Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why does this happen when eating chips?
Posted by: clank72 ()
Date: April 24, 2012 06:29PM

OK.

I'm about 50% Fruit and 35% Veggie and nuts. Been this way for about 2 months and loving it. Every once in a while I get this urge to buy chips and salsa, I guess growing up in Southern california cursed me or something.

I will eat about 3 servings of chips. Now these are "good" tortilla chips with only a few ingredients, corn and salt. EVERY-TIME I do this my whole body feels like it's swelling up. My face, my pants are tighter and the whole bit. I even gain weight. I never feel this way after eating any raw dish or salad.

Can you tell me what is happening here?

Here's my take on it: My first thought is "water" from the sodium. I put Himalayan salt on my salads and never have this effect? Or because the grains are toxic and my body is sucking up fluids to dilute itself?

Thanks a million
-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why does this happen when eating chips?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 24, 2012 06:49PM

Are we talking regular corn chips? "Good" but not raw ones? Because I have read that corn is a common allergen anyhow. And what about GMO? Corn is one of the worst offenders. And God knows what genes are spliced into a Monsatan taco chipsad smiley

Date: April 24, 2012 08:03PM

Yes, just regular corn chips. Not Organic.

So possibly an allergen to chemicals?

Date: April 24, 2012 08:04PM

GMO corn!

Date: April 24, 2012 10:55PM

Ok, so that's it? No other technical explanation?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 24, 2012 11:01PM

You could have trouble digesting corn/GMO corn but I'd suspect the salt. Check out how much there is per serving in the chips and the salsa and compare that to how much you eat per serving of salad. Keep in mind too that all those water filled veggies in the salad off-set the sodium while the chips haven't got any moisture left to do that.
Have you found unsalted chips that you can try for comparison? I'd give it a shot, make some fresh salsa with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar instead of some or all of the salt too. See how that goes smiling smiley.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 24, 2012 11:02PM

Corn chips have corn that has been treated with lye; perhaps you have developed a super sensitivity to things like that?

Date: April 24, 2012 11:02PM

Oh, gross Tam. That's just nasty, foul and nasty.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 25, 2012 02:10AM

Gosh I can relate to this.
In my quest to find a "snacky" food to indulge in,I turned to corn chips and salsa, thinking these would be the least "offensive",and had the same effects...bloating,and just generally not feeling well.Plus I have gout issues and I can feel it go right to my foot.
An alternative is to make your own fresh dehydrated corn chips,and fresh salsa.
Then you know whats in it.
Vinny

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 25, 2012 02:18AM

Can't stress the organic corn enough. BT toxin in GMO corn (read: all corn that is not organic) has been found to cause major organ damage/failure in lab animals. It can also make your own stomach start producing pesticides, too (NO joke!). Not to sound scary... just to please, please, urge you from the bottom of my heart to eat organic corn, for your own sake.

I wish I could get some purple corn. >8)

Sometimes, when I feel snacky for something salsa-ish and don't have the time/resources to make chips, I will make something like a spicy "bean dip" and eat it with celery (crunchy).

The "bean dip" is made of tomatoes, peppers, celery, onion, dates, sundried tomatoes, paprika, cayenne, turmeric (fresh or powdered), black pepper, and sea salt, (maybe a splash of olive oil?) processed to a nice consistency in a food processor (or blender). Then, once that is done, I add sprouted mung beans and lentils and just pulse into the dip to give it a chunky, beany kind of texture.

My point is... You can get creative. >8) Dehydrated foods are a great help, but there are plenty of amazing, tasty, snacky, and ultimately SATISFYING foods you can make without the expensive toys.

Some raw, organic corn might be nice chunked into that recipe, too... grinning smiley

Date: April 25, 2012 08:37PM

Phantom, can you sprout corn kernals?

Date: April 25, 2012 09:07PM

You can sprout some types of corn kernels but I haven't found it a nice taste. Sort of sickeningly sweet and overly corny if you KWIM. Gross.
Nice recipe Phantom, that sounds super tasty!

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 07:15PM

I like the others advice here more but thought I would through this in also. Maybee you are allegic to Aflotoxin! Do you have ANY simular problems with peanuts or cashews? Ditto only eat organic if you can afford it!

It's probably the salt combined with the grains like another said. And if you are slightly allergic to the grains that could inflame your intestine and allow more salt to penetrate the mucosal membrane into your blood stream.

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: April 30, 2012 09:49AM

Stop eating that crap! Could it be more simple? Processed flour products- whether corn or wheat or whatever- are *the worst.* I would have a really strong negative reaction if I ate that stuff, too.
You may have eaten it as a kid, but you're not a kid anymore, and as your body gets used to nourishing whole foods it's going to reject that kind of stuff with increasing clarity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables