Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lugols iodine solution
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 16, 2012 01:54PM

Hey, do you have an opinion on this?

[www.lugols.com]

it improves:

sleep, stress
endurance
cures Hypothyroidism

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lugols iodine solution
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: May 16, 2012 05:02PM

That’s an interesting article…thanks for sharing. Dr. Max Gerson was a big fan of Lugol’s Solution and he said that all disease is due to Toxicity and Deficiency and to heal we need to Detoxify and Rebuild. The 2 Organs we need to Detoxify are the Colon and the Liver and the 2 Deficiencies we need to address are Potassium and Iodine. To Cleanse the Colon he used 13 - 8 ounce glasses of Juice and to Cleanse the Liver he used 4 to 5 Coffee Enemas a day. And then, to address those 2 Deficiencies related to Potassium and Iodine he used a 10% Potassium Solution that he perfected and Lugol’s Solution of Iodine. Gerson also said that all Chronic Disease begins with a loss of Potassium on a Cellular Level and that Salt would displace both the Potassium and Iodine and should be avoided on his Protocol.

Here is a snippet from my file on The Gerson Institute and take a note of the Iodine and Potassium %s:

Lugol’s Solution: Dosage: First 3-4 weeks only: 3 drops in each of 6 orange and carrot/apple juices (6 x 3 daily). Never put Lugol in green juice! This is the way that an additional intake of iodine is obtained by the body. Lugol’s is always used in half-strength, and only during the first weeks of therapy. Lugol’s solution contains 5% iodine and 10% potassium iodide in water.

Peace and Love………John

Date: May 16, 2012 08:08PM

Many thanks!!

Toxicity (Colon,Liver) + Deficiency (K, I)

I think I'll give a try to see if I fish a deficiency smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 17, 2012 09:23AM

Lugols is a solid iodine supplement but it is no cure all like it is made out to be on the iodine sites, these sites would have you believe replacing iodine was the cure for everything.

Can be helpful though especially on a raw vegan diet which is often low or sometimes even deficient in iodine if produce was grown in poor soil.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: May 17, 2012 06:55PM

I found some historical perspective to the use of lugols iodine solution:

[iodine4health.com]

"During the first half of the 20th century, almost every U.S. physician used Lugol solution for iodine supplementation in his/her practice for both hypo- and hyperthyroidism, and for many other medical conditions. In the old pharmacopeias, Lugol solution was called Liquor Iodi Compositus. The minimum dose called minim, was one drop containing 6.25 mg of elemental iodine, with 40% iodine and 60% iodide as the potassium salt. The recommended daily intake for iodine supplementation was 2 to 6 minims (drops) containing 12.5 to 37.5 mg elemental iodine.

"During the second half of the 20th century, iodophobic misinformation disseminated progressively and deceitfully among the medical profession resulted in a decreased use of Lugol, with iodized salt becoming the standard for iodine supplementation.

"The bioavailable iodide from iodized salt is only 10% and the daily amount of iodide absorbed from iodized salt is 200 to 500 times less than the amount of iodine/iodide previously recommended by U.S. physicians.

"After World War II, U.S. physicians were educated early in their medical career to believe that inorganic non-radioactive forms of iodine were toxic.

"Adverse reactions to radiographic contrast media and other iodine-containing drugs were blamed on iodine. If a patient told his/her physician that he/she could not tolerate seafood, the physician told him/her that he/she was allergic to iodine."

"Whole body sufficiency for iodine correlated well with overall wellbeing, and some subjects could tell when they achieved sufficiency even before knowing the results of the test. Iodine sufficiency was associated with a sense of overall wellbeing, lifting of a brain fog, feeling warmer in cold environments, increased energy, needing less sleep, achieving more in less time, experiencing regular bowel movements and improved skin complexion. In some subjects with overweight or obesity, orthoiodosupplementation resulted in weight loss, decreased percent body fat and increased muscle mass.

"Following orthoiodosupplementation, increased urinary excretion of the goitrogens fluoride and bromide and the toxic metals mercury, lead, cadium and aluminum was observed; marked improvement of fibrocystic disease of the breast occurred following 3 months of iodine supplementation at 50 mg/day. In 3 patients with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome with olygomeuorrhea, orthoiodosupplementation resulted in regularization of the menstrual cycle.

Date: May 18, 2012 02:08PM

Another small bit of very interesting thyroid evolution from our past sea life smiling smiley

I think raw vegans should watch out for this important element (I) more so than B12 since we don't eat much from the sea but that's where we came from

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Evolution

Phylogenetically, thyroid cells are derived from primitive iodide-concentrating gastroenteric cells. Given the essential nature of iodine compounds in living organisms, organisms moving from iodine-rich seas to iodine-deficient land needed stronger systems for uptake and storage of that element. The thyroid appears to have evolved to serve that need. Venturi et al.[5] suggested that iodide has an ancestral antioxidant function in all iodide-concentrating cells from primitive algae to more recent vertebrates. In 2008, this ancestral antioxidant action of iodides has been experimentally confirmed by Küpper et al.[6] Thyroxine has a 700 million year history. It is present, while showing no hormonal action, in the fibrous exoskeletal scleroproteins of the lowest invertebrates, Porifera and Anthozoa. The active hormone, triiodothyronine (T3), became active in metamorphosis and thermogenesis, allowing for better adaptation of organisms to terrestrial environment (fresh water, atmosphere, gravity, temperature and diet)."

Date: May 21, 2012 10:49AM

Hey, I want to report HUGE improvements after taking iodine supplement. This is the most impacting supplement ever (at least for me). Forget about the b12 stuff.

As soon as I took it (20 minutes later) you can feel it change everything. I must have been deficient for a loooong time.

So things to look for:

If you need to sleep + 8 hours a day (ie. if you are doing the 80/10/10) you are probably deficient.

If your sleep is light you are probably deficient

If you get irritated easy you are probbaby deficient

If you don't have top performance in the gym you are probably deficient

If you don't feel great in a raw food diet you are probably deficient

I am using the 2% solution (not the 5%) of the link above. the other day I took four drops disolved in water. I am following up with two drops every other day. Shipping arrived next day (for me).

Date: May 21, 2012 11:34AM

Just in case, I forgot to add that I also eat:

~ 1 or 2 Brazilian nuts a day (night) for Selenium

~ 5 to 8 almonds a day (night) for Magnesium

(Mg and Se are related to iodine somehow)

Without selenium and magnesium, the effects of iodine are lesser according with litterature.

Date: May 21, 2012 12:02PM

Iodine is quite a common deficiency especially in vegans as the most common best food sources are all non-vegan i.e dairy, eggs etc. Sea vegetables are the best source of iodine overall because they come with the supporting trace elements and other nutrition.

Good to hear you are having benefits Panchito.

An article i did a while back on living vegan and iodine - [vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: May 21, 2012 12:48PM

thanks!

I had taken iodine before in the form of a multivitamin but apparently it was useless. Even thought it was an expensive multivitamin, it apparently did not meet the needs or was not absorbed. I've also been taking seawweds and they also did not meet my needs (or don't know what). It wasn't till I took this solution that I became aware of the deficiency and its effects. I have no business/money relation to this stuff. I am just stating my findings with the hope to help others.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 21, 2012 03:24PM

After a long, depressing winter of inactivity and eating off diet my thyroid is unbalanced. I'm treating myself with some adrenal support and Lugol's iodine, we'll see how it goes when I get retested. Fingers crossed activity and these supplements are the solution for me. I'll report back.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 25, 2012 09:04AM

john rose

just interested in why you say to not take the lugol's with green juice
what are the contraindications for this combination

panchito

am intrigued to know what positive changes took place
could you describe them

powerlifter

i like the idea of taking kelp for B12
just wondering though if u took lugol's and what was your effect?

coco

let us know how it goes

Date: May 25, 2012 09:28AM

Seaweed really only has B12 analogs la_veronique and as such they aren't of much use, i wouldn't rely on it as a sole B12 source anyway.

Ive tried lugols and its a solid supplement as far as iodine goes, same goes for iodoral etc. Sea vegetables or other iodine rich foods are enough for most but for someone with a severe deficiency of iodine, will probably need a supplement along the lines of lugols to reach body sufficiency.

I had an increase in energy from lugols, i was iodine deficient but i switched to iodoral to correct that which is a tablet form and it did help to displace heavy metals for me, but i wouldn't really recommend or use lugols unless you believe you are low in iodine and even then start small. I see several sites recommending very high doses of iodine which is not needed and can actually be detrimental.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: May 25, 2012 05:09PM

<<<john rose

just interested in why you say to not take the lugol's with green juice
what are the contraindications for this combination>>>

These are not my recommendations - they come from The Gerson Institute and I don't know why it's contraindicated.

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: May 25, 2012 06:46PM

What do you think of Atomidine -

[www.cayce.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

That's what I use for maybe five days at a time every few months just in case I'm low on iodine.

Is it less iodine than Lugol's? Actually, I can tell because it's not as strong tasting.

Date: May 25, 2012 10:00PM

hi john rose

thanks for giving mem the source
much appreciated

powerlifter

kelp is just an analog of b-12, huh?
i've heard of analogs, its confusing
can you clarify?

what are the ramifications?
also, why is iodine also considered unsafe in higher dosages?
thanks for taking time to answer this

Date: May 28, 2012 10:03PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> panchito
>
> am intrigued to know what positive changes took
> place
> could you describe them

well, I went on a trip but the airline lost the luggage. The luggage had the small lugol bottle but I'll be getting another smiling smiley

It had a quick effect on me. I improved on endurance (sports) and gave me a feeling of well being. Improved sleeping too.

Date: May 28, 2012 10:16PM

I felt better right away too. More energy and focus and I stopped mysteriously putting on weight for no darn good reason.

Date: May 29, 2012 05:27AM

Huh, very interesting. Looks as if that iodine affects a complex host of biochemical pathways.

I wonder if tour de france cyclists who take lugol's would be considered "doping" LOL, just kidding.

Date: May 29, 2012 09:02AM

la_veronique Wrote:
> powerlifter
>
> kelp is just an analog of b-12, huh?
> i've heard of analogs, its confusing
> can you clarify?
>
> what are the ramifications?
> also, why is iodine also considered unsafe in
> higher dosages?
> thanks for taking time to answer this

No no what i meant was that sea vegetables although often reported to contain vitamin B12 actually only contain B12 analogues which can be active or inactive but even still need other nutrients in order to be absorbed. Not something i would rely on for a vitamin B12 source with the minimal research available.

Iodine in higher doses can in some individuals cause hyperthyroidism, also for some with auto-immune disorders such as auto-immune hashimotos disease consuming high levels of iodine can aggrevate the condition.

Its often amazing to see people get instantanious benefits from consuming a solid iodine source and goes to show that iodine deficiency and sub-optimal levels of iodine are still a major issue in my opinion for many. I know many woman who have fibrocystic breasts and have cleared it up with iodine supplementation.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: May 29, 2012 12:07PM

powerlifter

thanks for your response
yeah, my bad in the grammar i used to make the sentence confusing
yeah, i didn't mean that kelp per se was an analogue of B-12 but contained analogs

so, i guess my main question was , what exactly IS an "analog" and what are the ramifications concerning analogs and B-12 analogs. I think i tried doing a bit of research prior ( a while back) but then, kinda just gave up because the language was so labyrinthical ...

my understanding from your post alone is that a b-12 analog requires other nutrients to be readily absorbed

what would these other nutrients be? i have a bottle of kelp... what do u recommend i use with it to get the b-12 to be "active"

also u say:

<<I had an increase in energy from lugols, i was iodine deficient but i switched to iodoral to correct that which is a tablet form and it did help to displace heavy metals for me, but i wouldn't really recommend or use lugols unless you believe you are low in iodine and even then start small. I see several sites recommending very high doses of iodine which is not needed and can actually be detrimental.>>

can u tell me more about iodoral and why you consider it a more feasible form than lugol's... in the past i've heard both rave reviews and equally "bad" things concerning lugols... it was probably because of concentration issues though wouldn't just taking a lot less and calibrating it to one's condition do the trick?

yeah, i've heard of how iodine can be a double edged sword ... both curing and causing thyroid issues... funny thing that asians don't seem to suffer much from thyroid issues but they eat seaweed on a daily basis... i wonder if its due to seaweed containing analogs of b-12?

thanks for your response previous
much appreciated

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 29, 2012 12:21PM

I am supposed to believe that 20 minutes later, everything changed. What u credulous people should do imo if u want to provide intelligent discourse, is to test your blood prior to supplementation, or provide an indication of goiter or other unique symptoms.

Date: May 29, 2012 12:37PM

Yup, I'm scheduled for another thyroid test to see if my levels have improved. The wait between tests is 6 weeks so, as I said before, I'll post my results when I get them.
I have chronic low iron, it runs in my family actually, so I take a whole food (vegetarian) supplement for 3 months on, 1 month off. I notice by the end of the month that I'm missing it, believe me. Then I feel better after about a week of taking them again. Since I've been doing this for decades now, I'm pretty sure my observations are accurate.

Date: May 29, 2012 01:02PM

fresh Wrote:
> I am supposed to believe that 20 minutes later,
> everything changed. What u credulous people should
> do imo if u want to provide intelligent discourse,
> is to test your blood prior to supplementation, or
> provide an indication of goiter or other unique
> symptoms.

uh? I think you supposed wrong. Nobody is making the effort to specifically provide you with intelligent discourse, only stating opinions. But now, you can make blood tests to satisfy your intelligence and then write back here the data and a few graphs. That is intelligence smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 29, 2012 01:07PM

fresh,

I'd had sporadic diagnosed thyroid problems, with low thyroid hormones presenting, on and off for years. For me(on Iosol, not Lugols), it took a couple of days to feel the effects of iodine supplementation. A water soluble liquid idodine--like Lugol's--can be quickly metabolized in deficiency, as the receptors in the thyroid and mammary glands(and elsewhere) are starved for it.

la_v, Iodoral tablets are a fractionated iodine: they have both iodine and iodide, iodine's metabolized ionic form. Most liquid iodines need to be spliced by your liver to create iodide. If the liver is very compromised, the doctor would probably recommend an iodide containing version. But my liver wasn't super healthy when I started taking Iosol, and the impact was almost immediate, as I said, so . . .

Date: May 29, 2012 03:07PM

>uh? I think you supposed wrong. Nobody is making the effort to specifically provide you with intelligent discourse, only stating opinions. But now, you can make blood tests to satisfy your intelligence and then write back here the data and a few graphs. That is intelligence

fine. and i am saying that your statement
..."as I took it (20 minutes later) you can feel it change everything"

is not believable.

>>fresh,
I'd had sporadic diagnosed thyroid problems, with low thyroid hormones presenting, on and off for years. For me(on Iosol, not Lugols), it took a couple of days to feel the effects of iodine supplementation. A water soluble liquid idodine--like Lugol's--can be quickly metabolized in deficiency, as the receptors in the thyroid and mammary glands(and elsewhere) are starved for it.

thank you Tamukha.

Date: May 29, 2012 04:03PM

fresh Wrote:
> I am supposed to believe that 20 minutes later,
> everything changed. What u credulous people should
> do imo if u want to provide intelligent discourse,
> is to test your blood prior to supplementation, or
> provide an indication of goiter or other unique
> symptoms.

Blood iodine testing is actually rather useless in regards to body iodine levels which is why an iodine loading test is probably as good as you will get. Of course after consuming the supplement blood iodine levels will likely increase but this means nothing really.

Goiter doesn't have to occur to be deficient in iodine, infact goiter can be caused by other issues also. You will find that many with severe vitamin or mineral deficiencies can notice instant improvements upon supplementation.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2012 04:04PM by powerlifer.

Date: May 29, 2012 04:08PM

fresh Wrote:

> fine. and i am saying that your statement
> ..."as I took it (20 minutes later) you can feel
> it change everything"
>
> is not believable.

Is not believable or you don't believe it?

You are free to form your own opinions and that is good. Language has a lot of tricks. The biggest trick of all is to believe in abstract thoughts.

Peace

Date: May 29, 2012 05:27PM

>Is not believable or you don't believe it?

i am not calling you a liar.

i am saying that we humans are quite open to suggestion,
placebo effect, assuming invalid correlations, etc.

if i were to tell you, i think i am low in fat, and i ate an avocado
and all my health problems, that i just KNOW are attributable to low fat,
were solved within 20 minutes of ingestion, you might not believe it.

How Long Does It Take for Iodine Supplementation to Work?
Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:08 AM
Print this Page
Forward Page
Email Us
Question: On the advice of my chiropractor, I started taking Iodoral 10 days ago. What is the average time frame is for people to notice positive effects of iodine supplementation?
Dr. Brownstein's Answer:
Unfortunately, I can’t give you an exact time frame for when you will feel better. However, most patients notice the positive effects with iodine within a few weeks of taking it.
Iodine is best taken as part of a holistic treatment regimen which emphasizes a healthy diet. Furthermore, iodine works best when given with the appropriate synergistic nutrients, such as selenium, vitamin C, magnesium, and B vitamins.
The best results are achieved by working with a holistic healthcare practitioner knowledgeable about iodine.

Read more: How Long Does It Take for Iodine Supplementation to Work?
Important: At Risk For A Heart Attack? Find Out Now.

Date: May 29, 2012 05:37PM

I'd say a noticable difference happened withing 2-3 weeks for me, and by this I mean sustained, as in I felt better all day long rather than just briefly directly after taking it.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables