Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nut soak confusion
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: April 27, 2012 12:26PM

Ive been checking out some nut soak charts online,

[www.veggiewave.com]

and..

[www.justgoodenergy.com]

What I dont get is the difference between soak times.. Walnuts for example have a difference of 4 hours. Cashews have a 6 hour difference. Which is the correct soak time? Im a little confused.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nut soak confusion
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 27, 2012 01:05PM

The first chart gives times I've seen elsewhere, and they are sufficient to release enzyme inhibitors and to soften the nuts a tad. The second chart will thoroughly soften most of the nuts listed, rendering them perfect for blending, and quickening sprouting, if that's the goal. I'd use the first chart for minimums, and the second for maximums smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 01:05PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: April 27, 2012 02:02PM

Thanks. 1 says macadamia do not need soaking, the other says 12 hours.. any thoughts as to that one? :s

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 07:01PM

Macadamia's also need soaking! Don't worry too much about the large nuts just soak them over night 8 too 12 hrs. will be good. If you live where it is cold you need to soak at least 12 I have even gone to 14 to 16hrs. Smaller stuff like sunflower will be 6 in normal conditions and even smaller like sesame will be 4hrs. You will need to test them out depending on climate and freshness of the nuts. If they are not fresh then soak them less time so they don't start to ferment. Soak and smell and then you could even empty water after a period resoak to see if any more enzyme inhibitors come out! Hasta

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 27, 2012 07:09PM

Different nuts require different soak times... you'll just have to experiment. 4-6 hours is a rule of thumb for me, but if I forget them and leave them overnight it's not a huge deal.

If they start to ferment, blend them up with some water, probiotics, and leave in an open dish on your counter for two days. Then add salt and herbs... NUT CHEESE! YUM! grinning smiley

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: April 28, 2012 02:16PM

the main reason to saok nuts is to neutralize the enzyme inhibitors. Macadamias don't have enzyme inhibitors so they don't need soaking! Generally if the nut has a brown skin, it needs soaking to bring to life. Like almonds,hazelnuts,brazil nuts, walnuts......they all need a good 6-12 hour soak. Nuts like cashews(which aren't raw), or mac nuts or pine nuts etc, these don't need soaking. All seeds contain enzyme inhibitors so we can benefit from soaking them. Yes, the smaller the nut or seed the less time you need to soak them. 4 hours for smaller seeds is fine. over night is a good minimum for nuts!

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 06:36PM

RAWLION Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the main reason to saok nuts is to neutralize the
> enzyme inhibitors. Macadamias don't have enzyme
> inhibitors so they don't need soaking! Generally
> if the nut has a brown skin, it needs soaking to
> bring to life. Like almonds,hazelnuts,brazil nuts,
> walnuts......they all need a good 6-12 hour soak.
> Nuts like cashews(which aren't raw), or mac nuts
> or pine nuts etc, these don't need soaking. All
> seeds contain enzyme inhibitors so we can benefit
> from soaking them. Yes, the smaller the nut or
> seed the less time you need to soak them. 4 hours
> for smaller seeds is fine. over night is a good
> minimum for nuts!

RAWLION,
No disrespect but I am quite sure ALL nuts have enzyme inhibitors in them. Larger nuts need at least 12 hours! unless they are NOT FRESH OR PRONE TO FERMENTATION! Six hours is not enough to get all enzyme inhibitors out of larger nuts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables