Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

gray hair and vitamin b?
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: October 18, 2006 05:26AM

i was told gray hair is related to vitamin b deficiency. Is there any truth to this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gray hair and vitamin b?
Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: October 18, 2006 05:03PM

I heard it was related to a copper deficiency.

Old age?

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: October 18, 2006 05:09PM

From what I know - it can be. Most alcoholics have gray/white hair and alcohol destroys b vitamins - among other things.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 18, 2006 06:03PM

On a side note, B vitamins are present in high quanities in high quality beers. Look in the bottom of good bottle of beer and you will see some sediment, this is the yeast 'shells' which are very high in the B vitamins. Many people don't like to drink it since it's 'different' from the rest of beer, but I make sure to drink the bottom of the bottle. winking smiley

Ian.

Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: October 18, 2006 07:49PM

what makes me question the health of the fruitarian diet is when someone comes on and posts and says they've been eating fruitarian for a year and now their hair is turning grey.

does detox always go away and would grey hair be part of detox?

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: October 18, 2006 10:06PM

confuzed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what makes me question the health of the
> fruitarian diet is when someone comes on and posts
> and says they've been eating fruitarian for a year
> and now their hair is turning grey.
>
> does detox always go away and would grey hair be
> part of detox?

Where did you hear this?

Date: October 18, 2006 10:42PM

people have posted stories about how after months/years of eating a certain way, sometimes fruitarian, their hair starts turning grey and/or starts falling out. this scares me so much..

also Doug Graham is an example he has grey hair but he is a fruitarian

Posted by: Raine ()
Date: October 18, 2006 10:44PM

THIS seems to be the one subject that has the least info on it -- how to preserve one's hair color for the longest possible time.

I have natural auburn and I want to keep it natural for as long as possible because otherwise it's going to cost me a bloody fortune to get it colored right!

If anyone has any feedback on maintainng natural color - this vain, shallow girl would greatly appreciate it!

~raine~

Date: October 18, 2006 10:53PM

its probably the sun that causes it to grey. the sun destorys lots of things. it mutates the dna in skin cells so it probably greys hair over time just like it wrinkles and sags skin over time

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: October 19, 2006 12:09AM

Raine-
you're cracking me up!
my mother-in-law is/was red. she went white soon after i married in. she's still dying it, but cannot get it right.

if she finds a way, i'll let you know!

i wonder if the sun is related. though my family has been very sun-exposed for generations, and the men go white around fifty and then live until 90, but the women seems to keep color until their seventies and then wither up until we forget how old they are b/c they've been around so long. my grandma started frosting streaks to look more 'mature', and my mother has nothing like grey in her hair. we've eaten greek style food my entire life, and spent part of our life in the mediterraean. and there, raine, they've been using henna since time immemorial.

and i take some sun whenever i can, like a dose of joy. it makes my scars fade and my wounds heal quicker. not a lot, but a little goes a long way.

peace-

Date: October 19, 2006 12:12AM

confuzed Wrote:
> people have posted stories about how after
> months/years of eating a certain way, sometimes
> fruitarian, their hair starts turning grey and/or
> starts falling out. this scares me so much..

Care to cite any examples? I'm very skeptical of your claims that there is a link between fruitarians and grey hair. For one everybody turns grey if they like long enough, some people do it in their 20s, some in their 50s. For two, there is a lot of BS posted to this board, so I wouldn't really put a lot of weight behind certains claims unless they are well documented and backed up.

Ian.

Date: October 19, 2006 12:26AM

here are some stories..

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

this brings up the fact that the whole raw lifestyle might not be good longterm, it can age you.. (its in the thread, im just paraphrasing)

Date: October 19, 2006 12:45AM

Those don't appear to be from fruitarians, in fact of three examples, only one if from somebody claiming to have gotten "a few" grey hairs at 31, which doesn't supprise me at all, I had a couple of grey hairs at 31 (before becoming raw). There really isn't anything to go there...

I'm starting to think you are just spreading F.U.D. to discredit and cause confusion about fruitarians.

Again, can you cite some examples to back up your claim of link between fruitarians and grey hair?

Ian.

Date: October 19, 2006 02:13AM

why would i be trying to sabotage all the fruitarians. omg its such a conspiracy. come on you guys lol you always accuse me of wacko stuff like sabotaging fruitarians and trying to destory the cause.

im just very skeptical because i've been thru lots of crap in my life and i like to see both sides of things and present viewpoints both for and against this lifestyle to cause minds to think .. .. ..

Posted by: mark58 ()
Date: October 19, 2006 04:00AM

>>Confuzed writes...im just very skeptical because i've been thru lots of crap in my life and i like to see both sides of things and present viewpoints both for and against this lifestyle to cause minds to think .. .. ..<<

Excuse me, I thought you were a teenager... exactly how much crap have you been thru at such a young age?

Look, you're going to get old no matter what, and you're going to die. Live with it. The more you worry about these things the fast it will happen.

I read that Dr. Wigmore's hair returned to its natural color after years of being on the raw foods diet.

Date: October 19, 2006 04:05AM

actually.. that whole ann wigmore thread is scary. it talks about how the long -term fruitarians are very sick and one of the reasons they succeed shorterm is because vitamin B12 is stored in the body it can be stored for years and years so some people aren't seeing the destructiveness until years later after doing the raw thing... sad smiley some food for thought

Date: October 19, 2006 10:13PM

confuzed Wrote:
> why would i be trying to sabotage all the
> fruitarians. omg its such a conspiracy. come on
> you guys lol you always accuse me of wacko stuff
> like sabotaging fruitarians and trying to destory
> the cause.

Not accuse you of anything, just saying what I am seeing.

What I see is that you've got nothing to back up you're claims that fruitarianism causes grey hair, but you're still willing to shout it out. Right now I call bullshit, and you are not answering my requests for better support material.

Ian.

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: October 19, 2006 11:45PM

I don't care if I turn grey someday. In fact, I think it is a sign of wisdom. We will all be old someday, no raw food diet will prevent that. Guess what, we will all die someday too. As of natural causes or something else. Fate is fate. So you might as well enjoy life and not be worried and stress about things, because that MIGHT cause grey, too. So just take it easy and eat what you like. Eat and be merry and enjoy life to it's fullest. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2006 11:45PM by shep252.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 20, 2006 02:16AM

Actually, the latest SCIENTIFIC research proves that the real cause of B12 deficiency is too much stress caused by efforts to discredit other people's choices, see: this.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables