Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does Organic Food Turn People Into Jerks?
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: May 19, 2012 10:16PM

Read the Comments --

[todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com]

But we'll have the last laugh in twenty years when these idiots are all taking tons of 'meds' for all their health problems and we're feeling great! They'll all be driving around in those motorized carts buying their sodas and chips smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does Organic Food Turn People Into Jerks?
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 19, 2012 10:28PM

I think some of it is... something very common encountered simply by being polite, eating raw, being cordial and not even discussing a peep about diet... some people who eat loads of garbage suddenly FEEL judged simply by the sight of seeing people do what they probably know would make them feel better on a subconscious level.

It's like, I'll be sitting here, eating a bowl of salad, minding my own business, and sometimes it will attract loads of comments like, "Oh, aren't YOU so healthy!!" "Wow!! I need to eat like that!!" "Oh my gosh, I could never do that!" "No wonder you're so skinny!!" "You must feel SO good!" When... I didn't do anything. Except eat my food and mind my business.

Plus, yes, I do have a low BMI, and yes, I do have more energy since I cleaned up my diet. But if you chime in with those comments, all of a sudden, you could be perceived as stuck up, so I just keep my mouth shut and full of sprouts. tongue sticking out smiley

There are probably certain sects of trendy cities where people are jerks, though. The year I spent in Vancouver = perfect example of nightmare hipster scene. But those places are few and far from the general reality... most people into organics are literally a bit more down to earth. It's great to get some dirt under your fingernails. The hipsters would never do that.

Those same hipsters being rude and shopping at Whole Foods also likely carry $$$$$ dead animal skin bags. winking smiley 'Cause it's TRENDY!

If mindless trendiness does currently encourage cutting down on the amount of cruelty against the planet, I think it's still doing more good than harm. Some people just lose sight of kindness to fellow man... One step at a time, I suppose. smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 19, 2012 10:38PM

Well, the last ten or so jerks I've encountered have been conventional SAD eaters, by the looks of them, so I declare the exact opposite as what Eskine has concluded. The methods of this "study" are about as valid as mine, hah!

The comments deriding the variable group in the study certainly didn't seem to suggest that non organic shoppers are generally kinder and more charitable, LOL!

Posted by: HH ()
Date: May 19, 2012 11:19PM

Haha.

Refutes that organic eaters are jerks...calls non-organic eaters "idiots" and gloats over self-proclaimed superior health. smiling smiley

Not a good study. NBC is connected to all kinds of industries. It's probably just anti-organic propaganda/non-organic marketing. How many sponsors in the non-organic food industry do you figure they have?

KidRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Read the Comments --
>
> [todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com]
> 05/18/11737146-does-organic-food-turn-people-into-
> jerks#comments
>
> But we'll have the last laugh in twenty years when
> these idiots are all taking tons of 'meds' for all
> their health problems and we're feeling great!
> They'll all be driving around in those motorized
> carts buying their sodas and chips smiling smiley

Date: May 20, 2012 06:00AM

This screams of SPONSORSHIP!

Posted by: rab ()
Date: May 21, 2012 12:51PM

They protect the majority from 'organic thinking'. They keep the organic population to a minimum. If you don't try to make millions of people aware of advantages of eating healthy, nobody will bother you. If the organic group becomes too large, they will use propaganda like this to minimize the damage.

I actually accepted this 'minority' status for good. Very intelligent friends of mine can't even quit smoking let alone change eating habits. Addictions cannot be beaten. People need to evolve from inside, which is a much more complex process.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: May 21, 2012 03:09PM

This has to be one of the most laughable articles I have read.
Thanks for brightening up my day,as I sip on my organic lemon and melon juice.
VINNY

Date: May 21, 2012 06:34PM

I told someone else about this and he told me about some other study where a raised-from-birth-organic family still had something like 80 different toxins in their bloodstream.

Well, if you are eating organic and there is STILL that much crap in the environment (which... there is), all the more reason to KEEP eating organic!!

And besides, how many MORE toxins do you think there'd be in a SAD blood sample at any given time? Funny how no comparisons were taken...

Date: May 21, 2012 06:54PM

I don't suppose that NBC will be reporting a study any time soon which concludes that getting filthy-rich from selling missiles, bad entertainment, and garbage food turns people into jerks.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 21, 2012 09:14PM

I don't listen to El Rushbo very often, but I heard about 2 min. of his show this morning and he brought up the article. He said that when he thinks of organic, he thinks of vegetarians. And he says there are two kinds of vegetarians: conversatives, who eat this way and mind their business and LIBERAL ones who want YOU to eat their way, too.

(Note: I like the radio and take in all opinions, so I am aware of Rush's schtick and am not in agreeement with most of his views.)

Date: May 22, 2012 01:42PM

banana who,

They live in fear. Fear is their kingdom. Fortunately, it exists on no map or atlas in my home, so I'll never visit smiling smiley

Date: May 22, 2012 06:31PM

Oy vey. To one degree or another, we all have our personal fears that we live in. I'm afraid of conventional produce. That fear makes sense to me and is completely ludicrous to others. The day that I can place myself above fear is the day that I have it all figured out. Congratulations if you've made it there. You're the first in recorded history to do so. smiling smiley

Date: May 23, 2012 01:17AM

HH,

Yes, yes, what I meant was that their sort dwells in unrealistic/imagined fear; you know, stochastic fear. The things you fear or I fear are realistic ones.

But something tells me you already know that I was making a distinction winking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 23, 2012 01:41AM

Sure. If that person is already a jerk. If not, well then I guess my answer would have to be No.

Date: May 23, 2012 01:46AM

HH, may I ask why particularly you fear conventional produce?

I avoid it at all costs and my stomach is starting to really learn the difference (especially with greens)...

Date: May 23, 2012 03:10AM

I just fear it in the sense that I try to avoid it for all the usual reasons. Is it an irrational fear? Some would say yes, others no. Organic standards are so low that I don't even know if it makes much of a difference. I lock my doors at night. That's probably a fear-induced habit, and most likely an unrealistic one considering where I live. I'm just saying we all have fears. I tend to see it in most if not all political choices. Yes, Limbaugh fans indulge their own fears, but Mother Jones readers have their irrationally conceived monsters too. Most of it is based in ignorance. Some is tinged with reality. I'm just a long time liberal who finally realized that bias is alive and well in everyone. Anyone who claims to not possess it in one way or another is kidding themselves.

The last time I listened to Limbaugh was on April 20, 1999. I was driving east out of Colorado near the Nebraska border after a long stint in Ft. Collins. There was nothing on the radio and I had a long stretch of cornfield before me. Being a captive audience, I decided to finally find out what this Rush Limbaugh guy is all about. After he railed against bicycles and the "long-haired dope-smoking hippies" (i.e. yours truly) who ride them, the big, distressing news of that infamous day came rolling in. We sure got a lot of fear that day.

phantom Wrote:
> HH, may I ask why particularly you fear
> conventional produce?
>
> I avoid it at all costs and my stomach is starting
> to really learn the difference (especially with
> greens)...

Date: May 23, 2012 03:18AM

Since I can't resist being the "jerk" who plays devil's advocate smiling smiley, many studies have shown links between low cholesterol diets and depression, suicide, violence, and all around mental irascibility. This is pure assumption, and perhaps bias, but I'll go ahead and say that from my experience most Seattle organic eaters are also on a low-fat/low cholesterol diet. In other words, the reason behind the jerky behavior probably goes a bit deeper than organic vs. non-organic and shouldn't be comprehensively waved off as matrix media hooey.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: May 23, 2012 01:24PM

If a person is a jerk it has nothing to do with their diet.
I can see it now...someday foods will be labeled with their effects on personality,and I bet fast food will be promoted as making you calm and loving.
Or more like sedated.

Date: May 23, 2012 03:13PM

I beg to differ. A lack of vital nutrients can absolutely cause depression. Depression often manifests itself as jerk-esque behavior. It's a common symptom of depression.

[www.psychologytoday.com]

[www.helpguide.org]

eaglefly Wrote:
> If a person is a jerk it has nothing to do with
> their diet.
> I can see it now...someday foods will be labeled
> with their effects on personality,and I bet fast
> food will be promoted as making you calm and
> loving.
> Or more like sedated.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 25, 2012 08:58AM

not sure if organic foods turn people into jerks

but the continual exposure to this sort of fluff will most defintely turn your mind to mush

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables