Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Breatharian Death
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: April 27, 2012 02:35PM

Woman starves to death in spiritual quest to live on sunlight alone

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Swiss woman dies after attempting to live on sunlight; Woman gave up food and water on spiritual journey

[www.nydailynews.com]

Don't know if Sungazing was a part of her journey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Breatharian Death
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 27, 2012 03:00PM

I guess you could say her spiritual journey meant leaving this world.
But yes,to remain here,you need to consume food and water.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 27, 2012 04:38PM

did they die from emotional attachment then?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 27, 2012 04:43PM

either that or breatharianism is nonsense. Anything on it in pub-med? No. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Crocodiles can manipulate their systems in times of famine to reduce caloric needs. Extremely resilient. Been around a lot longer than we have. But you still have to have a source of energy, stored or otherwise. When was the last time you saw a conventional non-electric non-solar car engine run without gas?

Date: April 27, 2012 04:48PM

even a plant dries out and dies. I guess their hearts stopped.

Date: April 27, 2012 05:44PM

Here's more information -

[www.heraldsun.com.au]

"She reassured her concerned children that she would stop fasting if it became dangerous but she was found dead by them at her home last winter."

So if she died last winter, why is it big new today. What took so long...

"This was the fourth known death linked to breatharianism and Jasmuheen's books since the practice emerged in the early 90s."

There should be a law...how about we ban her books smiling smiley

Date: April 27, 2012 06:28PM

maybe they needed to be supervised like when fasting. But would it be practical to be supervised by another bretharian? Who else would understand?

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 27, 2012 07:04PM

The credible cases of temporary breatharians are the ones I find interesting, experiencing inedia as a SIDE EFFECT of an explosive spiritual experience (note, it does not last forever).

I think there is a degree of being seriously misguided when you miss the cause and strive for the side effects... so to speak. IMHO, it's like other kinds of strange spontaneous healing, those moments under stress when humans can suddenly lift cars, something that seriously alters the flow of consciousness. It CAN happen, but the odds of it happening incidentally are much higher than it being induced.

Jasmuheen also drinks juice... and spent a lot of time darkrooming and drinking Ayahuasca. I think she has her darkroom diaries published online, you can read them for free. Intensely fascinating.

Another really profound book (you can find for free online) is called "Lifestyle Without Food" by Joachim Werdin (sp?). She talks about temporary states of inedia as a side effect of spiritual revelation, and... the part that I find the absolutely most fascinating and compelling element of breatharianism... is the idea that "I am The Consciouss and this is my creation." Total responsibility, total ownership for all your experiences, and a total kind of meshing with your state of life experience that supersedes any other paradigm I've encountered to date.

Not that I aspire to become a breatharian, I am very much enamored with food... but the idea of being SO INTENSELY AWARE of my own life, spiritually, down to every little detail is what fascinates me the most.

BTW, it was in the news again that a devout follower of Jesus went out for a walk on water and never returned. It's the same thing: does one man's death invalidate an entire belief system? What can we learn from these people? How can we bring our ideas down into the earth/material plane... and make them work for us?

That's why I like raw food, it's a total embodiment of animism that integrates easily into my lifestyle, strengthens my lifeforce, and strengthens the planet by my practice of it, so it reinforces the animism and is a win => win => win. grinning smiley

Date: April 27, 2012 08:36PM

I'm skeptical of it as a sustainable way of life. And if it is not sustainable, i don't know how you distinguish it from fastings or dry fasting. Temporary breatharians? What does that mean? I thought whole point was you didn't need food or water.

Can we learn something from their experience? Sure. Is it a sustainable way of life over a lifetime? That's what I'm not sure about. It certainly would be easy enough to test.

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Scientific basisNutritional science indicates that fasting for extended periods leads to starvation, dehydration, and eventual death. Carbohydrates, fats, and proteins are the body's only observed sources of energy.[1][2][3] In the absence of calorie intake, the body normally burns its own reserves of glycogen, body fat, and muscle. Breatharians claim that their bodies do not consume these reserves while fasting.[4]

Few breatharians have submitted themselves to medical testing; of those that have, including a hospital's observation of an Indian mystic surviving without food or water for 15 days,[5] none have undergone peer review with results independently reproduced. In a handful of documented cases, individuals attempting breatharian fasting have died,[6][7][8] and among the claims investigated by the Indian Rationalist Association, all were found to be fraudulent.[9]

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 27, 2012 08:58PM

"Bretharian" is a wrong term. Those people live of the food from the Sun. I am sure that is possible, but not everyone can do it. It has been proven over and over, even here in America. After they prove that it is possible, official media simply shuts up and does not ever mention it again.

Date: April 27, 2012 09:11PM

rab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Bretharian" is a wrong term. Those people live of
> the food from the Sun. I am sure that is possible,
> but not everyone can do it. It has been proven
> over and over, even here in America. After they
> prove that it is possible, official media simply
> shuts up and does not ever mention it again.

Citation? Reference? kind of the same question RawGosia asked a while back.

Do we even have one documented case study published and peer reviewed? It seems implausible. rab, you say you know it is possible? Can you share with us?

Paul

Date: April 28, 2012 12:20AM

I will send you links when I have time...plenty of them.

Date: April 28, 2012 12:38AM

Posted by: merry ()
Date: April 28, 2012 04:06AM

I think its very dangerous to teach / attempt such type of practices before the body and mind are ready for them....I do believe its rarely possible though

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: April 28, 2012 08:29AM

I've never seen any proof tongue sticking out smiley

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 28, 2012 03:17PM

Don't see how breathariansim is biologically possible, but who knows? As far as the cases linked to are concerned, it is a strange biology that will starve itself to death . . . .

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 06:45PM

phantom and rab, I liked you posts good thinking! I have not seen the video yet I will go to it now.

Date: April 29, 2012 01:21AM

Well, if not eating food FOR WEEKS under the supervision of American doctors in PA is not a proof...what would be one?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 29, 2012 02:24AM

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: April 30, 2012 09:45AM

Ayahuasca is good, but "breatharianism" is absolutely tragic, pseudo-spirituality. We're alive beings; we eat. Why the fuss? It's a elitist, dangerous, phony spirituality.

Date: April 30, 2012 04:44PM

omega-3 - and you say this after you did an extensive research on 'sungazing'? Or...not?

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: April 30, 2012 04:46PM

if sungazing was so nourishing why are these people so skinny?

Date: April 30, 2012 10:16PM

I'd love to be a breatharian, but if I did it cold turkey, I'd die, too. So right now I'm going for 100% raw, the daylight diet, then maybe I'll transition to liquidarian, then juice fasts, then just water. But any time I start getting too skinny, I start eating more again. I think someone who's overweight on regular food, and has some meat on their bones on all raw may be able to, but a skinny raw foodist probably can't be a breatharian in this lifetime.

Posted by: Rising Edge ()
Date: April 30, 2012 10:40PM

maybe that was her goal- to be a breatharian until she died..however short the time may be.

Date: April 30, 2012 11:07PM

The point is not to 'stop eating', if I understand them well. The point is to get the food from other source. There are hundreds of thousands of people who practice 'Sun gazing' and only a few stopped eating. I believe that 'Sun gazing' is healthy, good habit. I also believe that, in order to stop eating food, one has to have a very, very balanced life, be in total harmony with the nature...etc. So, nobody should just try that, this should come naturally and I believe it is only possible for a few people. These people think it was easy but they should not advise anyone else to do that, since it is dangerous for most of the people to attempt to feed on Sun only.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 01, 2012 12:24AM

I fully believe it is possible for a very few people. From around four decades of experience, fasting etc., and after reading many books and talking to many people, and recently reading Jerico Sunfire's book and watching his vids, I'm inclined to believe. I remember when he posted on here, Jerico was a fruitarian for ages prior to transitioning to liquidarianism etc. He said that for him, it was a calling and not something he had decided for himself. Moreover, it had taken him decades to achieve it. But one thing that he said, was that his body was now very good at recycling.

The raw materials from used cells are re-used to build new cells etc. Also, no-one is really living without water, as we breath in water vapour with each breath, don't we? And perhaps we CAN draw energy from the sun? Arnold Ehret always goes on about 'blockages' in our bodies that prevent us from performing certain functions well or not at all.

So it stands to reason, that if we remove these blockages, perhaps we can then utilise some of these hitherto unbelievable functions, such as being able to use sun energy or to re-cycle much more efficiently. Imagine being able to have within us a massive increase of energy that may have been blocked all our lives, and to be able to control it. Imagine if we could do that, perhaps we could change our polarity, or increase a certain polarity in a particular part of our body, that would enable us to say, walk on water, much like what happens when we try to put negative and negative or positive and positive ends of a magnet together!!!

We don't know what we don't know...... winking smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 02, 2012 06:33AM

i have to wonder if we are not meant to eat/drink . .. then why do we have a mouth, digestive system, urinary tract and anus ...surely these arent just here for the helluva it ... otherwise we'd just have eyes and lungs if thats all we needed?

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 06:35AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 02, 2012 12:41PM

Yes of course Jodi, I agree. But perhaps humans are capable of more than the basics??? Now if you believe in evolution, then whose to say that we haven't evolved additional way to survive?

And if you believe in creation, than why wouldn't our creator want us to enjoy all the pleasures of this world, such as food flaviours and textures, the enjoyment of growing food, preparing a meal and eating eating it with friends and family etc.

I've seen and done some pretty amazing things throughout my life, and so I try to keep an open mind to what I don't know, and even if I think I do know.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: May 02, 2012 02:48PM

This is somewhat off topic, but I could not help but reflect on how my last Juice Feast relates to this thread. I have made the habit of usually doing a 30 Day Juice Feast once a year just to remind myself that Not Eating Solid Food is actually MORE FUN than eating. I actually went 72 days this last time so I could say that I have Juice Fasted or Juice Feasted for over 1000 days in the last 20 years, a 1005 days on 136 different occasions to be exact.

Anyway, the point I want to make is that I was reflecting during my last JF that very few people ever experience what it’s like to have a completely empty Food Tube. If you’re eating properly, which we all know very few people do, everything we eat today should be out of us tomorrow, but many times it might take the 1st meal of the day to get rid of the last meal from yesterday.

So once again, very few people ever get to experience what this sensation is like and I know from experience that there is no greater feeling than having a completely empty Food Tube.

Peace and Love..........John

Date: May 02, 2012 04:05PM

I believe in being open to new experience while retaining a healthy skeptical perspective. And my gut tells me that breatharianism is not possible as a sustainable way of life. Even assuming this nun did exactly what her monitors said, which I question, it would only amount to an extended dry fast with a cracker, not breatharianism. Can you survive with just air for a prolonged period of time? Fine, publish it under controlled conditions with neutral observers. What is, is.

Paul

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables