Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sesame seed milk and Poppy Seed Milk, are they healthy?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 30, 2012 12:44AM

I came across an interesting site regarding sesame seed milk and poppy seed milk. I have made hemp seed milk, almond milk and walnut milk, but never sesame or poppy seed milk.

Does anyone have experience with making these? Is the poppy seed milk sedative? Thanks.

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sesame seed milk and Poppy Seed Milk, are they healthy?
Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: April 30, 2012 02:49AM

Oh, I know where you're coming from Paul..I think haha, poppy as in it maybe has some affiliation with the opium poppy.

Don't know bro, but I think it's good to ask these things, as there are many poisons within foods albeit in very small quantities, and there's usually no problem. However, I heard of a guy who died cause he loved apple seeds, and saved up a whole cup full to eat on his birthday, and it killed him due to the cyanide content.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 30, 2012 12:26PM

It depends on the poppy, I think.

In the Old Country, the rural peopl would collect common field poppy seeds, crush them and simmer them in water to extract the opiods. The cooled decoction was then fed to babies by bottle to keep them "mellow" while their parents worked out in the fields.

I think I have written elsewhere here about how my maternal grandmother was on a womens league that went into the villages to teach hygiene to country women and one of the bees in their bonnets was that the infants were being stupefied by poppy seed milk to the point where neurological development was being stunted. The farms these people worked on weren't their own, and the foreign overlords demanded ever greater harvests, so baby had to be dosed ever more frequently. It became a regional social welfare problem, according to my baba.

Last week I noticed California Poppy tincture at the register of my local health food store, and I was told it was an analgesic. So I would assume that no kind of poppy "milk" is analogous to almond or other seed milk, Paul.

Date: April 30, 2012 01:43PM

Thanks Tamara,

I have run a batch just to see how it tastes. Point taken that not all poppies are created equal. On Dr. Fuhrman's board they are recommending portion control, unlike hemp milk which has virtually no THC, poppy seeds can contain dilute opiates. Here was Dr. Benson's - one of Dr. Fuhrman's medical associates- comment in response to why poppy seed consumption should be limited.

Thread: Poppy seeds, flax seeds & other seeds!
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 12:49 PM #5
Dr. Benson
Medical Team

"They contain very low levels of opiates (morphine-like drug), but the occasional small amount used as part of one's diet doesn't need to be avoided for this reason. It may become an issue for some that are eating a very large amount of them regularly, but that is all."

I joked on the board on how in the Wizard of Oz, the Wicked Witch of the West used poppies to put Dorothy and company to sleep. That was 1938 I think. Somehow the connection didn't get to the censors. I was opining and laughing if they had to make it today if the WWW could get away with using poppies. lol.

Paul

Date: April 30, 2012 01:45PM

The other obvious risk is that it could produce false positives on drug tests for those in the job market, those seeking employment in sensitive positions or others similarly situated. But the dose is the poison.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: April 30, 2012 02:31PM

These seeds have very little water so how you make milk out of them is an interesting quest.

Date: April 30, 2012 02:38PM

Well, I soaked them for eight hours first. So by the time they got into the blender... they had plenty of water, though hadn't germinated. Most nuts and seeds don't have much water. But we make nut and seed milks all the time, that's what the added water is for! smiling smiley

Sesame seed milk I'm told doesn't taste that good. But anxious to try it on my own. My current batch of poppy seed milk is cooling in the fridge. Plan to try some tonight just straight, no vanilla, no sweetner.

I'm trying to reestablish my natural tastebuds... eliminating all artificial or natural sweetners other than is what is fresh fruit. I do not know if it is possible to reestablish taste buds after they have been overly sensitized. I know it won't happen over night.

Paul

Date: April 30, 2012 03:27PM

The water in soaked seeds is not in symbiotic relationship with the seed. This is not a water of the seed. Not like making milk from young coconut. This is not milk but colored water with very little nutritional value given that the most nutritious part is dicarded.

Date: April 30, 2012 03:35PM

Madinah,

I'm not sure I understand your point. Also not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that most nutritious part goes with the pulp, not that I waste my seed pulp mind you. I use it all. But what is the basis for assuming that most of the nutrition goes with the pulp instead of the milk?

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 03:37PM by pborst.

Date: April 30, 2012 03:48PM

If you are using the water and the pulp then you are ok, most would strain it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 03:49PM by madinah.

Date: April 30, 2012 03:54PM

I do strain the milk. I use the pulp in crackers. So, maybe the same bottom line. Not sure about the milk/pulp partitioning assumptions though apart obviously that the fiber goes to the pulp.

Date: April 30, 2012 04:05PM

crackers of what? how do you make them

Date: April 30, 2012 04:30PM

either flax crackers or manna bread. I save almond pulp also, sometimes freeze it if I don't need a batch. How to make them? Lots of material on that but basically a food processor, (flax, chia other) whole seed, pulp (green pulp, other pulp), other (dates, golden raisins... or no sweetner), and water. process and score on dehydrator sheets. Dry until done.

Paul

Date: April 30, 2012 04:36PM

Thanks for the info, will look into it and try it.
My problem in the past with dehydrators is that too much energy is being spent to get the important water out of the food

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 04:42PM by madinah.

Date: April 30, 2012 04:55PM

well, I guess you could always add poppy seeds into smoothies if you have the right blender.

Paul

Date: April 30, 2012 04:57PM

You are right, that is exactly what I do, I put some seeds into my smoothies.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: April 30, 2012 11:28PM

Ostensibly, taste bud cells have a high turn over rate, and are replaced around every two weeks (so I read somewhere). Therefore, it shouldn't be long before our normal, natural preferences show through.

However Paulus...I'd think that your preferred tastes would have been established ages ago, unless you've kept eating the things that you craved when you began your raw vegan lifestyle. Oh, I don't mean you kept eating say chocolate, but perhaps substituting the sweetness of chocolate with say very sweet fruits or maybe 'raw' chocolate etc.

I know that's what I did, but my tastes did eventually begin to change regardless.

Peace, jalanutan winking smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 01, 2012 11:47AM

Paul, caution: My people use poppyseeds liberally at the holidays, and one ritual dish has a base of poppyseed milk made by soaking and then grinding black poppyseeds. Having gotten slightly high off two large servings of this food in a single day, I would not eat "milked"--that is, rehydrated and ground poppyseeds--in quantity again. One never knows how one's system will respond.

Date: May 01, 2012 03:15PM

Good advice as always Tamara. I may just use the whole seed in salads or salad dressing since it would be smaller amounts. Opiates are nothing to fool around with, even at low doses.

Date: May 01, 2012 04:25PM

To wit.. [www.snopes.com]

Date: May 01, 2012 04:46PM

Cannot play video at work, what is the message?

Date: May 01, 2012 05:12PM

it basically says if you innocently eat poppy seeds on bagels or muffins (not something most raw vegans do), you can get a false positive on a drug test. Or in plain english, if you get a drug test, the test could say you are using heroin, mopheine, opium even though you aren't. The article goes on to say that prisoners as part of parole conditions have to agree not to eat food with poppy seeds. The article says this is to prevent the prisoners from creating an excuse if they get a positive result.

That's basically it.

paul

Date: May 01, 2012 07:58PM

so whole unsterilized hemp seeds are illegal even though they don't contain enough thc to do anything. but poppy seeds that contain enough dilute opiates to get a false positives are legal. Who's minding the store?

Obama in 12....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 08:02PM by pborst.

Date: May 01, 2012 09:52PM

Interesting, thanks

Date: May 02, 2012 12:03AM

you're welcome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables