

john rose

great advise ... thanks!

Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: August 12, 2012 04:21AM

rawgosia said it right and I will try to give emphasise to that.

Go to the 100% pure calorie section of your store and buy them in cans, boxes or bags, solid or liquid form, it's your choice. Do not be concerned whatsover about live enzymes, vitamins, faty acids, protiens, nuleic acids, sugars, carbohydrates etc. All you need to live is 100% pure calories. You can flavor your 100% pure calories however you like. I would say as long as you are truly hungry you can eat your 100% pure calories right out of the bag. It's the most simple diet there is. Wildly ROTGLOL

Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: August 12, 2012 05:05AM

The realy new high tech way to get your 100% pure calories is by a new company called Mountain Air Calories. They come in a presurised gas bottle in many different flavors. You simply get your 100% pure calories by breathing them in. It can be "breath taking" after a while though.

And I'm having such a good time!
B2B

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables