Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Avocados
Posted by: TerrryR ()
Date: May 14, 2012 02:37AM

Just how good are avocados. I have read that they can reduce LDL cholesterol
pretty quickly. I'm interested in any feedback that anyone has.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Avocados
Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 14, 2012 04:33AM

Well, I'm really not sure what type of 'fat' avo's have, but they're a non-processed fruit and natural. Now that's a big plus when wanting to get a little 'fat' back in your diet I reckon.

jalan

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: May 14, 2012 04:38AM

TerrryR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just how good are avocados.

Avocados are very important to a Raw Foodist, and are our best source of Fat....even better than Walnuts. Avocados should not be eaten everyday, or even every week. Ripe ones are very creamy, and quite tasty. A good way to eat Avocado is to drink 12 to 16 ounces of Water first, then eat the whole Avocado by itself...nothing else with it. Puting cut Fruit into a Refrigerator just makes for a big mess, and loss of nutrients......WY

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 14, 2012 04:52AM

WY, wouldn't various nuts etc., each have something unique to offer on their own? Like, I have forgotten, but don't walnuts have something specific in them??

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 14, 2012 02:23PM

Just eat them - they are gorgeous - everyday in my opinion smiling smiley

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: May 14, 2012 02:33PM

I eat about 2 or 3 a month,in the form of a dip for celery sticks.
I consider them a "treat", and not for every single day.
I am under the impression they are full of good things.?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2012 02:34PM by eaglefly.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: May 14, 2012 07:23PM

TerrryR They are freaking awsome for your health. At HHI they say not to eat too many because of the fat but if you are healthy go at it. I know very healthy raw foodists who eat many per day. The only problem I see is that they are not usually ripened on the tree, and that is not a good thing. I am really in tune with the food I eat and Avacado's just have not been that great for the most part. Try to eat them in season and I usually don't even buy them unless they are already some what ripe. It's a horrible situation that we are in with food. Sometimes I get really good ones but it is a crap shoot and they are pricey. If you are eating organic then many times I find it is a waste of money because of the quality.
I would have to disagree with WheatgrassYogi a little because what I just stated the ripeness of them. At least the Walnuts are ripe when they are harvested.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 14, 2012 08:47PM

avocados are a super food!! One a day will never hurt you, and will help you. If you are trying to lose weight, 1 avocado a day is all the fat you should ever eat. Their is more potassium in an avocado than in a banana!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 14, 2012 11:55PM

I also think that avocados are superior to nuts, in some ways, especially if trying to LOSE weight, because they're still more than 90% water. The density of nuts bothers some people sometimes.

My man loves avocados, but he used to really suffer with IBS, so the density of too much nutty food can get a bit overwhelming. Never a problem with avocados, though.

They're also amazing in smoothies to make "milkshakes!" They're so versatile.

I'm sure I eat one every day, between having a smoothie for breakfast and a salad at night... I think if they were supposed to make you gain weight, I'd have gained by now. tongue sticking out smiley

More raw plant foods and less animal products will lower cholesterol, period. So if eating an avocado satisfies you in a special way that only a high-cholesterol animal product otherwise would and you swap them, that's a positive change. The more positive changes you make, the more positive everything will become over time... smiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 15, 2012 12:40AM

Another thing I find amazing: a typical avo has 5 grams of PROTEIN and 14 grams of FIBER!!! That is extremely cool!

Man, I have been making puddings lately. I made chocolate pudding the other day and my guy wanted two of them in the same night. I just bought some limes and am gonna attempt a lime pie!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 15, 2012 08:42AM

ooh - can you put up the recipe for that chocolate pudding please smiling smiley

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: May 15, 2012 01:24PM

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 15, 2012 11:34PM

Flipperjan, I just improvised. Actually, I must admit that I added some vanilla soymilk because it was way too thick by itself. Basically, I blended two avocados, vanilla soymilk, a little extra vanilla bean powder, a handful of raisins and some cocoa powder (I still have to find out how it differs from raw cacao. I bought it from Trader Joe's, it was really inexpensive with no additive--and no Dutch process). I also used raw carob powder the first time I made it. To keep it totally raw, you could add your fave nut or seed milk. Maybe even young coconut water!

Posted by: rawchefdosa ()
Date: May 16, 2012 07:30AM

I just got back from visiting an Avocado Farm in Southern CA. Avocados are such a healthy fat- I could not image life with enjoying an Avocado in my diet!

Posted by: TerrryR ()
Date: May 17, 2012 02:39AM

Thanks for the responses. I cut them up and squeeze a full lemon over them.
Amazing that something so delicious can reduce your cholesterol !!

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: May 19, 2012 06:21PM

TerrryR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the responses. I cut them up and
> squeeze a full lemon over them.
> Amazing that something so delicious can reduce
> your cholesterol !!

Just a thought, if you have digestine problems or yeast don't use the lemon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables