Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The truth about microwave ovens.
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 27, 2012 06:32AM

Steamed broccoli loses 11% of antioxidants.

Microwaved broccoli loses 97% of antioxidants.

I'm intuitively envisioning something like an exponential curve that illustrates the further we steer from nature, the worse our suffering may become.

[www.apparentlyapparel.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The truth about microwave ovens.
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 27, 2012 10:03AM

keep in mind how the microwave works. I think the mistery of microvawe is the temperature. With macrowave, the waves go throw the brocoly and heat the water inside all through out. Meanwhile steam uses a gradient and heats up the brocoly from the outer layer. It also depends on how long you microvawe the brocoly. The water inside the cells can reach temperatures way beyond boiling (212F) meanwhile steam brocoly always never goes over 212F. At above 300F there are maliard reactions and above 400F there is decomposition. So microvawe brocoly goes through a lot more changes than steamed

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 27, 2012 02:55PM

I stopped microwaving ANY food long ago.
Radio waves are meant for.....radio.
Not cooking our food.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 27, 2012 03:07PM

Never owned one, never will. It's one of those odd fancy kitchen appliances I find completey superfluous. My silly parents have one though, eating dinner at their place is like a science experiment!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 27, 2012 04:12PM

Panchito, what did you mean by 'maliard?'

Date: April 27, 2012 04:37PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Panchito, what did you mean by 'maliard?'

oops. I misspell it MAILLARD!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Did you know your face is emitting electromagnetic waves? Life would would stop on earth without the heating waves from the sun. It is amazing how the properties of waves change with frequency.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 27, 2012 06:14PM

Thanks. I never heard of the term. I dislike them intensely. In my current apt. there is one included but I have used it maybe 10-20 times in three years.

Date: April 27, 2012 06:23PM

I have one too. It works as a filling space fixture with clock. You could use it to heat water but if you use smooth glass container, then it can blow up in your face (water can superheat and explodes). So, better to keep it as a clock.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 27, 2012 06:25PM

An air tight environment to store dehydrated stuff maybe?

Date: April 27, 2012 06:30PM

Maybe I could use to keep the mosquitos away from the wheat grass tray!

Date: April 27, 2012 07:07PM

But what about the wheatgrass? :O

I dumped mine about eight years ago. That noisy, crusty dehydrator of mine? It's totally worth the wait. <3

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 27, 2012 10:35PM

I don't do a lot of it, since I'm over 90 percent raw. But among cooking it isn't the most harmful method. [www.sciencedaily.com]

Date: April 28, 2012 08:16AM

I'm not so sure about the integrity of the article (not the poster, love you Paul! grinning smiley ). Some fairly differing opinions can be found at nutritiondata.com... Grilling creates carcinogenic compounds, and microwaving creates an insane amount of free radicals.

From what I understand, the higher the temperature, the less natural things remain and the more unnatural things are created.

Ideally, if you must cook, boil and then consume the broth... Isn't that what tea is? smiling smiley

[nutritiondata.self.com]

Edit: Baking is also bad news and frying is the pits!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2012 08:18AM by phantom.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: April 28, 2012 08:26AM

Microwaves create just that..."micro waves" of radiation! You have to stand at least 6 feet away from one to be at a level where the waves won't be picked up by equipment, so what does that tell you?

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: April 29, 2012 06:32AM

I believe that mico waves travel in a straight line, so unless the oven is VERY leaky, then there shouldn't be a problem. Regarding the destruction of nutrients, it's believed that micro waves destroy more nutrients than infared heat (std ovens etc). Ostensibly, infared heat vibrates the water molecules, while micro wave heat spins them. The idea is that the spinning wrecks havoc on the neighbouring nutrient molecules, while the vibrating does less damage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables